In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Motor Cycle Guy's??

NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Can someone tell me if the new BMW Bikes are shaft driven?And is their an advantage of the shaft drive over the chain driven?And has h
Harley ever made a shaft driven Bike?

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"

Comments

• hawkeye6020hawkeye6020 Member Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    don't know about the BMW. shaft drives are smother than chains and don't require as much maintenance. Harley has never made a production bike with a shaft drive.

"Life is not a journey to the grave wtih the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body,

But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming

-WOW- WHAT A RIDE!!!!!"
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    C&P..from this site.

http://jeffdean2.home.att.net/h-d.htm

quote:Harley copied the BMW, simply converting metric measurements to inches, and produced the shaft-drive 750cc 1942 Harley-Davidson XA. Even though about 1,000 were made, the motorcycle never saw service.

cute_skunk.gif

Lil' Stinker's Opinion
  • The firearms consultantThe firearms consultant Member Posts: 716 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To the best of my knowledge, BMW has never made a bike "without" a shaft drive. John

I might not always tell you the truth, but I will never lie to you!
  • sheepdipsheepdip Member Posts: 3,124
    edited November -1
    Don't know about the BMW but I would say NO WAY !!
    Harley made a shaft drive in 1942 or 43. THE
    XA 750 was a copy of the BMW with a longer front end and a plunger rear end. XA head was later used on the K bikes. they only made about 1,000 but we were out of Africa by then so they were dumped on the US market.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,509 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As mentioned above, all BMWs I know of are shaft drive.
    There is a big advantage of shaft drive over chain drive. You have near zero maintenance with a shaft. If you ever had a chain drive, you know you are always adjusting the chain tension, you have to lube it and then the damn lube sprays on your leg.
    On the downside, the shaft drive causes the bike to torque to one side when you goose the motor. I must drive like a wimp, 'cause that never bothered me when I had my BMW.
    Actually that belt drive, that my 1988 Harley had, was supposed to be best of all. The belt needed very little maintenance. It was supposed to give a truer, straighter drive and not torque the bike to one side.
  • The firearms consultantThe firearms consultant Member Posts: 716 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I owned a 1976 Kawasaki 900 until I traded it in on a 1979 Kawasaki 1000 Shaftdrive. In all honesty I could not tell the shaft drive from the chaindrive 900 except that I never had to adjust the shaft. Would never buy another road bike without a shaft. John

I might not always tell you the truth, but I will never lie to you!
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I dont know much about the road bikes I was just thinking about how It appeared to me that a shaft drive would handle more torque and run smoother and last much longer than a chain drive(I could surely be wrong).I thought about broken chains,stripped cogs constant chain adjustment then trying to find a chain while on the road.But everyone boast the Harley so it cant be to bad.I know a Retired Deputy that has a Laverda(SP)I think its an Italion Bike?Its ok for a short trip around the block but it vibrates horribly.Dont know if there all that way or if something isnt right with his?Thanks for the info Ive really been wanting a Bike,my heart has been with the Harley,but my wallet is more like a Honda![B)]

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Harley Davidson has a very good Financing program. PAY AS YOU RIDE>>

10 percent down, payments as long as you want to make em.

eagle.gif
    "It is hard to soar with Eagles when your surrounded by Turkeys"

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows.
    Hudson.gif
    900.gif
  • nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
    BMW's on-off road offering made in Italy is chain drive to the best of my knowlege. All the rest are shaft drives.

Other than maintenance there's one big difference between drive systems...

Shaft drive will tend to climb the ring gear under power and do the opposite as power is rolled off. Chain drive sinks the rear under power and raises it when power ir rolled off.

Nord