In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Maadi-Griffin .50 Kit Owners:Don't Fall for BATF Entrapment(FOLLOWUP)

Josey1Josey1 Member Posts: 9,598 ✭✭
edited March 2002 in General Discussion
Maadi-Griffin .50 Kit Owners:Don't Fall for BATF Entrapmentby David Codreacodrea4@adelphia.net March 22, 2002I'm not a lawyer. I am absolutely unqualified to give anyone legal advice.But I can tell you what I would do if I got a letter from BATF ordering me to sign a form admitting to violating federal firearm edicts under penalty of perjury: I would GET competent legal advice.BATF's coercive actions have all the markings of a grand ENTRAPMENT scheme - right now, they have no PROOF that any of you on the Stewart list are currently in possession of the gunkit. But that hasn't stopped them from trying to intimidate you and other kit owners into forfeiting your Fourth and Fifth Amendment rights, in addition to your Second.BATF's stated position is that the kits which THEY designate as "firearms" are in violation of federal law. They say that the weapons are subject to forfeiture. They CLAIM their primary objective is to ensure a serial number is stamped on the receiver. But they make no assurances that they will not seize the kit or prosecute you. Nor, legally, CAN they give such assurance - and even if they did intend to give you a pass, there are no guarantees that prosecutions could not be forced by later rulings.So here is my admittedly unqualified advice to all kit owners:RUN, don't walk to an attorney competent in such matters. If you don't know such an attorney, contact your gun owning friends or gun organizations you belong to for a referral. Show the BATF demand to the attorney and then follow his or her advice. Any compliance, any form completions, any firearms stampings should only be done as per competent legal advice.In the meantime do NOT let them entrap you into incriminating yourself! Admit to nothing. Sign nothing. If contacted by BATF, decline to speak with them. If they show up to see you, ask to see a warrant. If they don't have one, don't let them intimidate you into making any statements or entering your premises. If they DO have a warrant, say nothing except that you want to see your lawyer.Can't afford a lawyer? Yes you can - you can't afford NOT to have one, and you need to get one without delay. TODAY. Because if you listen to BATF, not only could you have your property seized, there is every possibility that you will find yourself facing prosecution and a prison term for federal firearm edict violations. That is, assuming you survive the raid.David Codrea is a co-founder and director for the national pro-rights media campaign, Citizens of America (CitizensOfAmerica.org), and an advisor and contributor for KeepAndBearArms.com. His professional writing is featured often in Guns and Ammo magazine. Additionally, he is the national coordinator for A Petition for the Enforcement of the Second Amendment (KeepAndBearArms.com/Petition). His archives can be accessed here: KeepAndBearArms.com/Codrea. http://www.keepandbeararms.com/information/XcIBViewItem.asp?ID=3237

Comments

• Options
    boeboeboeboe Member Posts: 3,331
    edited November -1
    I think a good answer is, it looked like too much work for me so I sold it at a gunshow.
  • Options
    alledanalledan Member Posts: 19,541
    edited November -1
  • Options
    sandman2234sandman2234 Member Posts: 894 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think passing it off on a gunshow would just make them hate gunshows a little more. How about " I sent it to Sara Brady"? Or "I sent it with a bunch of other junk to the scrap yard" "Tossed it in a car on the back of a junk truck heading for the automobile crusher" "Dropped it a couple miles offshore on my last deepsea fishing trip. Tried to get the co-ordinates from the lorain, but never could figure that thing out."
    Have Gun, will travel