In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ms.Beast

sandman2234sandman2234 Member Posts: 894 ✭✭
edited December 2001 in General Discussion
I have spent the entire morning looking at pages and pages of Hardwood floors, estimates and on the phone calling stores and suppliers of parquet floors. I am tired of it. I have a house some vandals cut a king size waterbed in, which ruined the carpet and the parquet floors. I can understand why those pretty floors would be nice to have, but I would think twice before I actually did all this unless it was absolutely required. And all I have to do is find them and make the decision. I don't even have to worry about paying for the floors. Insurance Company gets that part of it. Think twice before you actually wish for this misery.
Have Gun, will travel

Comments

• Options
    TLynnTLynn Member Posts: 353 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First of all sandman I truly am sorry that your renters did this to you.But in regards to parquet floors - yes there is work involved - but I like how my bedroom turned out, and I did it myself with a little help from a friend.More time consuming than putting down a carpet due to gluing and drying time but a lot easier to clean.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Tlynn, Yes, they are nice. The house I live in has hardwood floors upstairs, and parquet floors downstairs. It is the "later" style of parquet floors, that is the little boards done up in little squares to make bigger squares. The one at the other house was solid boards, one foots square, no boards glued together. They don't make it like that anymore and the insurance company wants to settle for the "cheaper" stuff, since the older and better stuff is more expensive (which is why they don't make it anymore)If I can find somebody that has about 850 square feet of it, they will have to pay the price for it. If I can't find it, they win and I have to settle for several thousand dollars less. Needless to say, I have been chasing every lead. We had the floors refinished just after closing on this house, and have never regretted it. Anybody comes in, the first thing they see are the beautiful floors. Kind of funny, the guy that refinished them was the son of the man who installed them. His dad lived up the street 3 houses and came down and did it as a neighbor/friend. We just picked a name out of the yeller pages and he came out with the best price. I think he did a better job, knowing his Dad (now deceased) was the original installer. In defense of the "renters of the world", the house was empty, since I didn't want any renters distroying it, and some of the neighborhood vandals broke in, disarmed the alarm system, and sprayed painted the house. The worse thing they did was cut a kingsize waterbed, which flooded the house. Not finding it for almost 3 weeks, mold became a problem.(airborn health hazard) Special equipment and protection required. By the time it is over, the insurance company will have probably spent almost fifty thousand dollars. And if they catch the vandals, you can bet their parents will be in court to pay for it. I would love to catch them.
    Have Gun, will travel
  • Options
    218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    What are they allowing you for repainting?Hm..hmm..maybe I should load up the equipment,and visit the sandman!I go through Jacksonville on my way to W.V..218
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Insurance company hired Paul Davis Restoration to do the cleanup. That included removing about 18" of sheetrock allmost on every wall. They replaced the sheetrock and sprayed it at the same time. Only thing left is the floors, and the trim that goes with it. The PDR got a check from the insurance company for about 7 grand, and then another one just b/4 Thanksgiving for 20200. They weren't quite thru with the work, so I made them give me 2000.00 back as a retainer. Kind of "let them have their cake and eat it too" since they got the whole check, and just wrote me one, which never got cashed. They had the work done by monday of the next week. I just haven't gotten the check back to them. I might have to paint the outside, if the buyer won't go for it. Neither he nor I like to paint... I will refer you to him, if he does need a painter. Thanks, Sandman2234
    Have Gun, will travel
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey Beekeep, Your still welcome to come up and visit.Maybe we could take a trip to the FARM and waste a little ammo. Sandman2234
    Have Gun, will travel
  • Options
    the loveable rat...the loveable rat... Member Posts: 969 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    there's always options: in the back of fine homebuilding there's suppliers for "home-cut" flooring from maine i think...priced competitively, although you have to pay for installers, it is of a thickness that you'd like. also, bamboo flooring(which is new, cheap, and lasts forever) is coming on market...obviously, there's costs involved that you might not like and so on, but its nice to know that you can have wood floors not from h. depot....
  • Options
    Ms. BeastMs. Beast Member Posts: 496 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sandman: Sorry to hear about the problems, I would be saying a few choice words to find out who did it!I love the way the floors look, easy to care for and much easier with kids and dogs! When our old black Lab was on his last days, he had a few accidents on the rug (a pat on the head for the old boy!). Never could get mad at him but it did leave some spots that never would come out. Everytime I clean the carpet it reminds me of him but......I hate the spots! I just had to have cream colored carpet with two small kids and dogs.....no go! I found that out after the spills and spots! The kids have grown, somewhat, and the spots remain!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes the Kids have grown, but will always be your Kids. The spots have meanings, but are sometimes not an easy memory to explain to guests. I had a light beige carpet, almost a golden. Bought the best we could afford. The installers came out, cut ours out, then pulled their piece out of the truck. Threw a tape on it, put it back in the truck, said it was short and left. Wife had a party 2 days later. I raised a lot of sand and got the same color in the best carpet they had, because that piece was in town. Insurance company hated that mistake, because now they have to replace that too. It had gained a few personalized spots on it also.
    Have Gun, will travel
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I guess the main thing I have to consider is am I getting all that I should in the claim that they want to pay. Most of the work "had to" be done, but we have some duplicates, like the living/dinning/hallway rooms had parquet floors covered by carpet. Pay me for one, install the other. If not, then put them both back in like it was. Lots of money that doesn't need to be spent. But I am not going to take less than it's worth, just because I will make a bundle by not putting it in. I paid way too much in premiums to let them off that light. I already know that they will cancel the policy once this is completed.They don't insure vacant dwellings, and this one reached that point during this claim, so they won't let it stay insured with them. But I have a buyer for it, if I can get it repaired. It just has to make appraisal value for the selling price.
    Have Gun, will travel