In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

afghan update

slidder12slidder12 Member Posts: 358 ✭✭✭
edited October 2001 in General Discussion
this should be over faster than you think..they ain't seen nothing yet......ever been to a turkey shoot???enjoying the chats when i can still the same ol fussin going on lolol..nothing has changed much on gb...got some gifts for the diaperheads on my bird in the 500#range..says "greetings from gun broker" is that copyright infringment?? hmmmm well almost time to light the fires,gonna chun up some afghan countryside....

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    warm and pleasent greetings to all back home in the good ol usa...well things are progressing here at a rapid rate..first let me say we have suffered no loses to the taliban...a few mishaps in the course of operations but nothing more,and as painful as those were they where not in vain..focus is now on the front line of the taliban where i am not really sure they expected that the destruction would be on such a grand scale..the amount of ordinance being dished out boggles my mind and i can't see how this can last to much longer..there is not much left of anything and no place to hid either..hopefully within the next few weeks if it even goes that far,most of this will be over,but we will stay as long as it takes and go wherever the bad guys run to to stamp out this crap..we may fuss amongst ourselves but no one comes into OUR house and picks on us.....from the deck of the BIG E have a safe night..
  • Options
    edited November -1
    well my unit has been given a few days off,now that the teddy is on station..butt is sore after the last 70 or so runs..just gonna relax on the fan tonight and enjoy the cool breeze...flew my last sortie today,amazing how easy the turrets on a T-72 come off,there is a very large scrap yard out there right now and it grows bigger by the day..wonder where they keep all this stuff...wish they would just toss in the towel..cool wind tonight can almost feel winter around the corner,guess santa will have to miss this part of the world this year he may just get shot down...maybe we should ups him an IFF unit..that would really suck if santa got dropped by mistakewe have been working over the front lines real good the last 4 days,don't think these guys ever seen a MK84...mostly MK15 snakesand a mix of CBU's and 82's(500#)are the happy meals we are dropping off..gonna try to find a new toy when i get back so if anyone knows of a good deal on a feather 9mmpass it on to me...well from the deck of enterprise and your friends of VMFA-122have a wonderful evening........
  • Options
    edited November -1
    hello to all..been awhile....but the office work has been rather heavy..good to have a day to just relax check emails and stare at the sky at night..not alot to say about current events..i am sure you all know more back home than we do here unless we check news online..but things have been busy and alot has happened in the last three or so days..i am also sure more good things will occur in the next few days...bad guys are in a world of hurt so what else is there to saya bit of good news is we are coming home in about 10 or so days as soon as we are relieved by the stinnis which is on the way now..it has been a long and grinding affair and i for one am glad it will soon be over for us...if any of our members live in the bremerton,washington area feel free to stop by when we dock.will post the date when i know for sure...and for my uneducated friend in the uk...who seems to know everything,i would like to extend my personal invitation to stop buy...i am not hard to find..just ask for slidder,marine air group 11,vmfa-251(thunderbolts)carrier air wing 1..i can promise you a "bloody good time"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    doin fine guys,not much to say, seems cnn has more info than me,,things are slowing down though..lots happening and really at a faster pace,hard to tell the bad guys from the good so many missions are scrubbed..did not return on enterprise,transferred to carl vinson prior to departure to complete tour and bolster AW(all weather)capabilities,but stinnis battle group will relieve us shortly and we will return to home port in bremerton washington..missed the garth brooks show but we did get to see it on armed forces television.....hope everyone has a safe and happy thanksgiving and use your seat belts..
  • Options
    edited November -1
    just a quick hello to all,has been awhile but we have been very busy and outgoing emails have been cut down to a min...not much to update,not much left...bad guys are almost finished...we will be home for christmas..stinnis battle group will be here within a week..has been a long and trying affair and i for one am glad as well as my shipmates are glad it will soon be over for us,least till we find out where we will go next,the next week or so will be spent pounding the tora bora area and the forests of spin ghar,seems the last pockets of bad guys are holed up there and we have been hammering the areas night and day for the last 10 or so days...not going to go into details on things here there is more up to date info on cnn and other news website that i can possibly add to..we have had a few mishaps and i am sorry it has happened but when you take in content the enormous amount of ordinance going into the area it is less than .5% that has caused problems..we have lost no fixed wing aircraft since the war started,not even from mech failures and just a few helo's and none to ground fire,would like to tie the american traitors to the wingtips and drop them from a very high altitude into the tora bora area,but that is just my feelings....hopefully the trial will be fast and the execution will be slow and painful...well time is limited so i will say to all have a wonderful new year and a very merry christmas...and GOD BLESS AMERICA.i wish you all a pleasent good evening
  • Options
    edited November -1
    well so much for the rest,that was a fast few days,,anyway i was getting figgity..not alot to talk about today..there has been alot of strikes yesterday and today..tomorrow has many more planned...enterprise will leave station at the end of the month to be relieved by the roosevelt..she is long due to return to norfolk after an extended cruise..we have been on ship only a little over 3 weeks so we will more than likely transfer to the vincent or teddy depending on the powers to be..then i can keep the updates going..one piece of news i did pick up was some sattellite incomeing trans where picked up in a large mountain area which was quicklysaturated with bunker busters causeing secondary detonations and a collapse of a large section of the hillside...hmmmmmmmasswipe ben laden was said to have had 30 or 40 truckloads of this type equiptment...could it be maybe just maybe ???????lets hope..whats this smoking jacket club???? how do you get in...??? and i still am looking for a feather 9mm so if you know of any good deals sure would like to hear.....well gonna go for now got a big day tommorrow and don't want to oversleep.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    well guys it has been another bust day at the office..in fact this has been the biggest day since this all started..i'll say one thing for these guys,they are stubborn,it may take longer than i thought..still no sign of benny,there are still smoke and detonations going off in the hillside from the other day so whatever it was it was pretty big,also read a few reports that ol benny and his sidekick omar are already dead,have been since somewhere around 16septshot by the taliban,don't know if it is true if it is why they not saying it is???guess we will know in time..also glad the rumors floating around about the chinese trucking inchinese muslim troops was just that a false rumor,but i would not be surprised if there are some here anyway..there are alot of pakistani muslims slipping over the boarder to help out the bad guys..not sure how many have already came but it is said to be several thousand..could complicate things if alot of them do come,will have to deal with that when the time comes..stingers have not been a problem yet but we are out of there range plus i don't think the seeker heads are working properly anyway after all these yrs but never can tell if they are used against helo's..getting nippy here when the sun starts to go down i hear the winters are brutal,only good thing about that i guess will be how much easier it will be to see heat signatures..can pop the bad guys much better that way..thank goodness for email only way to write home now seeing as we can no longer receive mail or packages..least we can still write home..still not sure if we will rotate home at the end of the month with enterprise,like to finish this thing but also have some personal stuff back home,lost a daughter in trade center at cantor fitzgerald on 105th floor..was a step daughter but she was mine since she was 6, her husband worked in other tower but he is fine some consolation,least their two kids will have one parent,,hurts to think how many kids have lost both...still hard to comprehend all that has happened,,sorry venting i guess..kinda funny how many peoplehere have been touched by or know someone who has been by the events of sept11..we have muslim americans onboard who are suffering right along with the rest of us and want to rid ourselves of this group of inhumans and send them to paradise..anyway gonna grab some chow and hit the rack for a few winks...good to see the flags flying and how united the folks are back home..have a safe and pleasent evening
  • Options
    edited November -1
    hello again,sorry have not posted but have been kindadistracted the last few days...can't reallysay things are heating up just as active as ever...arc lights are really taking a toll on the diaper heads,glad i am not at ground level during that...if the taliban thought for one min we were going to let up the air war for rammadon they are sorely mistaken,if anything they will increase..they are not really that bright in the head,damn if they just sit there as the bombs fall,guess you get brownie points in paradise for being plain stupid..still no loses on our side which is fine by me...enterprise will be leaving station in the next few days and we are standing down..guess we not too smart either,we will transfer to another ship rather than come home..which was an option for our unit,we have not been on the deployment that long, there is so much wreckage in the front lines it boggles the mind,took out more fuel and ammo dumps along with a main power station today...gonna be dinner by candlelite in khandahar tonight,hope things are settling down a little back home,,,with all the crap in the mail these days.....hope shooter is doing somewhat better....wish there was something else to say,but we do hope for a full recovery tomorrow looks to be full booked for fun and games on the front,can't really say where but i can promise you it will be "intresting"well got to go...keep an eye on the news in the next few days,,may be in for a surprise,have a wonderful weekend if i don't get back to you by then....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    well it has been about a week since my last post..for the last several days we have really been busy..plus outgoing emails are to a min due to security reasons but we do get a few out.as i told you before to watch the news for "intresting" things and although it took a few more days than expected something"intresting" has happenedmazar-e-sharif has fallen to the alliance after 10 days of the most intense air attacks of the campaign..for most of us here including myself 12 hr days are the norm which sounds like alot but that is only 2 runs aday considering it is a 3hr flight to and from the target area in that part of afghan.but still allows us to put around 15 tons of hardware on target per plane per run so that times the 40 or so birds from the roosevelt in addition to the 40 or so from the vinson adds up to around 1200 tons dropped.then with b-52's dumping 105 500 pounders in flights of three it really adds up..not sure of the B-1 or B-2's but they are also doing a good bit plus the brits have been pretty active to..not a wonder the taliban have abandoned the city..this will open land bases for the campaign...next on the agenda is Kabul..but right now the mopping up of taliban forces(turkey shoot)retreating from sharif is in full swing,,not going to be much left to get to Kabul at this rate losses are very very heavy even from the air the destruction to ground forces makes me winch..but the sleeping giant has been awakened and the country should be proud of the resolve their fighting forces have in this campaign,,many young men and women are extending their tour over here even when they have the ability to come home,the determination to stamp out this evil is something to see...makes me proud to be an american....how is shooter??have not seen any post on his recovery...we hope he is doin better..also still no word on my step daughter who was lost in the world trade center,,but will pass on any info as it comes in..i will post when i can don't think there will be alot of free time for awhile...hope all is going back home and everyone is getting on with life....it will get better beleive me...this will not happen again if we have anything to say about it.. from somewhere in the indian ocean on a ship i can't name...have a warm and pleasent weekend
  • Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Slidder12, thanks to you and fellow shipmates for all you're doing to protect our freedoms. FYI, a few peace protestors (Richard Gere & Hilliary) have made some feeble attempts to denounce what your doing, they have been soundly booed and embarrassed publicly. You can't imagine the support you have at home. We are all proud of you guys. Send one of those special delivery ordinance packages with my name on it....
  • Options
    royc38royc38 Member Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rem is right. Richard Gere won't be able to make a movie for at least a couple of years and Hillary is probably looking into selling her New York house right now. Take care , be careful and keep your trigger finger in shape. God bless all of you and we will see you when you get back.
  • Options
    .250Savage.250Savage Member Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Slidder12, good to hear you are still all right. Heard two of our boys got it in that chopper crash, glad it wasn't you... Supposed to be all Special Ops in there now, hope you get/got a chance. Good luck, God bless, we are all behind you.
    I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.--Voltare~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Options
    badboybobbadboybob Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    God bless Slidder, and stay safe.
    So many guns to buy. So little money.
  • Options
    nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
    From the unfortunate land of Hillary...Thank You!