In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Haunted Computer?

buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
My computer has taken a mind of it's own and starts and boots up on with no help from anyone.In the middle of the night or day, it just starts when it wants to.Any idea's on how to cure it?I am just before seeing what a hot loaded .270 will do to a e-machines.Thanks

Comments

• powdersmokepowdersmoke Member Posts: 3,241
    edited November -1
    Try hooking it to a UPS that you can turn off .

fa4d9fb5.jpg

When you wrestle a 'gator, there ain't no good end!!

"Molon Labe!" Spartan General-King Leonidas
  • hawkeye6020hawkeye6020 Member Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    e-machine you say? had one with the same problem with one. it is the power switch. kinda spookie the first time it happens in the middle of the night, huh

"It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others"
  • TotalControl103TotalControl103 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you leave it ideling all the time or is it off and starts up all by it self?
    If you have it on 'Stand By' and it starts up it could be 'wake on LAN' to take in comeing calls or vibrations or movement on the mouse.
    IF it is off, and starts by itself...
    The start button is just two wires that are connected to the mother board front end header, like a door bell button a momentary closeing will kick it on and vise versa, Could be a worn push button or loose conacts so close that they 'make' with the shockwaves from shooting the .270. OR if the rig is old and in a plastic case (not shielded) perhaps some high powered HAM/CB radio signal is kicking it.
  • daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
    edited November -1
    I haven't turned off my computer in 6 years,except to clean it or re-boot. Lasts longer that way.(I think). Don't even put it to sleep.
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is a lot of options that could be causing this from a faulty power supply, to WOL (wake on lan) or WOR (wake on ring) settings in the BIOS.
    As Powdersmoke mentioned, flipping a switch on a power strip or UPS would be a simple fix for it though.

The 10mm - either you've got it, or you don't get it...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
    Alright then ...

First question is if a AT or ATX power supply. If the former, then you have ghosts... Or a bad switch.

Second question has pretty much been covered, but I need to know if the machine was in sleep mode or really off.

Sleep mode means that some of the basic features of your system are really always on. They could be waiting for anything from a keystroke or mouse movement, to a phone call, to a LAN instruction, or to a scheduled task.

If the machine is really off, then it comes back to a bad switch, a faulty component on the motherboard, or a problem within the power supply itself. Unless you have a P/S handy, I don't see much of a way to track the problem down, though you can unhook the on/off switch at the motherboard.

Pretty much a common problem that we tend to laugh at, but I'd make very sure you're LAN or modem was unplugged as some of the malware out there might just be causing a problem.

Go to "Trend Housecall" on your browser and allow it to scan your system. It'l take some time (quite a bit of tome on dial-up), but you'll know the machine is clean before you start to chase the problem elsewhere.

Nord