In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Would you take a pay cut.......................

jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2012 in General Discussion
to keep other workers in your company from being laid-off?

Comments

• Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There have been local PDs and SOs that have taken furlow days in order to keep folks from getting layed off. I would.
  • Options
    SawzSawz Member Posts: 6,049
    edited November -1
    I took a pay cut to keep me working does that count
  • Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sawz

That just makes you selfish. Don
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,596 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    only if it was a group effort. Everyone in the company was to take the same percentage of cut then yeah, I would.
  • Options
    SawzSawz Member Posts: 6,049
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcon12
    quote:Originally posted by Sawz

That just makes you selfish. Don

your right no one I work with pays my bills I wish they would be a little more unselfish
  • Options
    DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If everyone did it, yes.

From what I have seen, about 98% of the time when union workers are offered this deal they say screw the new hires and vote to cut people loose rather than loose some of their own pay. I recall a couple years back a large union shop voted on a $20 per month cut or fire a couple dozen workers and those compassionate union folks voted to keep their $20 and fire the newbs. Vote was like 95%.
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • Options
    Waco WaltzWaco Waltz Member Posts: 10,828 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would if I made more then the people who were facing the lay off but I don't. And I doubt they would for me anyway.
  • Options
    kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends on why they are being let go.
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    We all took a 20% paycut for 6 months to prevent layoffs in 1988. I did it then, and might do it again as long as the terms were well defined.

After 6 months, they returned us to full pay and ended up giving us a heck of a raise and benifit contribution a year later.
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Everybody where I work did. Not to prevent layoffs though. It was to help the company survive this economic cesspool.
    I don't mind tellin' ya, $320 a month hurts.
  • Options
    texaswildmantexaswildman Member Posts: 2,215 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've done it twice - it was across the board and included both salary and hourly in an equal percentage. My salary was cut 10% both times... Got raises in about 2 and a half years (4%). Takes about 5 -6 years to get back to where you were....
  • Options
    edgecamedgecam Member Posts: 3,280
    edited November -1
    I have not had a raise in 3 years so we can keep a couple guys working. Does that count?
  • Options
    fastcarsgofastfastcarsgofast Member Posts: 7,179
    edited November -1
    I already have.
  • Options
    acdoddacdodd Member Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Where I work they laid off 14 people and then everyone took a 4.5% pay cut so they didn't have to lay off more.
    Nobody was asked so what we would have done made no difference.
  • Options
    saserbysaserby Member Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A couple years ago my company gave everyone a 5% cut to keep from laying off people. I was happy to do that rather than see people lose jobs. They gave it back to us about a 2 years later.
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had 5 weeks off back in 2008, the wife also had 3 weeks off. The rest of the company had several weeks off, plus layoffs. It paid off last year when bonuses were very very good.
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A few years back nobody in the company got a merit increase.

About 50,000 of us. Around 750 got laid off when their program got killed. I would say the company strategy at that time was prudent. Some guys also jumped ship after not getting a 2-4% pay raise for a single year.

If they asked again I would probably start to worry.
  • Options
    thorhammerthorhammer Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When your at the bottom of seniority and the top guys say no way to a pay cut....you really loath them.

I'm at the top now and change is coming in one year to avoid losses.

I'll be tough and I don't want to make that decision.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dheffley
    We all took a 20% paycut for 6 months to prevent layoffs in 1988. I did it then, and might do it again as long as the terms were well defined.

After 6 months, they returned us to full pay and ended up giving us a heck of a raise and benifit contribution a year later.

it's not 1988 anymore [V]
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not any more, they waste more money they waste enough money to never have any lay-offs.
    A prime example is that they are putting GPS's with four way camera's in all of our work vehicles some 900 of them at $1,200 a piece.
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by edgecam
    I have not had a raise in 3 years so we can keep a couple guys working. Does that count?

Yes.

So long as the numbers are 'out there' for all to see. If not, it's just another management angle to keep the workforce from getting a raise.

The 'keep others working' line is too easily used by management, if truth be known. Joe
  • Options
    hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
    edited November -1
    Yes i would and i'm in a union. Now that being said the union would not do the same. Alot of the union members would want to but they would find a way. It was about 3 years ago that the company started doing shut downs. ( around 1 week a month ) and this went on for awhile. Its was the company's way of not having to lay anyone off. The union board members started bitching about how they needed there full months pay and this week shut down ( witch most of the time was really only one week every other month) just would not due. They ended up laying off half of the plant members indefinelty. Only reason we got are jobs back was they decided to close one of there other plants and move everything back here.
  • Options
    1FMJ1FMJ Member Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    At my place of work,we took a 50% pay cut and the CEO took it for himself.<1FMJ>
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by edgecam

Going on year 5 without a raise, and cut back in OT. My pay peaked about 7 years ago and has steadily gone down with each year. So I know that pain brother. I am grateful to have a decent job though, even if the benefits get more expensive every year.

Three years ago I was making $4K more a year than my wife, she's now past me because she's gotten raises. I'm glad she's getting raises!
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1fan
    quote:Originally posted by dheffley

it's not 1988 anymore [V]

True, but a 20% cut hurt like hell as much back then as it would now, and it was money out of my families pockets. If we had not of had a good savings account, we would have had to make some uncomfortable adjustments. A friend of mine lost his house because he had no savings and couldn't sell it because the market was depressed.

It was a tough time for all and I wouldn't want to experience it again.
  • Options
    nutfinnnutfinn Member Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I took early retirement last September so that a few subordinate LEO's could keep their jobs.

Trinity +++
  • Options
    ForkliftkingForkliftking Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hell, there are weeks I make nothing but I still pay my employees. If we run low on work, I offer them to wash my truck just to keep them busy but I always offer them work to do for pay.
  • Options
    topdadtopdad Member Posts: 3,408 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Our evil union local took a pay cut to keep newbies from getting
    the axe(or so the good company said) and a month later they got laid off anyway. They did say sorry, thats just buisness.
  • Options
    LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    NOT unless they put it in writing that the cuts will be across the board and include EVERYONE from the top down.

Also in the print would include something to the effect that the company must provide proof as to where the savings from the wages are going. Why would that be included? You take 1000 employees taking a dollar an hour cut. That would be $40,000 a week (based on an 8 hour day five days a week job) going somewhere.

And it sure as hell best not be going to buy the top pickle dick a new BMW or the stock holders a new club house on the lake.
  • Options
    jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The last couple years before I retired with the state we had several furloughed days off. I will probably pay for that the rest of my life as they base your retirement on your pay and those days off were costly, as I was making pretty good money for a state worker.
  • Options
    bhale187bhale187 Member Posts: 7,798
    edited November -1
    Yes, I have done so about a half dozen times in the last 9 years working for the state. We've been given the option (by majority vote) to take unpaid furlough days in order to avoid layoffs. While it is a day off, it is also a reduction in salary.

I couldn't, in good conscious, refuse to take a hit of a couple thousand dollars knowing that it was going to cause someone to lose their entire income.