In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Olympic Arms upper assy in 45 ACP Test report

steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
edited December 2001 in General Discussion
About a year ago I asked the experts if anyone had experience with Oly Arms 45 uppers. At that time there were no responses so I figured I'd give todays test results with my newly acquired upper. I fired 100 FMJ 230 gr loads with no jams or problems. From the bench with iron sights I shot 2.5 inch 10 shot groups at 50 yds. I dont have the best eyes for iron sights so it might even do better. I shot 70 230 gr. lead bullet reloads and got 10 shot groups of 2 inches at 50 yds with no jams or problems. All of these groups were shot off sandbags testing the rifle and not me. Im pretty happy with this setup will mount some glass and try some 100 yd groups later. Will also try some 200 gr semi-wad reloads and check reliability.

Comments

• Options
    royc38royc38 Member Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glad you posted this. I was eyeing up the .45 or 10mm upper and you were the first to mention anything about them. If I go on to purchase one I will post my findings.
  • Options
    travelortravelor Member Posts: 442 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've heard that that .45 upper has a pretty short drop range...I have a .45 usc by H&K, though it holds a nice tight group, I have yet to take it out to a hundred yards...would like to know how it works out...
    keep lots of extra uppers for your ar..you can change often enough to keep the thing from over heating...what ever caliber fits the moment..~Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Options
    steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I dont know myself what it will shoot like at 100 yds. Am not really expecting much but it has suprised me so far, will keep you posted.
  • Options
    luger01luger01 Member Posts: 230 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Steve-I'd recommend staying away from lead bullets with any gas-operated weapon. Especially one like the AR-15. That small gas tube will end up clogged and make you weapon inoperable, except as a single shot/manual feed rifle.Use FMJ or JHP bullets only and save yourself some grief later.
  • Options
    JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think the pistol cartridge chambering uppers are all blowback, and there is no gas port, so lead bullets do not make any difference to the gas system.