In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

My Doctor likes Guns...

texshootertexshooter Member Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2002 in General Discussion
We all occasionally read an article, usually published by medical organizations, telling how "most" doctors are against guns. Just thought i might mention that my family doctor collects and shoots, and drives a 4WD Surbanan. Hope he does not get kicked out of the AMA, after i tell this...

Comments

• Options
    LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    Mine too. He drives a Jeep Wrangler and has a gun collection, including a Thompson, that makes mine look like junk.The AMA speaks for "all" doctors about the same as the NEA speaks for "all" teachers. They belong to these organizations as a 'necessary evil' part of their career. I've met few doctors and teachers who concur with much of what the AMA or NEA has to say.
    Lord Lowrider the LoquaciousMember:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets She was only a fisherman's daughter,But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • Options
    JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am good friends with a family of physicians, all of whom are shooters and have nice collections of guns, many of which I supplied to them. They do not agree with the liberal AMA on many issues, including gun control and abortion. I quit the liberal ABA for the same reasons; I cannot support an organization that takes positions so opposed to my core beliefs. I think the AMA and ABA should stick to medical and legal issues, not political issues. Of course, each would argue gun control and abortion ARE medical and legal issues.
  • Options
    sandman2234sandman2234 Member Posts: 894 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ok, but what do you do with an oldest Sister that is about as anti-gun as they come? She made a statement about my latest machinegun purchase as being "stupid" and if she could, she would remove every gun from the country. She is an RN that worked the emergency rooms for about twenty years. Drives me crazy, but she won't listen to reason. Just keeps saying, "Have you ever had to tell some parents that their 7 year old won't be coming home again?" From a gun that one of the neighbors had under the pillow?
    Have Gun, will travel
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe you should tell her that outlawing guns in the hands of law-abiding citizens would increase those numbers of emergency room visits. Tell her to do her job and stop whining. It's what she gets paid to do right? It reminds me of other "professionals" whose jobs entail dealing with that which is less than pleasant. They see dead people, broken homes and witness the results violent acts. Then the dramatize and romanticize the work that they do and look for a pat on the back and special priviledges. Just grow up and do your job or quit! How does someone become an RN and then get all teary-eyed over someone that comes into the ER? That's like a mortician whining about all the death that he has to deal with on a daily basis. HELLO!
  • Options
    locdoclocdoc Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    idsman75,VERY WELL PUT !!Doug
  • Options
    Matt45Matt45 Member Posts: 3,185
    edited November -1
    IDs-The last was poor form old boy!As an 11B1P I train for war, but hope for peace! Doesn't mean that I won't do my job, but, IF I had a choice.........I'd expect you to understand this= Most LEO's would love to be out of a job, same goes for doctors, firemen, ect, ect, ect.Her attitude does suck- IMHO she's suffering from the classic "fear of the unknown", the simple flawed logic-based flow chart for folks not schooled or familer with firearms is usually: "People use Gun= Gun hurt people= No Gun= No hurt= Gun BAD!"
    Reserving my Right to Arm Bears!!!!
  • Options
    sandman2234sandman2234 Member Posts: 894 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    No to the idea that she didn't get properly introduced to firearms. She was one of five that grew up together and we all had the same training. Dad was and still is very "gun" minded. Sister just got ahold of some bad info from somewhere. She quotes pro-gun like somebody has been preaching at her about her views, but won't listen to herself or others.

Have Gun, will travel