In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Mig welder question

shootitshootit Member Posts: 86 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I'd like to get a small 115V mig welder to use around my house. I prefer not to invest alot of money ($600) in a tool that I will seldom use but I don't want to buy a piece of junk either. I'd really appreciate any and all recommendations/advice. Thanks.

NRA Life Member

Comments

• shootitshootit Member Posts: 86 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Figgered I would ask here since there are so many knowledgable folks here.

I havent welded since the 80's and the last mig I used was a Snapon but I do not remember the specifics on it. What I need is a mig that can be turned down enough to weld sheet metal without warping it, weld heavy steels on cars such as frames and run on 120V. I checked into the flux core welders but was told by the salesman that a flux core is basicly for rough light welding such as for farmers mending equipment. WHat can I buy used without spending too much $$ that will handle what I need to do, a car restoration?
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,858 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    I had a Hobart Handler. My buddy has it now. It has been an excellent for 15 years. I have also been around a little Lincoln machine. It was a good welder also. I would stick to a known name brand and avoid the Harbor Freight/discount tool dealer type welders. A friend of mine bought a Harbor Freight welder about the time I got the Hobart. After a year it lost a circuit board and it took him 18 months to get one.

With a name brand you might go over your $600.00 price a bit to get all you need(welder, gas bottle, and gas regulator) but you should be able to do it on $700.00-$750.00.

Aberdeen.gif
    81st FA BN WWII...Thanks Dad
    U!S!A! ALL THE WAY!!
  • hawkeye6020hawkeye6020 Member Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    stick with a hobart,lincolin or miller may cost a bit more but will be worth it in the long run. i have not had any luck with the flux core type of wire either so i would suggest getting the regulater and useing gas. we have a 135 amp miller at work, i think the whole package cost about 750.00

"Life is not a journey to the grave wtih the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body,

But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming

-WOW- WHAT A RIDE!!!!!"
  • cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,568 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have good advice already shootit. I have had my Lincoln for about 12 years. If you get one of those cheap ones it will end up at your next range appliance shoot!

cbxjeff<P>It's too late for me, save yourself. <br>
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I agree I'd invest the money in a good one right off the bat. I bought a cheap one from Harbor Freight tools a few years back and it sucked. I ended up trading it to a buddy for an ancient stick welder. I still got the stick welder and it does fine for the little use I give it.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    After years in the auto biz, and wearing out more than a few machines, I just bought a lincoln SP-135. Although my supplier gave me a great deal, ($350, tax incl,) I would venture to say with a retail of about 380, this is the machine foryou. Now I no longer have to rely on my welder to support me, I think you can't go wrong with this one. I'tll do up to a quarter inch, and for body work, it's (mammaries).[:D] Get a decent sized bottle of argon/co2 mix for around a buck fifty. flux wire is 'ok' but for really clean welds, the argomix is the way to go. Also the SP 135 takes the 20# (pound) spool so it should last you a long time, and it comes with a regulator, and a crappy mask, that you can use to let other people watch you weld. (spend 20 bucks on a good helmet, with at least a #9 shield).....hope this helps.

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it that the former does not submit to hereditary predjudices, but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." - Albert E.

On my tombstone:"Keep you eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel..."the Lizard King
  • rcrxmike_2rcrxmike_2 Member Posts: 3,275
    edited November -1
    DAMMITT!!!!!! I did it again. No, my old lady does not weld. Gotta start chk'inwho's name i'm under!quote:Originally posted by rcrxs old lady
    After years in the auto biz, and wearing out more than a few machines, I just bought a lincoln SP-135. Although my supplier gave me a great deal, ($350, tax incl,) I would venture to say with a retail of about 380, this is the machine foryou. Now I no longer have to rely on my welder to support me, I think you can't go wrong with this one. I'tll do up to a quarter inch, and for body work, it's (mammaries).[:D] Get a decent sized bottle of argon/co2 mix for around a buck fifty. flux wire is 'ok' but for really clean welds, the argomix is the way to go. Also the SP 135 takes the 20# (pound) spool so it should last you a long time, and it comes with a regulator, and a crappy mask, that you can use to let other people watch you weld. (spend 20 bucks on a good helmet, with at least a #9 shield).....hope this helps.

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it that the former does not submit to hereditary predjudices, but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." - Albert E.

On my tombstone:"Keep you eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel..."the Lizard King

JOIN PETA! (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS) I didn't climb to the top of the food chain to have a salad and spring water!
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One word Miller! [:D]
    http://www.millerwelds.com/products/mig/millermatic_135/
    millermatic135.jpg

gun.gif
    Those who live by the
    sword get shot by those who don't.

[img][/img]Santa_Cruz.gif
  • rcrxmike_2rcrxmike_2 Member Posts: 3,275
    edited November -1
    www.lincolnwelders.com is their site....good luck

JOIN PETA! (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS) I didn't climb to the top of the food chain to have a salad and spring water!
  • HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    Have no use for MIG/MAG welding.

The few things I need welded, I do those by TIG instead.
    I feel it's easier to control and make a good weld that way.

polarbear.gif
    Don't do anything that I've allready done - That'd be just plain STOOOOOOPID.
  • 1022man1022man Member Posts: 512 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought an off brand one from harborfrieght.com (I think) a couple years ago. I don't use it a lot, but it's handy and was fairly cheap. The other names listed before are much better, but if your not going to use it a lot, a cheaper one may be better. I'll have mine for years to come, as long as dad dosn't tear it up, he's hard on all tools!
  • shootitshootit Member Posts: 86 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info and suggestions. Sounds like Lincoln may be the best way for me to go.

NRA Life Member