In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Advise and or oppinions???

4000fps4000fps Member Posts: 786 ✭✭
edited September 2001 in General Discussion
Looking to purchase a new rifle. If I said....308...bench rest...daylight only...300yards...bolt action...what would you recommend?Rifle and scope??Thanks...RonI'm not rich....LOL

Comments

• Options
    RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remington 700 VS or VLS
  • Options
    RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remington 700 VS or VLS
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    112 Savage...Leopold Vari-x 111 4.5x14. The Savage is the best value on the market today.Stay away from the Vari-x 11,Leopold.
  • Options
    gunnutgunnut Member Posts: 724 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Winchester Model 70, Leupold Vari X III
  • Options
    will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    Remington PSSLeupold Vari X III Long Range Mine shoots real well!
    You can run, but you'll just die tired!Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, RELOAD!
  • Options
    smokinggunsmokinggun Member Posts: 590 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tikka Whitetail Hunter or Sporter Burris Signature or Leupold VariXIIITikka is made by Sako and is extremely accurate right out of box, bolt smooth as silk. just my opinionsmokinggun
  • Options
    Patrick OdlePatrick Odle Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would say 270 cal with a Burris 3x9 or Leupold Vari x III. THE 308 will not do anything that the 270 won't. Up until 1997 the 270 held the 1000 yd. accuracy record and was beaten then by a 50 cal. browning.when I was growing up the 50 cal. centerfiredid not qualify as a shoulder weapon. Another of the modern day so called improvements.
  • Options
    MPinkstonMPinkston Member Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only 300 yards, whatch need a scope fer.
    aguncollector@prodigy.net
  • Options
    shaneshane Member Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remington 700.
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why is the VariX-II something to avoid?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Friction ring adjusters...won't stand up under hard usage. My eyes ( maybe they are lying ? ) says that the optics arn't much better then scopes costing much less... The comment above about the 270...true...but lets see you stuff that lovely 308 Hirtenberger in the 270....[This message has been edited by Highball (edited 09-03-2001).]
  • Options
    stanmanstanman Member Posts: 3,052
    edited November -1
    Savage, and with the money you save over a Remington or Tika, you can buy a really nice scope of your choice.John Lazzeroni didn't choose Savage for his new line of short magnums because they're so pretty, it's because they shoot and a working man can afford to own one. It's just that simple!
  • Options
    smokinggunsmokinggun Member Posts: 590 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tikkas aren't all that exspensive (around $400 for synthetic/blue) and I've heard that Savage rifles fall apart.smokinggun
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The VariX-II will be mounted on my Winchester .270. It's a hunting gun which means that I'll break it in on the range, zero the scope and put it up until I go hunting. I don't see it taking excessive abuse. Think it'll hold up? If it conks out on me, I can send it in to Leupold. If it needs replacing, Leupold will have to send me something comparable from the VariX-III line since the VariX-II is discontinued.[This message has been edited by idsman75 (edited 09-03-2001).]
  • Options
    5db5db Member Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I must say I'm a Remington/Leupold fan. However, not knowing your price range, I don't know what to recommend. Do you have a price cap?
    If you have one shot...Accu-Shot Website
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The first post mentioned ' benchrest'..this implies shooting from 100 to at least 300 yards.This means frequent zero changes. Setting a scope 2.5 inches high at 100,and leaving it there for the next ? years means naturally that that part of the scope will not experience the wear. I am not knocking the lower end scopes...its just that I have a drawer full of 'em....As I get the money,I replace them,with Vari X III's. Had I bought Vari x II'S ,I most likely would use them.
  • Options
    stanmanstanman Member Posts: 3,052
    edited November -1
    Guns and AmmoJuly issueCover story"Savage wins the accuracy title"I rest my case!
  • Options
    edharoldedharold Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does Savage advertise in Guns & Ammo?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey 4000fps, Thank you! Mailing out tonight so look for delivery by Friday.
    If you have one shot...Accu-Shot Website
  • Options
    metzmetz Member Posts: 121 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know you said bolt action, it's just there is no finer .308 than the m14/m1a. I like the Leupolds, too. I suggest getting semi. Food for thought.Andy
  • Options
    edited November -1
    FN-Fal will eat the m-14 for breakfast......
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Wow, alot of food for thought here and thanks.stanman/I read that article about the Savage,that is why I threw this question out there. I was hell bent on a Remington till I read that.5db/ THANK YOU..and no I guess there is no cap on pricemetz/ Already have toooooo many SAR's and looking for one really good bolt actionHighball/ I got a bunch of those low end scopes also, Its time to treat myself to something a bit better.Sure looks like the Leupold Vari X III is well liked. I think I am leaning toward the Remington VLS or PSS. Thanks for all the info and if anyone else has something to add, please do.Ron
  • Options
    WIN-COLTWIN-COLT Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    4000FPSI am surprised that there were but 1 mention of a winchester model 70. I have another for your consideration how about the pinnacle of quality (in some peoples eye's)the rifle thats guaranteed to pattern 3 shots within 1" at 100yards a WEATHERBY MK-5!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Win-Colt..Got a Winchester 70-30.06 wouldn't give it up for nothing.Yea that WEATHERBY is another one I've been looking at. Glad to see ya here. Selling everything I own except rifles and a few choice handguns.Looking to relocate.[This message has been edited by 4000fps (edited 09-05-2001).][This message has been edited by 4000fps (edited 09-06-2001).]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Love the .308, but having several, I'd wait for Remington to come out with their 700 PSS in the .300 SAM. Then I'd mount a Leupold Vari-X III, Long Range in the 6.5 x 20 on it. Savage is doing something right, lots of folks liking them. I've heard the trigger is the weak point, however, several aftermarket triggers are available. What strikes me is how loose the bolt is, almost like one would find on a 3rd world Battle field rifle from years past. Able to function with handful of muddy-sand jammed into it type of loose. But it works.
    If you have one shot...Accu-Shot Website[This message has been edited by 5db (edited 09-05-2001).]
  • Options
    Dancing BearDancing Bear Member Posts: 45
    edited November -1
    If there is no price cap, and you are serious about benchrest shooting get youself a copy of Precision Shooting, or go to http://www.benchrest.com and find youself a real benchrest rifle and then find a nice Unertyl.DB
    The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs.