In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

The dreaded Jennings .22!

ADfreeADfree Member Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
edited February 2002 in General Discussion
I was just watching "America's most wanted" and they were making a big deal of how those felons that broke out in TX had stolen a pistol and were SOOOO dangerous... They showed a picture of the gun; a Jennings J-22. I couldn't stop laughing for like 3 minutes. It was pry more dangerous to the felon than to anyone else!

Comments

• interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    Albeit the J-22 is a cast alloy, bound to fail eventually pistol. However the .22 long rifle cartridge kills more people every year than any other pistol caliber.
  • niklasalniklasal Member Posts: 776 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How long before the frame on the J-22 wears out? I have one for cheap plinking. It never feeds so I load it 1 round at a time.
    NIKLASAL@hotmail.com
  • boeboeboeboe Member Posts: 3,331
    edited November -1
    Don't let that get out about the .22 LR, the anti-gun forces will go nuts trying to ban it.Seriously, I've heard Wayne LaPierre has made that comment (about the .22) and wonder how many people would have had to survive gunshot wounds from a .22 in order for it to attain that mortality rate.
  • ADfreeADfree Member Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    inter... I have no doubts that the .22lr is dangerous, but see the guy's post above this. THe way they were describing it was some sorta big massacre was inevitable, as if he had stolen a .50 MG or a tank or a F-117 lol. The J22 is more likely to seriously injure him than a LEO, it isnt accurate, doesnt' feed, and sure wouldn't penetrate armor. He was a threat, but he would've been better off with a knife!
  • Walt NunleyWalt Nunley Member Posts: 228 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I THOUGHT IT WAS THE .380 ROUND CAUSE ALL THE HOMIES IN THE GANGS COULNDNT AFFORD ANYTHING ELSE?
  • gregousgreggregousgreg Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Jennings 22 for about 10 years now, and it works, but make sure you oil up the firing pin, or it will slam fire, for $69, I got my fun from it at the range...
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    inter--I had almost forgotten that little bit of info. I was doing some research in college and ran across a statistic that stated more .22 LR projectiles are pulled from corpses than any other caliber. Amazing. They probably assumed that it was one of those Jennings .22 assault pistols with bayonet lug fixed to the end of it.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I have one and it never misfeeds using Thunderbolt ammo, never slam fires, is fairly accurate considering its size and price, and all in all is a great gun. I must have gotten the one in a thousand, huh?
    "...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conference in 1899.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,447 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stands to reason Jonk, you are one in a thousand.
  • PelicanPelican Member Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actually Jonk you are probably the norm. I be done probably sold over a thousand of them J22's in my 30 years as a dealer and had maybe 2 or 3 dozen that was true duds. Like even some more expensive guns you gots to keep 'em clean and use good ammo. I always recommended CCI Stingers.
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Reminds me of something I saw on MATT LAUR a few years ago. It was after a school shooting, and the guest was the person(kid) who disarmed the nut case. Kid explained what happend, and Lauer praised him for his heroic actions. Lauer then went onto gun control, asked the kid what he thought about the fact that kids can get their hands on guns. The Hero said something to the effect that it is not the gun, but the person with the gun. Kid was the best spokeperson for gun rights I had ever seen. Lauer was furious, and you could see steam coming from his ears. Said something to the efeect, "You think it is OK, that a child can get his hands on a 22 caliber, semiautomatic rifle(the way he said it, you would think he was describing a 50 caliber)?"The kid answered "Well I have one of those same guns, and so do a lot of kids around here, and none of them would ever use it for a violent purpose."Lauer was furious, and went to commercial. He thought he had someone there to spew antigun nonsense.
    Happiness is a warm gun
  • whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    jonk:You're not alone. I carry a pistol when I'm gold panning. Don't know why, I just do. I wouldn't want to drop a Beretta in the crick so the Jennings goes along. I shoot them hopped up Remington shells with the truncated cone bullet. Mine don't jam.Clouder..
  • RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Jennings J22 that I bought new for $58.00 It is nickle plated and has never jammed. I also have a little 25 caliber stainless Bauer that never jams. Have carried the Bauer for years in the summer in my pocket.
  • thesupermonkeythesupermonkey Member Posts: 3,905 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    YOU GUYS MAKE ME SICK!After all the ragging I've had to take for owning my lil Jennings 22 & Raven 25 and the truth finally comes out!
  • PelicanPelican Member Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey Supermonk, tell 'bout a Raven. Know a dude that actually reloads 25s. He's kinda a strange type. He has a Raven that has 0 finish and the grips are taped on. He's shot the damn thing so much the slide works up and down on the frame rails. It never jams. Totally amazes me. Because he has loaded for it for years he shoots a lot. He can keep a magazine full on a gallon milk jug at 50 feet. Dangest thing I ever done saw.
  • thesupermonkeythesupermonkey Member Posts: 3,905 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    "The reason that more peaople are killed and wounded with .22s than any other caliber is because more people are shot with it."Ya' know, I figured that, but then you got me thinking it might be those tiny brass casings burning people!Just pokin'
    Don't worry about the bullet with your name on it, worry about the fragmentation grenade addressed 'To Occupant'.