In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1911 type accuracy comparisons

TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
edited November 2003 in General Discussion
I didn't want to hijack anyones thread, but bigbee posted asking for accuracy opinions on two specific 1911 type pistols and it got me to wondering. Which 1911 type pistols give you the best 25 yd. groups for the money? Let's hear what you're getting from your Colt, S&W, Les Baer, Wilson, Springfield, Para Ordnance, Kimber, etc.

I'm not referring to your one-time smallest group, but what size your pistol can maintain.

Let's be honest here.

Comments

• Options
    woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a pre A-1 1911 Comercial version that will put them into 3" or less at 25yds if I do my part. That's with a handload that duplicates factory loads. 5.2gr W231 with a Hornady 230gr fmj in a winchester case and a CCI lg pistol primer.

Woods
  • Options
    sunasuna Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am holding a Wilson KZ45 1" grouping hard to beat that. All of them are great.
  • Options
    shooter4shooter4 Member Posts: 4,457
    edited November -1
    There are not many 1911's that can hold sub 1" groups at 25yds.

The Les Baer or Wilson target guns can, but they cost big.

The other way is get a new in box, Springfield or better 1911, send it to a qualified Bullseys gunsmith (there are probably only 20 or so in the country), and have him do a trigger job and accurize the gun.

It will then hold sub 2" groups at 50yds, which means sub 1" groups at 25yds, or one ragged hole.

The Kimbers cannot do that out of the box. Only the Baer's.

Since you are talking accuracy, I've been around and competed in Bullseye for a bunch of years. I've seen a ton of Championship guns, know State and whatever Champions, know their equipment and I'm passing it on.
  • Options
    mpolansmpolans Member Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Les Baer Ultimate Match tricked out for IPSC 1911 will due two inches at 50 yards. That's probably better than me right now.
  • Options
    shooter4shooter4 Member Posts: 4,457
    edited November -1
    Yup, Les Baer makes a real good gun if you get one of their good ones.

[:D]
  • Options
    beachmaster73beachmaster73 Member Posts: 3,011 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Caspian bullseye service pistol hand built by "Billy Jack" Lashlee, the Master Pistol Armorer of the Navy, it will easily do 2 inches at 50 yards although I can't. I tend to agree with shooter4's comment about the Kimbers they are good but not as good as their owners tend to make them. I also agree that the Baer's are top of the line in most anybody's book. While I'll probably catch some flack on this one I think that the old Colt Series 70 Gold Cup National Match pistols were tremendous out of the box even if they didn't really like a steady diet of 230 grain ball ammo. Beach
  • Options
    sunasuna Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    All guns listed are 1000 dollar guns if you want accurate guns without alot of work that is about where they start. I own XD and to kimber and the wilson is the truest out of the box 1" grouping that I have seen without work on it. They are all great and all will be based on the shooter.
  • Options
    BufflerBuffler Member Posts: 821 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Checkout a Smith&Wesson 945,out of the box,they Rock!!
    These are Custom Shop. BE SAFE!! Buffler