In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

overatted calibers...

jdb123jdb123 Member Posts: 471 ✭✭✭
edited April 2002 in General Discussion
what in your opinion is the most overatted caliber, in my opinion it is hands down the .38special whats yours?

Comments

• Options
    daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
    edited November -1
  • Options
    instrumentofwarinstrumentofwar Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 223 and 30-06 stir,stir,stir,stir
    Some people just shouldn't be allowed to breed
  • Options
    RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't think the 38special is over rated as much as it has been so very popular over the Decades as a proven round. So many guns were made in that caliber in the 20's, 30's, 40's 50's,60's and the 70's. Which leaves a lot around now to be had at any Gun Store, Show or Auction.
    Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • Options
    twinstwins Member Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to agree on the 40, ifn ya really wanna stir....the 45.
  • Options
    simonbssimonbs Member Posts: 994
    edited November -1
    Twins,Blasphemy...Thou shant criticize the .45 .I think the .218 BEE is highly overrated !!!
  • Options
    PiadeaPiadea Member Posts: 146 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Com'on guys everyone knows it's the 9MM. I have a BB gun that hits harder.
  • Options
    Miss. CreantMiss. Creant Member Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    7mm MAGI am stirring with a paddle
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    9mm and any "short magnum."
  • Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The .38 was never overrated though it has at times been underpowered. The 9mm, on the other hand, seemed for a while to rise above its station in life. Now it has dropped back to a more realistic assessment. The .40, having had a lot to prove, has had an uphill battle and has finally earned whatever reputation it may have, which I would not call being overrated. So I choose the 9mm as most overrated, for a while. And the .223 -- by the military. (Stir, stir)
    "The 2nd Amendment is about security, not hunting. Long live the gun shows, and reasonable access to FFLs. Join the NRA -- I'm a Life Member."
  • Options
    edited November -1
    instrumentofwar --Say... You'd better duck.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    .38 Special. Looking at a Hodgson factory ballistics table comparing it to the .38 S&W, the older, supposedly weaker cartridge has higher muzzle velocity, more energy, and equal performance at close range. Only at distance does it start to fall off.
    "...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conference in 1899.
  • Options
    jastrjastr Member Posts: 463 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think most of the rounds out there were developed for a specific purpose. Most of the handgun rounds available today are all relativly spread out in that since, some are smaller and a little less powerfull, and serve there purpose well. These rounds .38 special, 9mm, .40 , were all developed to prevent sufficient stopping power without mutilation/ over penetration. The other rounds... High power loads such as .357 sig, .357 mag , 10mm, .45, 44mag, and so forth seem too work well when over penetration doesnt matter. terrorist situations, military acts, hunting, and whatever other practical purpouse they might serve. As far as rifles go, I believe that the .223 is very over rated.. The 22-250, and the 25-06 are much more effective, and in my opinion superior rounds.
    lets all be responsible! shoot a criminal!
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1)45 ACP fmj.2) 9mm fmj
  • Options
    varmit huntervarmit hunter Member Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some calibers are inherently overrated.
    A unarmed man is a subject.A armed man is a citizen.[This message has been edited by varmit hunter (edited 04-09-2002).]
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shooting an overrated caliber is like dating a big fat ugly woman or riding a moped, it's fun as hell but you don't want any of your friends to see you doing it.
  • Options
    niklasalniklasal Member Posts: 776 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 40 S&W? Actually I think that round is the best. It offers more stopping power than the 9mm, while offering a higher capacity than the 45.I think the .380 is a waste. It has less power than the 9mm, and no benefits on capacity
    NIKLASAL@hotmail.com[This message has been edited by niklasal (edited 04-09-2002).]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    James Bond would be ashamed of you for saying that -- actually, when M made him give up the Beretta .25 in favor of the PPK, he tried to sneak the Beretta out of the office with him anyway, if you'll recall. He must've been executing the majority of his villains with point blank head shots....380 and .32 used to be the standard European police calibers as the .38 revolver used to be the favorite here. How spoiled we've become, that they just won't do anymore... I believe military calibers are prohibited for civilians in some European countries, meaning they might be able to own a .380 but not a 9mm, or something like that. Then of course we have the +p+ reserved for law enforcement over here (and Peter Pi somehow managing to make commercial CorBon anyway ... mysteriouser and mysteriouser...)
    "The 2nd Amendment is about security, not hunting. Long live the gun shows, and reasonable access to FFLs. Join the NRA -- I'm a Life Member."
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Forgot about that offeror.

Hard to believe that such a super spy has such an inferior round... :P

NIKLASAL@hotmail.com
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    .357 SIG.

Save, research, then buy the best.Join the NRA, NOW!Teach them young, teach them safe, teach them forever, but most of all, teach them to VOTE!
  • Options
    jastrjastr Member Posts: 463 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess we are all entitled too our own opinions

lets all be responsible! shoot a criminal!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That's true jastr.

Now, if only someone would give advice on justifying a new gun to the missus.... Especially if I already have one of the same caliber.

NIKLASAL@hotmail.com
  • Options
    S&W ManS&W Man Member Posts: 208 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    9mm handsdown the most overated caliber in existance.

Jonk - The 38 S&W is quite a capable caliber. close range it WILL outpreform the 38 special. The Brits deemed it as capable as the 455 when loaded with the 200gn bullet. that is why they replaced their 455 Webleys with it. Also brought about the S&W 38/300 British Service Revolver (same as a Victory version of the M&P in 38 S&W)

The second admendment GUARANTEES the other nine and the Constitution!
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,635 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am ready to take some heat with this next statement. The most overated Handgun round is the .45 ACP 230 FMJ. Don't get me wrong, I love my 1911's and would not trade them for anything else.

I have heard too many shooters over the years spouting off how Hardball in a .45 will put a man down with one shot everytime. This is not reality and does not jive with the different studies completed in the last 20 + years. JMHO....Stir, Stir, Stir
  • Options
    wipalawipala Member Posts: 11,068
    edited November -1
    9mm, 357 mag, 223, and the 270