In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ruger O/U shotguns

WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,904 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I'm not new to shooting as many of you probably know, and it just dawned on me that I do not ever recall shooting with anyone using a Ruger for trap or skeet? Anybody know if I'm just imagining this or is there a reason for it?

R/

Dave

How different the world would be if we could consult the veteran instead of the politician. - Henry Miller

Comments

• bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Probably never will unless its someone practicing with their hunting gun. I've taken a half dozen off of the rack brand new and the forearms rattle around. Kind of disconcerting on the trap field to have a wobble gun.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • allamericanskeetallamericanskeet Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i used a ruger red label for about 5 months to skeet shoot with the only problem i had with the gun is that i had powder build up behind the top barrel. but other than that i had no problem out of the gun.
  • orca44magorca44mag Member Posts: 690 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never gave it much thought til now, but no I haven't seen one. I kinda glance at what folks are shooting with and mostly see everything BUT Red Labels.
    edited November -1
    Was the fore arm fit snug?

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to shoot an all-weather Red Label and I liked it quite a bit. However, I've also got a Benelli Super Black Eagle and it's a much more versatile gun and is lighter to carry too. In the end, I sold the Red-label. I think it was a good gun, I don't know why the Citori is seen a lot on the range but the Ruger is not.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bambihunter
    I think it was a good gun, I don't know why the Citori is seen a lot on the range but the Ruger is not.

Bambi, I think you answered your own question. I think the Ruger is a good gun , but I think the Browning is better balanced and quicker to get up.Most shooters on the clays ranges think the same thing I'd bet. I'd still like to get a stainless Ruger for bird hunting though.

• bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BDJ, if you are a waterfowler get the newer matte stainless model (I can't recall what they named it). I had the early one which was fairly shiny and had to cover it up. It's hard to beat it though, it can certianly handle the weather and abuse (but couldn't beat out the Benelli SBE). [^]

I like Citori's a lot too, but of the one's I've shot I thought the Red Label shot with the best of 'em. But, I'm not a competition shooter and I hit clays and live birds about the same regardless...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bambi- I know what shotgun you're talking about, and it sure is pretty to look at but I always wondered if it would blind you while you were outdoors[8D]

R/

Dave

How different the world would be if we could consult the veteran instead of the politician. - Henry Miller
    edited November -1
    I get kind of nervous when it rains on me while shooting one of my blue guns. I think the Ruger with 28 inch barrels would be a great water fouler. I'll look for the matte finish. Thanks for the tip, ...again.

• Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    BDJ
    You would probably have a heart attack over the places my Cetori GTI clays gun has been used, Duck blinds, rabbit and pheasant hunting in briars & brambles, used with slugs for deer etc. If it feels good, use it.

Dave W
    Balance and fit are everything in skeet/trap (OK, shotguns in general) for me the Red Lable is excessivly nose heavy. The comb on the Parrazzi's I tried felt like the sharp edge of a board to my cheek. Not saying anything bad about either of them, just that they didn't feel good to me.
    The Weatherby Orian I had felt good to me, but the sear mechanisum failed within 6 months (very common problem with them, at that time).

Whittemore
    Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • allamericanskeetallamericanskeet Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    to balance the ruger red label and reduce recoil i put a mercury recoil reducer in the but stock and the forend was not loose.

jake lineberger
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As a novice at clay pigeons, I listened to a lot of advice at the range Rugers are supposed to be very durable and stand up to a good deal of shooting without needing service. I thought I needed one but none of them fit me as well as the Citori or the Beretta overunders.
    Rugers were a little heavier too.
  • SXSMANSXSMAN Member Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I sold my 28 ga red label to a guy from the forums . Told me he was buying it for his wife to shoot skeet . Never heard back from him though . The 28 ga had a nice balance but I found I kept turning the shootgun (like a gang banger) to make it shoot good [:D].

Have guns,will travel