In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

FACTORY NICKEL PLATING

quamnetquamnet Member Posts: 332 ✭✭
edited March 2002 in General Discussion
I have been posting about nickel plating a remington 7400. For the most part, I have not heard too many good things about nickel plating from a gunsmith. Darkstar11 told me however that remington is coming out with a new 7400 nickel plated from the factory. It retails for over $669, but I can get it for $499. That compares with a regular synthetic at $429 . My question is if the factory plating is any better? Would that be a good buy since it is done at the factory??? Let me know. Thanks as always.

Comments

• quamnetquamnet Member Posts: 332 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What about tarnishing, reflective glare that spooks game, accuracy, durability (does it last for a long time), care (anything special)?
  • JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I assume the nickel M7400 will be the same finish as on the Marine M870, an electroless nickel matt finish that is very durable and corrosion-resistant. (It is nickel that is used under chrome plating to add corrosion resistance.) The finish is not shiney and would be less reflective than standard bluing. It is not the same finish as one would find on a nickel-plated Smith & Wesson M29, for instance.