In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Photos of the West Texas Desert

Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
edited May 2009 in General Discussion

Comments

• Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,719 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice pictures. Where at in West Texas?
    What's next?
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    Biggest Dust Devil I have ever seen

007.jpg
    008.jpg
    009.jpg
    010.jpg
  • pietro75pietro75 Member Posts: 7,048
    edited November -1
    Very nice. That sky shot is amazing I can only imagine what that is like in real life. Thanks for the photos.
  • KodiakkKodiakk Member Posts: 5,582
    edited November -1
    My Lord is that a rig actually working and not stacked?!?! That's becoming a rarity.[:(]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pietro75
    Very nice. That sky shot is amazing I can only imagine what that is like in real life. Thanks for the photos.

Can't sleep. Figured I would share some of my VERY amateur photography I have snapped while working out in the patch.
  • footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    86-Any of those shots close to Stratford-Amarillo-Plainview[?][?]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by footlong
    86-Any of those shots close to Stratford-Amarillo-Plainview[?][?]

Further west...South of Jal New Mexico. 3-4 miles into Texas.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Kodiakk
    My Lord is that a rig actually working and not stacked?!?! That's becoming a rarity.[:(]

It was. That is the flagship rig for a certain drilling company out here. Super High Tech M class Rig. It stacked out last week. Puts their rig count at 1 in West Texas. That is not much for the worlds largest Drilling contractor.
  • zinkzink Member Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You ever make it further ito NM? I am from Ruidoso.

Lance
  • Ox190Ox190 Member Posts: 2,782 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Zink I think everybody from Odessa has been to Ruidoso a time or two. We used to stay at a bed and breakfast up there called Kearney's. It was owned by some people from Odessa. The husband, Ed, made the best green chile chowder I've ever eaten. His wife Etta made the best homemade from scratch biscuits you've ever eaten. Every summer when we'd go up there I'd ride go carts at that little place there in town with the figure 8 track and the putt putt course.
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Is that Gus and Woodrow down there watering their mounts ??

Doug
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,717 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    did that peel the paint off the dodge?????? great pics thanks
  • texaswildmantexaswildman Member Posts: 2,215 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Somebody once asked me what i missed most about South Texas - i told them great dove hunting, cooking with mesquite heartwood and the sunsets....

thanks for sunset photo. The Patch is going to get worse - hang on.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by zink

Lance

That area in the Jal/Hobbs/Carlsbad triangle is a huge oil patch. I am an oilman. Believe it or not, I have never been to Ruidoso. Sent my wife there a few times. Unfortunatly she returned.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by texaswildman
    Somebody once asked me what i missed most about South Texas - i told them great dove hunting, cooking with mesquite heartwood and the sunsets....

thanks for sunset photo. The Patch is going to get worse - hang on.

Actually the patch has bottomed out. It will start recovering withing the next couple of months.
  • zinkzink Member Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Survivalist86

Lance

That area in the Jal/Hobbs/Carlsbad triangle is a huge oil patch. I am an oilman. Believe it or not, I have never been to Ruidoso. Sent my wife there a few times. Unfortunatly she returned.

Drove for Halliburton out of the Roswell camp in the 80's. Head up there some day (ruidoso), you will like it.

Lance
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 48,464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Was just recently thinking i need to make a trip to the Desert of California. The High Desert March early April the valleys turn Orange and Purple. Used to go see it as a kid. have not been back in years think its time to do so again. But have to wait for next year now.

They even have a Web site to track the Poppies.

poppypoles-c.jpg
  • burdz19burdz19 Member Posts: 4,145
    edited November -1
    [img]http://usera.ImageCave.com/burdz19/Shop Pics 002.jpg[/img]

Them big pulleys there on that Nabors drilling rig........ I made them, get oil back up to $75 we are all in business again

b
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by burdz19
    [img]http://usera.ImageCave.com/burdz19/Shop Pics 002.jpg[/img]

Them big pulleys there on that Nabors drilling rig........ I made them, get oil back up to $75 we are all in business again

b

Ah..so you build the pulleys for the drawworks eh? Cool. Oil up to almost $60.00
  • MaaloxMaalox Member Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great pics thanks. I used to work for KBR in Houston.
    Regards, MAALOX
    edited November -1
    [br\] The Patch is going to get worse - hang on.

You think? I think it's on the upswing now. None to soon also, because they are talking about cutting hours to 40.
    edited November -1

You think? I think it's on the upswing now. None to soon also, because they are talking about cutting hours to 40.

It is on the rebound. Got laid off around the low of $39.00. It is up to almost 60. Another 8-10 and a stabilization will prompt drilling again.
  • burdz19burdz19 Member Posts: 4,145
    edited November -1
    Nabors, Lewco, Bulldog, etc..... not sure about drawworks that doesn't ring a bell. The pulley behind me is for M & M Mars 72" dia for one of their mixers.

b
    edited November -1

It is on the rebound. Got laid off around the low of $39.00. It is up to almost 60. Another 8-10 and a stabilization will prompt drilling again.

I'm lucky. I work for a smaller but still worldwide oilfield company that planned ahead and didn't lay anyone off yet. They did use this time to get rid of some folks that were begging to be fire though. I hope your work comes back real quick and sorry to hear about the layoff, but such is the beast in the oilfield. I always make sure to warn them greenhands to save money for a rainy day because the oilfield is worse then a rollcoaster with its ups and downs. Bad thing is most worms coming in don't have enough sense to heed the warning.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,509 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Beautiful photos.
    That is the opposite end of the earth from where I live, here in the rainy North Carolina mountains.
    I would like to be out there in the desert at night to look at the stars.
  • whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Beauty is where you see it, 86. Great photos. Thank you.

Clouder..
  • MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1

Lance

Drove for Halliburton out of the Roswell camp in the 80's. Head up there some day (ruidoso), you will like it.

Lance

I drove a nitrogen truck for Halliburton back in the 80s also. I was up in Indiana Pa. Then all the drilling up there stopped and everyone was layed off.

Man those pics of Texas makes me want to break out the 300 H&H and do some 1000 yard shooting. All that wide open space. I live in SC now and hardly able to shoot 300 yards on my property. And I can shoot 300 yards only because I cut down trees to clear a way. A thousand yards out there would be no problem at all.
    edited November -1

I'm lucky. I work for a smaller but still worldwide oilfield company that planned ahead and didn't lay anyone off yet. They did use this time to get rid of some folks that were begging to be fire though. I hope your work comes back real quick and sorry to hear about the layoff, but such is the beast in the oilfield. I always make sure to warn them greenhands to save money for a rainy day because the oilfield is worse then a rollcoaster with its ups and downs. Bad thing is most worms coming in don't have enough sense to heed the warning.

Oh, I have a lot of moola in the bank. No credit cards, no debt. I can live a long time. The worms never listen. Most of their money goes down the toilet on Saturday night.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MMOMEQ-55

Lance

Lance

I drove a nitrogen truck for Halliburton back in the 80s also. I was up in Indiana Pa. Then all the drilling up there stopped and everyone was layed off.

Man those pics of Texas makes me want to break out the 300 H&H and do some 1000 yard shooting. All that wide open space. I live in SC now and hardly able to shoot 300 yards on my property. And I can shoot 300 yards only because I cut down trees to clear a way. A thousand yards out there would be no problem at all.

I used to have a 7.5 x 55 Swiss Schmidt Ruben for that...until my safe was struck by lightening...and melted into *.

h-effect030.jpg
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by burdz19
    Nabors, Lewco, Bulldog, etc..... not sure about drawworks that doesn't ring a bell. The pulley behind me is for M & M Mars 72" dia for one of their mixers.

b

Our Nabors rigs out here are all M or F class rigs. All computer controlled these days.
    edited November -1

Oh, I have a lot of moola in the bank. No credit cards, no debt. I can live a long time. The worms never listen. Most of their money goes down the toilet on Saturday night.

Sorry to say, but I was guilty of the same thing. [:D] Come back from being offshore for 2 weeks and knew I only had a day or two before I had to head back out. I single handly probally put a good 10 to 20 strippers through college before my wife hooked me.[:I]
    edited November -1

Sorry to say, but I was guilty of the same thing. [:D] Come back from being offshore for 2 weeks and knew I only had a day or two before I had to head back out. I single handly probally put a good 10 to 20 strippers through college before my wife hooked me.[:I]

All the boys that worked for me had some real bad...expensive habits. Dope, women, cars, or drinking. I tried to convince them otherwise...but Kids never listen. Saw one of them working at McDonalds the other day. [:D] He said he wished he had listened to me!!!
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,613 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Talked to a few Oil Men when I was in Houston. Sounds like a better job than this one. At least they get to go home more often.
    Don't think they have my job off shore though.
  • tomahawktomahawk Member Posts: 11,826
    edited November -1
    never understood how anyone could want to live in that barren dustbowl..why it won;t even grow a stand of grass[;)][V]
  • texaswildmantexaswildman Member Posts: 2,215 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tomahawk
    never understood how anyone could want to live in that barren dustbowl..why it won;t even grow a stand of grass[;)][V]

Beauty is in the eyes of the beerholder.....

I love west and south Texas