In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Officer's gun goes off during show-and-tell

Josey1Josey1 Member Posts: 9,598 ✭✭
edited February 2002 in General Discussion
Officer's gun goes off during show-and-tellBy Barbara Boyer and Thomas J. Gibbons Jr.Inquirer Staff WritersShortly after a Philadelphia policewoman passed around a loaded handgun among students during show-and-tell at a Germantown charter school, the weapon accidentally discharged yesterday afternoon, grazing a 10-year-old boy in the face.The student, fourth grader James Reeves, received five stitches at Temple University Children's Hospital and returned home last night in good condition, while police and school officials continued their investigation into the incident at Imani Education Circle Charter School in Germantown.The officer, Vanessa Carter-Moragne, 39, a five-year veteran assigned to the Ninth Police District in Center City, was removed from street duty and is now the subject of an Internal Affairs investigation, police said.Acting Commissioner Sylvester M. Johnson called the officer's actions "unheard of and inexcusable.""We're grateful that the injuries were not more serious. . . . It's fortunate that no one got killed today," Johnson said. "I cannot give you a logical explanation for Officer Vanessa Carter-Moragne's poor judgment."Philadelphia Police Capt. Edward Chiodetti said that about 3 p.m., the officer went to the school to pick up her son and was interacting with the students in the boy's classroom. Chiodetti said the children first wanted to see her badge, which she displayed, and then asked to see her weapon, a 9 mm Glock semiautomatic.Johnson said the officer removed the clip from the weapon and then passed the gun among the children.Carter-Moragne "allowed the children to handle it," Johnson said. "When she attempted to place the magazine back into the Glock, her gun accidentally discharged."Even if a clip, which contains the bullets, is removed, a round can remain in the chamber unless it is taken out separately."You never know. You can pull the clip out and there's one in the chamber," Johnson said.A girl who was among the 23 children in the classroom at the time of the incident, 9-year-old Aatiqah Johnson, said: "Everybody was passing it around."The weapon eventually was returned to the officer.Aatiqah said there was a bang, and then she saw blood."She accidentally pulled the trigger," Aatiqah said as she was leaving school holding hands with her mother, Melita Johnson.Authorities said the officer most likely pulled the trigger as she attempted to insert the clip back into the grip.Johnson said the bullet hit the floor and a fragment ricocheted and grazed James Reeves' right cheek.Other students said they were told to return to their rooms after the gun went off as police descended on the campus on the 5600 block of Greene Street.Johnson said officers are trained to never take their weapons to a school or use a gun during a demonstration. Instead, Johnson said, the department advises to use pictures or videos.Imani principal Francine Fulton said that the school encouraged parents to participate in such activities and that the school was aware of the demonstration. Fulton declined to discuss the matter further.Johnson said the demonstration was not coordinated through the Police Department. Officials said arrangements had been made for counselors to speak with children at the school today.Throughout the afternoon yesterday, concerned parents arrived at the school to pick up their children. Many of the parents had heard of the incident from news reports or from friends and already knew that their own children were fine.Tim Williams, whose son Armani is in kindergarten, said he wanted to know more about what happened."I was relieved to find out that it was an off-duty officer and not another student," Williams said. Still, he was concerned about a gun being brought into a classroom. The whole situation, he said, "was too close for comfort."Another parent who rushed to the school, Rhoshanna Morgan, picked up her first grader, Nadirah, 6.Morgan said that she learned of the discharge from relatives who work at the school and that she hoped future show-and-tell programs would be safer."I just hope all the children would be safe," Morgan said.The incident came five days after an off-duty school district police officer who was working as a part-time school-bus driver came under investigation when students from Imani and another charter school told their parents he threatened them with a gun.Police said that officer, who at the time was driving a school bus, stopped on the route after school to calm unruly children. The officer, whose name was not released, hollered at the kids to sit down and be quiet and made reference to his gun. He was not charged, but the matter remained under investigation. http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/2621947.htm

Comments

• Josey1Josey1 Member Posts: 9,598 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Officer fumbles gun, shoots studentPHILADELPHIA, Pennsylvania (AP) -- A 10-year-old boy was grazed in the right cheek by a bullet when an off-duty police officer conducting a school demonstration dropped her gun Wednesday, officials said. The boy was released after treatment at Temple University Children's Medical Center, hospital spokeswoman Jennifer McGowan said. The officer had shown the magazine clip to the class at Imani Education Circle Charter School and had just put it back in the gun when she dropped the weapon, Principal Francine Fulton said. Police department spokesman Sgt. Roland Lee declined to name the officer who joined the department in 1996. Her child was among the 23 students in the class at the time, he said. Copyright 2002 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/02/06/student.shot.ap/index.html
  • njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    Can Philadelphia say "FIRED"?-Charlie
    It's the stuff dreams are made of AngelNRA Certified Firearms InstructorMember: GOA, RKBA, NJSPBA, NJ area rep for the 2ndAMPD. njretcop@copmail.com
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another reason why cops should not be exempt from gun control laws.
    Happiness is a warm gun
  • njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    You tell 'em Sal!-Charlie
    It's the stuff dreams are made of AngelNRA Certified Firearms InstructorMember: GOA, RKBA, NJSPBA, NJ area rep for the 2ndAMPD. njretcop@copmail.com
  • competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I propose that we outlaw stupidity!
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Careful, competent, then we'd eliminate 75% of those who vote Democrat.
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ICONOCLAST- 75%?? You are too kind.
    Happiness is a warm gun
  • gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's funny that I did not see anything on the local news about this incident last night or this morning. Lets sweep it under the carpet and put a lid on the story. When I called NBC-10 they said that they would bring updates about the story but it is not a front line news story because it was a minor incident concerning the accidental discharge of an officer's weapon. Mum is the word.
    Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.
  • usmc2498215usmc2498215 Member Posts: 82 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Let's see, a (5) year police veteran at age (39) hmmm, hired when she was (34). I wonder what she was doing with the first (13) years of her adult life, and why suddenly she is in law enforcement at such a late age. Obviously she had no prior firearms experience, and I would suspect that her "in-house" training at the academy and the police department left alot to be desired. As an LEO, I would welcome her immediate termination for this boned headed stunt. And gentlemen, please don't judge us all by the acts of one individual, leave that to the anti-gun lobby.
  • gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    She (the officer)is counting her lucky stars that no one was killed. Give that she is very lucky. We do not always get a second chance. It is my hope she takes her second chance and does well by it.
  • timberbeasttimberbeast Member Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Johnson: "you never know"??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????Come on!!!!!! This is getting scary, LEO's help me, here!!! Why was her finger on the trigger? LEO's, I'm on your side, but I'm confused as hell of late. I was watching "COPS" a few nights ago, they caught some dirtbag who ran (in a car), drunk as hell, found a gun in his car. Here's the officer, in front of the camera: "Well, we got another AUTOMATIC gun off the street tonight" (it's a Smith 629, and he has his finger on the trigger, with the gun pointed at his partner's back as he shows it's loaded, swings the cylinder closed, still loaded, finger still on the trigger, and says "These are deadly hollowpoint plus P rounds, and you can see he had a lot of ammunition", (as he holds out his hand, there are 6 extra rounds in his hand, they are SWC's, and his finger is still on the trigger of the loaded gun). "We may have prevented a tragedy tonight."What's going on, guys? Is this poor training from lack of funds? (We all know you guys don't get paid enough) or is it just idiots in your midst? This ain't meant as a dig, I wanna hear it's VERY rare. Please!
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Member Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You notice that in the first story, a kid says she squeezed 1 off, and in the second CNN story she dropped it. Her job is safe. Coverup in progress
  • Josey1Josey1 Member Posts: 9,598 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Varmint,NO WAY is her job safe regardless of how the AD happened it happened,injuring a kid no less.She passed around a loaded pistol,no excuse for careless and ignorant handling of a firearm.She is gone,gone ,gone and rightfully so.
  • RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have all missed the most obvious....it was a Glock! Damn plastic guns anyway, Elliot Ness never had this problem with his 1911 whenever he dropped it....
  • LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    I never saw Elliott Ness with anything other than a Smith & Wesson .38 special.As far as the dumb-* lady cop goes: another Affirmative Action success story.
    Lord Lowrider the LoquaciousMember:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets She was only a fisherman's daughter,But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lowrider,I think you're right about Ness, I was remembering the "Untouchables" where Kevin Costner and Frank Nitty were struggling on the roof top....the .45 belonged to Nitty...
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Doing a little stirring Sir Rembrandt? My guess is that she inserted the magazine while the gun was in her hand and her finger was on the trigger. Then I suspect the gun went off due to her stupidity and then I suspect she dropped the gun out of surprise and horror. Most people tend to confuse time and sequence of events in a situation like this. I was taking a street survival class being given by a long-time veteran of the Washington State Police who was an instructor at their academy. He had a fellow LEO with him who assisted in a deomonstration. He had us close our eyes and visualize being woken up by a "bump in the night" while we were nestled our beds. He walked us through the scenario in our minds as we exited our bedroom with a loaded gun and began clearing the house when we came upon the perpetrator who was armed. Then suddenly the whole class heard several LOUD shots which caused us all to open our eyes to find the instructor at one corner of the classroom and the other LEO at the other corner of the classroom (about 10 paces apart) both holding revolvers loaded with blanks. He then asked us all to take out a piece of paper and write down how many shots we heard from each gun that was fired. Nobody was even close on the number of shots fired and which gun fired which shots. It turned out that the instructor was the only one that fired any shots and he only fired five. People were guessing anywhere from three to ten total shots fired and nobody suspected that they all came from one gun. My guess is that the LEO in this case exercised her right to remain silent and the students and teacher were left to give their accounts of what happened--probably distorted by the heat of the moment. I seriously doubt that the dropping of her Glock is what caused the AD. I still stand by my initial theory.
    SSG idsman75, U.S. ARMY[This message has been edited by idsman75 (edited 02-09-2002).]
  • bhale187bhale187 Member Posts: 7,798
    edited November -1
    You gotta love how bad the press can FUBR any and every story. One says it was a magazine passed around and than the gun dropped which caused it to discharge, the other says gun was passed around and when she slips mag back in she has a negligent discharge. This is why I never take the news stations or newspapers stories as anything close to the true facts.