In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Senate backs trigger locks for guns

jdyerjdyer Member Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2005 in General Discussion
Looks like even the Republicans have abandoned us now! - Article Below

Senate backs trigger locks for guns
Thu Jul 28, 2005 02:28 PM ET

By Joanne Kenen
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Senate on Thursday strongly backed requiring child safety locks to be sold with all handguns, part of a broader debate over a legal shield for the gun industry.

The amendment was approved by a bipartisan 70-30 vote. The Senate has backed similar measures several times in recent years, but the legislation has always died in larger struggles over gun politics.

The amendment's lead sponsor, Democrat Herb Kohl of Wisconsin, said he did not know what the ultimate outcome would be this time around but told reporters after the vote, "The American people overwhelmingly support safety locks."

The Senate is debating the "Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms" bill that would protect the gun industry from civil lawsuits.

It is a top priority of the National Rifle Association, the influential gun lobby, and the White House has strongly endorsed it. It is expected to pass the Senate in the next day or two, and win House approval later this year.

Backers of the bill have sought to keep it clear of amendments. Last year they ended up sinking their own legislation rather than accept gun control amendments, but the child lock provision is among the less controversial firearms safety measures.

The Kohl amendment requires a trigger lock or safe storage device with any handgun sold by a licensed dealer.

Lawmakers continued to spar over the sweep of the lawsuit protection bill. Backers said it would halt politically-inspired "junk" lawsuits aimed at running the gun industry out of business by holding law-abiding gun makers and sellers responsible if a purchaser used a gun in a crime.

Critics say the bill is actually far more sweeping and would make it nearly impossible to hold gun sellers responsible for reckless behavior, such as selling weapons to "straw buyers" covering for criminals.

Comments

• Options
    Jake_S-83Jake_S-83 Member Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    seems to me, it didnt mention anything about using the lock or laws regarding storage. so what would stop me from buying a 2-3 dollar lock, then chucking it on my way out the store? If I were a dealer, I would maybe take 2 bucks off the cost of the gun, and include the lock for free[:D] just to piss on the decision.
  • Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    As long as the law does not hold me criminally responsable if my guns are found to not have a trigger lock on them I have neither the time, money or energy to fight this bill.

And neither does any of the pro-gun rights groups.

The bill should do little harm and might even be good PR for guns and gun owners.

4lizad
  • Options
    ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    tr fox,

It may not find you liable, but your retailer could face fines of up to $10,000 if they fail to sell a lock with each handgun.[V]

And so it begins - don't target the manufacturers, target the retailers.

Gun control by any other name is still f**king gun control.

Bush won - THANK GOD!
  • Options
    Aspen79seAspen79se Member Posts: 4,707
    edited November -1
    EMM: Where the hell is it stated in the article that Bush had anything what so ever to do with this bill?

Dance Hippo. Dance.
    hippo-blue1.gif
  • Options
    jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    Locks are $4.

At a recent PA auction, the notice said the transfer was $4 or $5, and the lock was $4.

The auction house got it's own FFL to comply with laws requiring a check of buyers. Previously, I think it was cash and carry.

Gotta love PA. Now to kick that nuzzard Rendel back to Philadelphjia.

So, how the heck is Massachusetts gun law get so convoluted?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Aspen,

GOP-dominated Congress voted on a piece of legislation that was part of Bush's agenda.

If Bush didn't like it or want it, he would have fought it. But for the man who said he supports a new AWB, this makes a wonderful first step.

Bush, by his inaction, has let this putrid piece of legislation through.[:(!]
  • Options
    Aspen79seAspen79se Member Posts: 4,707
    edited November -1
    The President does not debate the amendmets to every bill.

Dance Hippo. Dance.
    hippo-blue1.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Aspen,

The President doesn't seem to debate much of anything, now does he?

He has time to cut his vacation short and fly back to D.C. to sign special legislation to keep Terri Schiavo hooked up to a machine, but he doesn't have the time to make phone calls to tell GOP senators to vote against this piece of legislative bu!!$#!t?

Give me a break.

He's testing the waters - if this goes over without a big stink, you can bet he's mulling over a new AWB for after the 2006 elections.

"Gun locks are for safety." Well, substitute "Banning 'assault weapons'" for "gun locks" and you can see this slippery slope for what it really is - anti-gun legislation sneaking in under the cover of darkness... or, in this case, gun owner apathy.
  • Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bush said that he supports mandatory trigger lock legislation.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    From interview with Jim Leher

GOV. GEORGE W. BUSH: Common sense policy; common sense policy about
    guns. Like many Americans, I'm deeply concerned about this random violence we see on TV. I am troubled by the kids walking into the zoo with a gun and expressing their anger by shooting somebody. And life has been so devalued in some neighborhoods that it's just -- it's okay to act out your aggressions with a weapon. And that's why -- and I don't know what their position is on this and background checks -- at gun shows -- but I supported background checks at gun shows.

And the reason why the federal government ought to be involved is it's the federal government that issues licenses to gun dealers and therefore has the access to the computer to determine whether or not a citizen is eligible or not eligible to purchase a weapon. You know, the trigger lock debate is an interesting debate. I would sign a bill that mandated trigger locks with the sale of guns, but I don't want people in America to think that it's some great panacea, because you've got to put the trigger locks on the guns, I mean, in order for them to be effective. So gun safety is a good issue. But I also want to enforce the laws, and I think there needs to be vigorous prosecution of gun laws on the books, and real quick ...

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • Options
    Hunter375Hunter375 Member Posts: 612 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jdyer
    [navy The Senate on Thursday strongly backed requiring child safety locks to be sold with all handguns, part of a broader debate over a legal shield for the gun industry.

Have our representatives been sleeping fo rthe last decade? All handguns sold in the US are supplied with a locking device (don't remember the legislation # off hand). So why on God's green earth should it be required that we supply a second lock???

the word redundent comes to mind.

Save the seals-club a liberal instead.
  • Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hunter375
    quote:Originally posted by jdyer
    [navy The Senate on Thursday strongly backed requiring child safety locks to be sold with all handguns, part of a broader debate over a legal shield for the gun industry.

Have our representatives been sleeping fo rthe last decade? All handguns sold in the US are supplied with a locking device (don't remember the legislation # off hand). So why on God's green earth should it be required that we supply a second lock???

the word redundent comes to mind.

Save the seals-club a liberal instead.

While I don't know if the above is true, I do know it is not true for used guns at least in the state of Kansas.

4lizad
  • Options
    adminadmin Member, Administrator Posts: 1,079 admin
    edited November -1
    Easy folks. This is no big deal. Starting several years ago, all new handguns are already required to be sold with a trigger lock. The amendment requires that licensed dealersinclude some sort of locking or storage device with each handgun sold. Since new handguns already include a lock, only used handguns sold by a dealer are effected.

Since the language specifically mentions dealers, the implication is that private party transfers are excluded, although private party sales done through a transfer dealer will likely need to include a locking device.

You can buy these things is lots for a couple of bucks per, and the NSSF hands them out free of charge through Operation Child Safe (see http://www.nssf.org/)

If this amendment is all that gets tacked on and the bill passes it is a small price to pay for the continued health and viability of the firearm industry.
  • Options
    gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just one more nail in the coffin containing our rights as US citizens.

Oh, I forgot, it is no big deal anyways and besides 6 out of 10 gun owners support gun locks and in Rendell's Pennsylvania gun owners would not mind paying an extra .35 cents a round if it meant more childrens' lives being saved.

It's all BS-vote getting-take away your rights-feel good legislation.

geronimo2.bmp
    Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.
  • Options
    adminadmin Member, Administrator Posts: 1,079 admin
    edited November -1
    I don't see how making guns include an external locking device is taking away our gun rights. You don't have to use the thing. Throw it away once you get it if you want.

Saying that including a mandatory external lock is "taking your gun rights away" is like claiming that emissions equipment, airbags, seat belts and safety glass is taking your automobile rights away. Some of you may argue that the Model T Ford was a better car than, say, a 2005 Chrysler 300C but I for one prefer the latter and its aforementioned safety equipment.

Sure the trigger lock amendment is touchy feely do-nothing legislation. And yes, it adds a few bucks to the cost of a purchase or transfer. But having this bill pass will likely reduce the cost of firearms because it will virtually eliminate the cost of legislation and will likely make insurance cheaper.

If the trigger lock amendment is the political price paid to get the bill passed then it is a cheap price indeed.
  • Options
    chappsynychappsyny Member Posts: 3,381 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dealers have had to make trigger locks available with gun purchases for a long time. Most dealers accumulate a lot of misc. gun junk in the course of their business, including a lot of trigger locks. I have a pretty good size box of them that I give out for free with purchases if people want one and their guns don't come with them. Also, most police departments will provide them free of charge if people ask. Any requirement that guns be sold with a trigger lock won't affect the price or volume of gun sales in any way.

cat.gif
  • Options
    thunderboltthunderbolt Member Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congress shouldn't legislate what you have to sell. Trigger locks will go up in price if a law demands dealers sell them with every gun. Add mandatory hearing and eye protection (at ever increasing prices) and guns will be priced beyond reason. There goes your gun
    business!
  • Options
    BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    I just wish they would allow the USPS to start shipping handguns instead of having to go through UPS ND or Fed Ex Overnight. This BS is highway robbery.

Boomer

"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as it is by the obstacles which one has overcome while trying to succeed"

. and the antithesis to this philosophy was uttered by Bill Clinton "I smoked it, but I didn't inhale."[V]

NRA Life Member