In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Shooting Tips

diver1diver1 Member Posts: 502 ✭✭
edited March 2002 in General Discussion
Hello, I can get good groups with my 270 at100 yds. As I move out to 200yds I can'tseem to keep the group together. I quess it'sbecause I can't hold the same point on the target. Does anyone have any practice tips that might help with long range shooting?I know that more practice is needed I would like to be able to shoot longer distances. thanks vince

Comments

• Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What size of groups are you getting?
  • Options
    Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Also, what bullet is your ammo loaded with?
  • Options
    diver1diver1 Member Posts: 502 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    At 100yds all with a quarter. as I move outthey are all on the right but several inchesaway from each other. I reload 130 noslerpartiton. thanks
  • Options
    Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    diver1-- Though a 130 gr. bullet in a 270 is not considered a heavy bullet, it isn't considered a light bullet either. So I doubt insufficient bullet weight (ballistic coefficient) is the problem.If you are getting quarter-size groups at 100 yards, you should be getting approximately 1-1/2 to 2" groups at 200. If your groups are larger than that, about the only thing I can think of is down-range wind. On the range you are shooting on, is there any way there could be significant cross-winds coming across beyond the 100 yard berm? And if you are shooting past the 100 yard berm, could the berm be causing the corss-winds to swirl?It takes a pretty stiff wind to upset a 130 gr. 270 bullet, but it is possible.Another idea: Is there direct sunlight on your 100 yard target and your 200 yard target in the shade? Make sure targets at both ranges have the same type of light for a comparison. Don't give up on the problem. There is an explanation...you just have to find it. And when you do, you will have learned some things that will make you a better long range shooter.
  • Options
    Shootist3006Shootist3006 Member Posts: 4,171
    edited November -1
    What kind of sights are you using? If a scope, what power? What type of target/aiming point are you using? What MV are you getting? Have you tried other ammo? Need answers to all above before I can address your problem as any/all could have a bearing. As close as you are shooting, it is going to be something strange. Normally, 200 yd groups echo 100 (or sometimes are better) Wind, BC, mirage etc. should not cause this problem (unless there is a LOT of wind or the BC is less than .2). Put more info up and I'm sure someone here can help you.WOW, did anybody see the sear break of my puter and post 12 rapid fire posts?Another question - how are you shooting? Bench? offhand? prone? - what. could have a large bearing on groups.
    Quod principi placuit legis habet vigorem.Semper Fidelis[This message has been edited by Shootist3006 (edited 03-04-2002).]
  • Options
    whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When groups open up like that, most often the reason is optical. Parallax error is more critical the further out you go. Parallax is the error introduced when you do not hold your eye aligned exactly the same, shot for shot, behind the scope.Second thing I would look at would be the shape of the aiming aiming point. I use a square, then quarter the square in the crosshairs. It's easier to get all quarters the same size (crosshairs are dead on center) if each quarter is a square rather than a pie shaped wedge. (This works best for me)Third would be the power of magnification. With a fixed power scope of low magnification, say 4 or 6X, it is logically harder to aim precisely at a more distant target.I doubt it is your load or cartridge choice.Hope this helps. Clouder..
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Clouder makes a good point with the parallax, best way to check it is to bed the gun in sand bags while aiming to the target. Make sure it holds point of aim and without touching the gun look thru the scope, now move you head side to side and up and down while watching the cross hairs. If they appear to be moving on the paper it is time to adjust the scope. Keep in mind that adjusting for one distance can throw other distances off. Other thing I would make sure of is proper bedding in the bags. Even at 100 yds the slightest movement will ruin the group. You need to be sure you are holding the exact same spot each time with no flinches. Best thing to do when shooting group is to use the highest power of the scope, just remember to crank it back down before hunting with it. The higher you crank it the easier it is to get a perfect hold each time. Bad groups can often times be shooter error and not using a good rest. I prefer good sandbags over the varmit rests for shooting group.
  • Options
    whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    7MM:If I may disagree with you. My experience shows there is a point of diminishing returns as regards magnification in a shooting scope. At 100 yards, anything above about 14 or 16 causes my groups to open up slightly. At 36 power I can see my heart beat make the aiming point dance. That seems to affect my aiming. Reduce the power and the effect is reduced as well. At 500 yards, 36 power is fine as the aiming point is not so apparent.One other point. The only way to deal with parallax is eye placement. Changing the scope is pointless unless you shoot it at precisely the same range every shot. You learn to control parallax error through good practice. Clouder..[This message has been edited by whiteclouder (edited 03-04-2002).]
  • Options
    .280 freak.280 freak Member Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Clouder -I liked your idea of a square aiming point. makes good sense, gonna give it a shot. (Pun intended)Another way, one that I have used for over 20 years, also works well. My ex father-in-law taught it to me, it's cheap and easy. Simply take a plain white paper plate and put two pieces of black electrical tape on it. They should run from edge to edge across the plate, one vertical, one horizontal, crossing in the center of the plate.When aiming at this target, it is very easy to "overlap" the crosshairs of the scope over the tape, thus making a consistent hold, if you don't flinch, pretty much a sure thing. Try my version sometime and tell me what you think.
  • Options
    TED GARTED GAR Member Posts: 389 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have that problem with a fixed 4 power or 6 power scope. No problem with a variable, just put it on 12 power, and you can see the target just dandy, thus you get a better group. Also doesnt hurt to put it in a portable bench rest either.
  • Options
    Richie RichRichie Rich Member Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had the "wobble" as I call it, BUT, it is what clouder is saying with the power vs. distance I have a 8x32x50 on my 22-250 and when shooting it on higher power at closer distances I could see myself wobbleing very bad. This opened up my groups BUT, when I reduced the power to say 16 or 18 it was fine and I shot dime groups.Rich
    Remember,"your woman may not find you handsome, But atleast she'll find ya handy". I love that show..............