In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Teaching young people to shoot is fun!!!

beachmaster73beachmaster73 Member Posts: 3,011 ✭✭
edited February 2002 in General Discussion
Had to share this with all of you. This Monday from 1000-1500 I'm giving a high power rifle clinic for high school kids from three different high schools in the local area. I'm going to have upswards of 18 kids blasting away with M1's, AR-15's and M1A's. Then on 24 February we are going to conduct a CMP sanctioned high power match just for them. The reason I mention this is if you are in a position to help teach young people in your area to learn to shoot you should make a point of doing it. The kids really really really appreciate it and you'll have a ball while you are doing it.I bought the AR-15's for the smaller shooters but one of my smallest shooters insists that he will only shoot an M1 since it is the only "real man's" gun out there(I know you'll love that one Shootist.30-06!!)In any case I think we have an obligation to pass on to the younger generation the shooting skills for which we Americans are respected as well as passing on strong belief in the sanctity of the Second Amendment. Wish all of you could be out there with me because we are going to have a ball! There is nothing in the world like seeing the face of a kid who has just scored his first "X". All the best to all of you..now you know what I'm doing on Monday! Is this a great country or what? Beach

Comments

• bhayes420bhayes420 Member Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey Beach! Sounds like you are going to have fun on Monday! And you are absolutely positively right. NOTHING beats teaching a kid to shoot. I had almost quit hunting and my gun collection had just sat in my safe for almost 5 years. Then last fall my son got interested in hunting and shooting, so out they came. We have had an absolute ball together! Teach 'em well and be safe Beach!
  • Mr. LoboMr. Lobo Member Posts: 538 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Same here...My 3 sons are all of age now and we go to the range almost every weekend. It is great to pass on the safety measures and then the good part teaching them how to hit the bull. Or is that shoot the bull...both go on at our range.
  • XracerXracer Member Posts: 1,990
    edited November -1
    Nice goin' Beech! My hat's off to ya.Love to see the look on that kid's face when he gets his first "M1 Thumb"!
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Beach, I salute you! And I would add, working with kids in any capacity - Scouting, Hunter Safety, coaching, mentoring, whatever - has been without doubt the most satisfying and rewarding time of my life. That the activity is shooting is putting the final sprinkles on the icing on the cake.
  • whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I second or third or whatever, that.Too bad you don't live out here in the wilds where a five minute ride or a thirty minute walk has you in a place where they can bang away. Teaching my grandkids now, one boy and one young lady. Keep at it, beach, they're our hope.Clouder..
  • SXSMANSXSMAN Member Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What everyone else said and thanks.
  • j2k22j2k22 Member Posts: 329 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    been teaching Boy Scouts for the past ten years or so. It is a privilege and a pleasure to be able to share our way of life with these eager youngsters. Good work!
  • ADfreeADfree Member Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The boy scouts need to be better educated on safe handling and the importance of our 2nd Ammendment rights(not a jab at anyone who does; just in general). My friend who is approaching becoming an eagle scout was horrified that I would want a semi-auto rifle, he was spouting typical leftist "you don't need that," "Those are dangerous," type BS.Of course when I showed him he changed his mind lol. But the disturbing part was that he was ignorant of the proper ways to handle a firearm. I checked to see it was unloaded, handed it to him, and was shocked when he pointed it at my other friend. I s'pose he pry just has a liberal for a unit leader who didn't know how to be safe. I look forward to when I know enough to teach others! (several thousand dollars away though
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ADfree, sounds like to me as though you have plenty to teach already. If nothing else, the key basic elements of safe handling. Good job - keep it up.
  • wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Twenty or thirty years from now a big bearded guy will come up to you and thank you for what you did for him when he was young. Those kids grow up and change appearance but in thier eyes you will always be their hero and mentor. Thats time well spent.
    "If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?" Will Rogers
    standard.jpg