In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Trucks target of discrimination

Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
edited April 2002 in General Discussion
Here is some more anti truck bullcrap. Truck taxes paid for most of the interstates, we have to keep record of each and everymile we drive in each state and we are taxed accordingly. We also pay high taxes at the pumps and each truck has to pay a highway use tax each year or the truck cannot be run on the public highway. Now VA is going to kick us off the raod we paid for, give it to the 4 wheelers and force us to drive on a toll road all the while we will probably not get tax breaks for the toll raods which means we are double taxed. This happens in a lot of states, pay the toll and still have to file the miles each quarter and pay up for it. Truckers get the attitude we own the road, in a sense we do. If it wasnt for trucks you would still be driving on 2 lane roads, we paid for those interstates and treated like a cancer for driving on them. Now VA wants us off of their precious I81 so the cars don't have to deal with us. This makes me wish more and more for an all out truck strike, we are tired of being taken for granted and when the grocery stores run empty maybe the public will wake up and do something about these stupid discriminating laws. We feed America but America don't want us on THEIR roads, in THEIR way, going to Disney Land is more important than a truck making a delivery.

Sorry about the rant, there are two things that absolutely burn me, anti 2nd Amendment and anti truck politicians. Here's the story;

Virginia Gov. Mark Warner signed legislation into law over the weekend that will enable state officials to reach full fist into the pockets of truckdrivers using Interstate 81 while letting other motorists pass by unscathed.

Warner signed HB1373 allowing tolls on trucks using I-81 to help pay for widening plans. The bill amends Virginia's Public-Private Transportation Act to permit tolls on trucks using the 325-mile stretch of road from Winchester to Bristol. Cars would travel the remaining toll-free lanes.

The provision is essential to a private consortium's plan to widen the state's portion of I-81 to eight lanes and reserve four lanes for commercial trucks. The consortium's financing plan relies heavily on tolls.

Truckdriver and OOIDA board member John Taylor of Cross Junction, VA, says "We need the additional lanes on I-81, as well as other highways, but it's certainly unfair to ask the trucks to pay for it all. It's benefitting the people in the automobiles as it is the trucker. We're not in a big profit margin business to start with. Many truckers and companies are going broke. It's not like we're making a tremendous amount of money. This obviously would be an extra burden on the industry.

"It's immaterial to the trucker how we pay for the roads as long as it's fair," says Taylor. "Are they going to relieve us from ton-mile or fuel taxes on that road? Are we going to be paying the same amount of taxes or more? That's the question I want answered."

Taylor says he also is concerned about the precedent decisions like this creates. "Private toll roads appear to be the route the nation is taking," he says. "States are looking to put future road building in the hands of private contractors and toll road systems. The trucking industry must gear itself to this."

The Commonwealth Transportation Board and the Federal Highway Administration must approve the widening plan and decide whether to impose tolls.
-- Keith Goble

Comments

• Options
    gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't you just love that summer tourist traffic on I-81. Used to run I-81 twice a week. A lot of the politicians and general public fail to understand that a US truck driver is a highly trained and licensed professional (excluding some student mill drivers) and provides an essential service delivering goods that keep the country's businesses and industries operating. One local politician said that if the truckers can make a go of it with all the regulations and taxes then they should get into another business that is more profitable. Just figure out how much time of your alotted hours that you spend at weigh and inspection stations, traffic tie up caused by 4 wheelers, take time off for a drug test, etc., etc., then ask anybody else if they would be willing to take the same amount of hassels and spend the same amount of time at their job and not get paid for it. Maybe the trucking industry should be scaled down (we could be train conductors) so the road could be given back to the 4 wheelers and let them and the public bear the higher fuel costs and tax burden to keep the highways in repair and the politicians paid. Oh, I got to stop.

Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.
  • Options
    will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    # of trucks abreast equal to lanes on highway plus 35 or less mph=mayhem! I love it! Bet it works.

It has become my purpose in life to comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable.. will270win@aol.com ~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't agree w/ all that was expressed here, but giving a free ride to passenger vehicles not only puts a burden on commercial vehicles, but also on those who don't use the road at all - in the form of higher prices for those goods delivered by truck . . . most, if not all, will end up being paid at the retail point of sale. And, not unlikely, some manufacturers / freight companies will add in just a little extra while the prices are rising. But that will be less visible to the general public than a dramatic rise in tolls, so the politicians cover their butts yet again.
  • Options
    bhayes420bhayes420 Member Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    7mm, sorry to disagree with some of your post, but you stated:"Truckers get the attitude we own the road, in a sense we do. If it wasnt for trucks you would still be driving on 2 lane roads, we paid for those interstates..." Look back at the beginning of the interstate highway. What were they built for? Rapid movement of troops during times of national emergencies and times of war. Nothing more, nothing less. That was the jist of the Eisenhower plan for the roads. I am not knocking truckers. I was one at one time. My Dad owns a road construction company and owns 28 tractors and 24 dumps. I can empathize with you to a point. But everytime I fill my truck up or my wife's car up, I pay a 6-cent per gallon state tax. That 6-cents per gallon is dedicated to road repair and building in my state. On top of that is a federal tax that is supposed to go to the same thing on a federal level. So...I own just as much of that road as a trucker does. I agree that truckers catch a lot of sh**, some of it justified, most of it not. I guess the point I am trying to make is that the interstate system is just as much for my 4-wheeler as it is for your 18-wheeler. And when the govt. decides they need it in a time of national emergency, all of us will be on 2 lane roads while tanks go down the interstate.

The topic of the toll road plans are interesting. Several years ago KY built the Parkway system using the toll road concept. All roads would be built like interstate highways with limited accesibility and paid for using tolls. The bill authorizing the spending had a provision in it that said after enough tolls were collected to pay for the road, the toll would be removed. Sure enough, after about 15 years, the money was paid back and the govt. removed the toll booths. In this case, everyone paid the tolls, not just truckers, and the plan worked like a charm. KY got a few good roads out of the deal that otherwise would not have been built. And if you know anything about KY, you know they need all the good road they can get!
  • Options
    GrandWizardGrandWizard Member Posts: 109 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    How about if the Fed's start taxing all those Mexican trucks that are pouring through the border all over the Southwest ? Is anyone else sick of politicians ?
  • Options
    robsgunsrobsguns Member Posts: 4,581 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I dont know the whole issue, but I do know this, all vehicles should be subject to the same charges for using the road. Some will say that trucks do more damage, yeah, that may be, but I rely on those trucks to run my country, not bubba joe pulling his atv to the dunes for the weekend, so I say screw all the vehicles, not just the ones I depend upon for everything from diapers to bullets. Seems fair to me. I dont have to pay a bunch of taxes for using a road when I travel through a state I dont live in, I dont see why I shouldnt if truckers do, although I dont agree with the truckers paying it. Its bull. Each state wants to be free to make their own rules, and claim the tax is neeeded to pay for the roads, I assume. Too bad the money doesnt get spread around evenly that way, though. The system of road repair is broken, and needs fixed. I dont have the solution, because I am ignorant of how these things work, but I know what the solution isnt, its not taxing the crap out of people for doing their job, just because that job happens to involve using the roadways, and then letting bubba joe off scott free. With that type of logic, I think every police officer and meter maid should be taxed for driving his city owned car, by the mile, for the performance of his duties, as well as airline pilots, for endangering the sky ways, and how about taxi cab drivers, I'm sure they are more responsible for the streets being torn up too, and yeah, how about bus drivers, both for the schools and the tourist industry. Sounds pretty stupid doesnt it? I bet it doesnt sound so stupid to 7mm nut.

SSgt Ryan E. Roberts, USMC
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I admit, when the interstates was built it was built for different reasons. But where does the brunt of the money come from? My last year I spent in my truck as an owner operator I paid over $30,000 in taxes for road use! The PA turnpike charges trucks $80+ dollars to go from the ohio line to the Jersey line, Ohio TP is $40 line to line, NYC charges $50 to go in and out of the city, the ny thruway charges in the neighborhood of $75 dollars line to line and then you add a wieght/ mile tax, fuel pump taxes and the dreaded 2290 tax of $550 just to get an IRP! A truck spends roughly $600 a week in fuel alone. Some will say it's because we tear the roads up, well the money to build those roads come from us, and then these state restrict the use by trucks because somebody doesnt want to get stuck behind a truck in the left lane, but the trucks have to bow down to the cars. It's ok for a truck to get stuck behind a car that won't move but a car get's stuck behind a truck and everybody gets mad and wants the truck in the right lane doing 55mph. If the trucks are going to pay all that money for the raods we should be allowed to use them as much as the cars, but no we cant do that because the people going to the movies on saturday night are more important than a truck that just got screwed on the dock and needs to go.

This is a very touchy subject for me, just as gun owners don't like bullcrap laws, we truckers HATE laws that restrict us from using the roads like everbody else. And for those of you that think a truck is unsafe at highway speeds, I trust a truck at 75 mph more than I do a car with some dingy woman putting on makeup and yakking on the phone.
  • Options
    TOOLS1TOOLS1 Member Posts: 6,133
    edited November -1
    My Grandfather drove trucks all his life. His first truck had solid rubber tires. He drove Donner pass when it was two lanes with a gas engine and vacume breaks.
    I also had two uncles that made there liveings driveing trucks.
    I myself drove trucks for several years. Both as an Owner Operator and a hired driver. I have drinen all 48 states parts of Canada and Mexico.
    When My Grandfather and uncles drove truck drivers were respected. A truck would be the first vehicle to stop to help if you were broken down. To day people will rob, cheat and steal from truckers. It is not safe to drive trucks any more.
    But not all of the people that are cheating and stealing frome the truckdrivers are the con artest and thugs that hang around truck stops and rest areas. Thay are siting in offices brokering loads or in conunty or state and even fedral goverment. Thinking of new ways to seperate truckers from there money.
    I had always thought that this was suposed to be the UNITED States of America. But every time you cross a state line the laws change. Sometimes it is not as confusing to cross a border. It has gotten to the point that you just about have a law degree to drive a truck.
    After seeing a driver hand cuffed to the grab rail on the side of his truck in a weigh station. One night in Feb in the rain. While his truck was torn apart and searched, because he would not give permission for the inspectors to enter his cab. I decided to go home and sell my two trucks.
    I have been much happyier since. I used to enjoy driveing trucks. I did not enjoy the fear of being pulled over at a weigh station. Even though I ran legal. The fear of being robed while waiting to load or unload. Not being able to aford to feed and cloth my family after paying more in fuel tax than I could pay myself.
    So 7mm nut I am with you on this. But if I can not get the respect that my Grandfather and Uncles would get I will have to stay home. At least I know the ruels here.
    Best to you TOOLS
  • Options
    Diesel DummyDiesel Dummy Member Posts: 193 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get over it or get out of it!!! You shiney wheels can't even agree on the time of day - a strike - what a joke! You ridicule Teamsters, who struck eight years ago to maintain their wages & benefits, but at least there is a group of truckers who can agree on something. Talked to two Smith Transport drivers last night who were looking for a change - to earn more than pocket change. Go whine on your C.B. from the back row of the Pilot.
  • Options
    groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    7mm Nut, Up until now we have agreed on about everything on this site. Now I beg to differ!! You think if the trucks strike it will make us appreciate you more? I have said for 25 years if I could get the egg farmers to bust their eggs, the dairy farmers to dump their milk, the beef farmers to not ship an animal, the vegatable growers to not ship one tomato, the poultry farmers to not ship one turkey or chicken, and everyone else involved with food production agriculture to not ship their goods for two weeks we'd rule the world!!!!! My dad said to me on my graduation day from VA TECH, "Son, I don't know why you're getting a degree in Dairy Science instead of engineering or ballistics, you haven't done anything for four years but shoot groundhogs and work on rifles!!" I said" Daddy, They can build another road, build another office building, build another apartment building or build more houses. Everybody on that road, in that office, in those apartments, in those houses has one thing in common. THEY ALL GET HUNGRY!!!!! A strike by your trucking buddies wouldn't have near the effect as a strike by the farmers!!!!! But the same thing that holds back the farmer strike also holds true for your industry. You'll never get full cooperation from everybody involved. The farmers will say " I can't stand to dump my milk" or "I've got to ship those eggs" or I've got to ship that load of produce". They can't see that if they'd sacrifice 2 weeks they'd have a lifetime to reap the benefits!! You'll have them guys that say " I can't make my truck payment this month if I don't run for 2 weeks." Guess who will be on I-81!!! As far as the original topic goes, I don't think the trucking industry needs to bear the whole cost of widening the road. (You won't anyway, all of the consumers wll pay for it because the trucking industry will raise it's rate to make up the difference!!!) Farming is the only industry that pays retail for all of it's inputs but sells itself for wholesale!!!! I drive I-81 a lot and yes I'd like to pass you by and wave a freindly wave as you're blocking the left lane and your trucking buddy is in the right lane and neither one of the trucks will go any faster so you all just stay side by side at 62MPH for miles!!! Don't get me started on who is important to this country!!! And if you get to VA this fall you're more than welcome to come to my house, eat my food, shoot my guns and hunt my land!!!! GHD
  • Options
    sandman2234sandman2234 Member Posts: 894 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A lot more could be said, but I think people will believe what they want to believe. Most of the commments given were understood, with the exception of one. I do not understand, or appreciate the comments made by diesel dummy. From the sound of it, he has let the unions go to his head. Not all jobs are available under the canopy of a union, and if all were, there would be no reason to have a union. Dispite what you think of non-union jobs, you should grow up.

Have Gun, will travel
  • Options
    SUBMARINERSUBMARINER Member Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    good lord not this again!iconclastyou will not see the price go up in the supermarket because unlike any other business i know of you cant recoup your expense in this industry,if you try theyll just find someone else.free market i guess.diesel dummy did you park it last year when ooida tryed to strike?were you "job scared"/ worried your boss might find someone else to fill the void occupied by your butt?the problem is most truckers are young and inexperienced and dont know that if they are fired today they will be working somewhere else tomorrow.ive parked the last two times that theyve struck but if you got those people that call the ones willing to sit at home "whiners" and keep rolling down the hiway it does no one any good.act like ya gotta pair would ya.tolls taxes and the only industry i know of with its very own gun wielding gestapo.ime with ya 7mm,shut'em down

SUBMARINE SAILOR,TRUCK DRIVER,NE'ER DO WELL, INSTIGATOR,AND RUSTY WALLACE FAN
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Walt, I confess that I have no inside experience w/ the retail market, particularly in food. But as a consumer, I don't see retail prices on any goods go down when transportation costs rise, whether from fuel, labor costs, taxes, tolls or whatever. Retail operations may attempt to hold the line to maintain market share, but at some point, that strategy has to become self-defeating. And the gist of my post stands - (a) this is a sleazy political way to avoid irritating voters (b) placed on the backs of commercial operators. 7mm & his brethren have every reason to be p***ed off.
  • Options
    TOOLS1TOOLS1 Member Posts: 6,133
    edited November -1
    When I drove and the fuel prices went sky high and there was a rate hike I never received one cent of it!
    Why dont (and I have said this before) truckers boycott one city at a time. Just think if nothing was hauled in or out of a city for one week. Say Chicgo and if that dont get you what you want then boycott New York. And so on and so on. This way nobody has to park there truck and not be able to pay there bills. Although I am sure that some revanue would be lost. But nothing like no money comeing in at all.
    But there we go again with the proublum of the United in United States of America. There is no United any more. And untill we can become united we are at the mercy of those we chose to folow.
    TOOLS
  • Options
    SUBMARINERSUBMARINER Member Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    TOOLS YOUR RIGHT IN 3 DAYS THE PEOPLE OF NEW YORK WOULD BE HUNGRY AND WIPING THEIR BUTTS WITH SEARS INSERTS.YOUR IDEA WORKS,IF WE COULD JUST MAKE IT HAPPEN...

SUBMARINE SAILOR,TRUCK DRIVER,NE'ER DO WELL, INSTIGATOR,AND RUSTY WALLACE FAN
  • Options
    Diesel DummyDiesel Dummy Member Posts: 193 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sandman - worked both, owned my own for a while. My point is, little boy, do your best, if you can't compete or it makes your life miserable GET OUT OF IT !!!! I don't give a damn if you flip burgers or clean stalls, if your job makes your life miserable give it up, move on, GET A LIFE ! No, I'm not brainwashed. I just found a trailer truckin' job that suits me. Still has it's ups & downs but you will never hear me whine about my company or my occupation on the web (or C.B.).

Why don't you clue us in - how long have you been "out here" & how many companies have you pulled for?
  • Options
    sandman2234sandman2234 Member Posts: 894 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Been out there" since March, 1980. Considering the apron of Ameritruck companies as one, although they changed names several times, and the different companies that I hauled mail for,doing basically the same job, the one company I drove local for here in Jax, and then the one I am with now. Four, or eleven, depending on how you look at it. Been some good times, and some bad at most of them, but they still paid me a decent wage, although some better than others. I understand 7mm's fustration with the taxes. I think that they all should have limits as to how much they can take out of a truckdriver's pocket. I can run all over the South and never pay a toll, but if I go up the east coast, I had better have a couple hundred dollars in my pocket. And who's roads are better? And why?

Have Gun, will travel