In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Something I never thought Id see at a swap meet....

smooth_operatorsmooth_operator Member Posts: 227 ✭✭✭
edited April 2002 in General Discussion
Well it's easter sunday and I had this itch to drive over a hundred miles to go to a swap meet. Hell, it was on a different state! About five minuites after getting there, I saw this riflescope on a table being padded by a used athletic sock... I proceeded to pick it up and noticed the letter "B" etched in gold on the windage cover; so I thought hmmm....must be a bushnell. To my surprise it was a Burris 6x with a price tag of $140 taped to the tube. After talking to the seller for a few minuites he told me to make him a ridiculous offer because he has never heard of this particular brand and that he only got the scope from a buddy that owed him some $$$. Thinking that he was kidding, I told him I'd give him $60 for it...honestly, at this point I was expecting him to laugh but instead he smiled and asked for my money.... Needless to say, I had a vey big grin on my face as I said thanks and walked away. Now for my question... What is this thing worth? And does anyone know anything about Burris' warranty policy in case this might need repairs? (although, theere are no visible nicks or scratches on it) On the eyepiece it is engraved "6x fullfield, MADE IN USA" and "BURRIS" on the body.Has anyone else stumbled into something similar on a swap meet? I usually find a lot of junk on the ones I've been too...-smooth
Life is the leading cause of death.Everything else is just a contributing factor.

Comments

• rmeyerrmeyer Member Posts: 566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Find some awful good things at swap meets and some of the sellers dont know what they've got. Picked up from an AZ flea market last year 3 20 round factory mini 14 mags at an unbelievable price.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As far as I can tell that Fullfield is no longer made, they now make the Fullfield II. The scope is probably worth up to twice what you paid. Nice find, Congrats!
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    warranty in forever.
  • varmit huntervarmit hunter Member Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fullfields are still being made.As Just c said, They have a one word warranty. Forever.Best service dept I have ever seen.
    A unarmed man is a subject.A armed man is a citizen.[This message has been edited by varmit hunter (edited 04-01-2002).]
  • mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've found a couple of "diamonds" at swap meets. The best was a uncut, almost pristine, bayonet for my Garand. Had "1943" and "USMC" stamped on it. My Garand is a restored October 1943 Winchester. Paid $100 for it. Saw others for sale for twice that in poorer condition. The other was 500 rounds of .38-40 ammo. (I just happen to have a 1st gen SAA in .38-40.) Guy and his wife at a table full of, what appeared to be, stuff out of their attic. Factory is about $32 a box of 50. I got all 500 rounds for $80. Mudge the haggler
    I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!
  • JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That was a great deal, but it also demonstrates the almost universal truth that used glass has about the worst resale of anything in our hobby. These potential bargins are one of the reasons that we are all hooked on this stuff. I can remember some fantastic deals over the years, and some real lemons as well. One of my most memorable good deals was seeing a guy walking around a little show carrying what I recognized as an old Colt Pre-War box. When I stopped the guy to inquire, I learned in the original box was an early first year Colt .38 Super with target, papers, etc., plus the partial box of 1929 vintage ammunition said to represent the only time the gun was ever fired. He got the gun from a late uncle and was looking to trade for a new Colt Government Model to shoot. In a few minutes, I had made a deal and could not stop grinning for a long time thereafter. Fortunately, I happened to have a friend who was wanting to trade his NIB Government Model for something else, so I took a chance that I could finish that deal so as to acquire a new Government Model to trade. Later that day, I made that deal with my friend by telephone, and he left the gun in the milk box at his house because he was leaving town as soon as he hung up with me. Later that evening, I picked up the Government Model and met the Colt seller the next day in a nearby town to complete the transfer. There are some other deals as well that bring out the grin even years later. When I think of the lemons, however, the grin fades a little. Still, having something special far outweighs the loss of mere money (and ego damage) of the bad deals. Maybe at the next gun show, I will find that one item that has eluded me for decades! See you there.[This message has been edited by JudgeColt (edited 04-01-2002).]
  • ked-marked-mar Member Posts: 89 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This didn't happen at swap meet ' but you might find it interesting. I was helping out a friend in his gun shop, back in the 70,s. A little old man came in and asked the owner if he wanted to buy a Colt automatic pistol. The owner said NO with out asking any questions.I was doing a lot of Bulleye's eye shooting, back then, so I followed the old man to his car, and asked if I could see his pistol. The car was a dirty 60 Plymouth 4 door, that looked like it had never been washed. The old man reached under the front seat,and came out with a wool sweater, all wrapped up. He laid the sweater on the hood and unwrapped it. The was a 70 Series Gold cup! I looked it over, and asked what he wanted for it.He said he would have to have 35.00. He said he bought it new, but never shoot it. I gave him the money, went back in shop, and ran the serial on FBI hot line but it was a good number. Sorry for length of story. Some days you eat the bear,and some days he eats you!
    LOOK TWICE,SHOOT ONCE.
  • will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    I go to swap meets and buy broken Craftsman tools and cart 'em off to sears for my "replacements". Pretty greedy ain't I?
    There is no apology for self defense. will270win@aol.com ~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • UNIVERSITY50UNIVERSITY50 Member Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    found a unissued 03A3 stock wrap in newpaper at flea market last year, all the metal included, $1.00(one dollar). 35 30 round m16 mags still sealed in the gov. alum./oil paper wrappers dated 1969, 21 of them were colts. $20.00 for all 35, did not even try to talk him down on price. the old guy smiled as he took the money and said "i don't know what your going to do with them things, they only fit in machine guns" i thank him.
  • Richie RichRichie Rich Member Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    well, my most recent big take was at a gun show in mesa,az. I am a communications tech. and use a hand held testset(it is like a telephone handset with alligator clips on it) anyway this one guy has one in a box and it turns out that it was a speakerphone one that sells new for over $350.00 I gladly paid his asking price of $10.00Good find Rich
    Remember,"your woman may not find you handsome, But atleast she'll find ya handy". I love that show..............