In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Handgun scopes

woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
edited February 2002 in General Discussion
Ok, I've never had a handgun I felt needed a scope until now. Last saturday I put my deposit down and got on the waiting list for a generation 2 Contender. I'm buying just the frame for now then I'll buy barrels. My plans are a .375 Winchester for deer and a .17 HRF for called in predators at night, also woodchucks during the day. Local regulations require a rimfire under some of the circumstances I'll be hunting under. I've had bad experience with exit holes on furbearers with the .22 mag, thus my interest in experimenting with the .17. The country I hunt will limit most shots too 50-75 yds with both barrels. Anyone have any scope recomendations. I'd like to stay in the $200.00 price range.WOODS

Comments

• instrumentofwarinstrumentofwar Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    at that range an aimpoint, or other such version should do nicely.
  • pops401pops401 Member Posts: 616 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use a red dot (leupold gilmore). If you still have good eyes, they make great pistol scopes. Good for the late shots too.
  • robsgunsrobsguns Member Posts: 4,581 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I HAD, a pistol scope for sale, but a fella bought it, in the process of it anyway. I will tell you something I will take some heat over probably. I dont like scopes on handguns, now that I've tried one. The eye relief is critical. When firing straight out in front of you everything is fine. When firing to the side while just moving just your arms to do so though, it gets complicated. Your eye relief changes greatly, because your arms are in effect changed in length due to the movement sideways. I had this problem on a deer this year, and it had a lot to do with my makeing the shot, but poorly. The eye relief changed so much, that I had to pull my head back and really push the gun away from me to be able to see through the scope. I'm rushed for time to type this, you see where I'm going with this, I wouldnt use a scope again, maybe a red dot sight type, or holo sight, but not a scope, they're not for me, think about your application needs, and make up your own mind accordingly.
    SSgt Ryan E. Roberts, USMC
  • CAndres35CAndres35 Member Posts: 453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SAVE YOUR MONEY AND BUY A HOLO-SIGHT
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can you recommend the best option for a S&W 686 (.357) with a 6" barrel? I can get hunting accuracy with it out to about 35 yards. That is the purpose for which the scope is intended.
  • gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    scope are fine for stationary targets but suck for hunting,listen to robsguns he has it right about the hunting part!! I personally have owned and used a aimpoint and tasco pro point but have found that during first light its hard to find your target thought them, what I have found to work best for me is the bushnell holo sight I have 3 of them now and really like the ones that come with the 1 MOA dot they are on my ruger 44 mag , rem 870 12 ga and t/c encore 50 cal. try them you won't be sorry
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys, I'm looking at Halosights first. My only experience with a scoped pistol was with a contender k-hornet a guy at my club owns. Seemed ok but I did have some eye relief problems shooting it. I atributed it to being set up for him not me. I figured I could get away with irons on the .375, but want more precise shot placement with the .17. The kill zone on a red fox is alot smaller than most people realize. To me there is nothing that compares to sitting in a snow covered woods on a clear night with a full moon. I've got a new co-worker who owns a 60 acre woodlot about 10 miles from home. His daughters pet banties & a bunch of kittens have disapeared. He says those woods are mine. I'm betting it's coyotes but I'm hoping foxes. WOODS
  • SXSMANSXSMAN Member Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Although I no longer hunt w/handgun (Only use smokepole now) I had a Redfield ESD on a 629 and liked it.I know what Ryan is saying about a normal scope and hunting.The holosight seems to work great for shooting bowling pins,would think it would work good for hunting also.I should have said no longer hunt deer w/handgun,I still will use a handgun for squirrel or rabbit (22).And of course a trusty SxS!
  • PupPup Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    *throwing in the .02 worth* I have 2 Millett Red Dot scopes, one on the Ruger 44 for hunting and the other on the Browning for bullseye competition. As they're both 1x magnification there's no issue of eye relief. 11 power settings make it useful in any lighting conditons. They come in 1" and 30mm tubes I believe. They've both performed very well for me.
  • pops401pops401 Member Posts: 616 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Woodsrunner, go to the auction site here and punch in Trigicon. they make a real good halo type site that will do what you want.
  • Richie RichRichie Rich Member Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a super redhawk with a burris 1.5x4 on it and have learned to shoot it with both eyes open, this was hard to do at first but now is second nature.
    Remember,"your woman may not find you handsome, But atleast she'll find ya handy". I love that show..............