In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Is my rifle rare?

TopkickTopkick Member Posts: 4,452 ✭✭
edited May 2015 in General Discussion
I bought a Winchester Model 70 Lightweight back in 1988, in .270.
It has the Wintuff laminated stock and if I recall correctly, it weight 6.75# empty.

Sorry for the old pic...

I have yet to find another, in the same caliber and Lightweight designation.

Has anyone ever seen one, own one, or?

Would anyone be willing to estimate it's value?

It currently has 86 rounds down the pipe-(I'm a reloader, so I keep records) and I've taken over 30 deer and a few hogs with it. It has a nice trigger job, free floated, and shoots VERY well.

Currently, I have a Burris Fullfield II 3X9 on it. The stock is nearly perfect and no rust. I have the box it came in.

I have $300 in her, and turned down $1,300 for it with the scope.

[img][/img]Winchester003.jpg

Comments

• Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks medium-well to me.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by guntech59
    Looks medium-well to me.

Ha Ha![:D]

I hope this will be a fun discussion.
    I brought it up here 5 years ago and still no one has found another.
    I can't believe it.
    I think they only produced these in '88 and early '89.
  • Options
    jev1969jev1969 Member Posts: 2,691
    edited November -1
    I don't have the expertise to answer your question but I can say that a laser, flashlight and some black spray paint will make it rare AND tactical. [8D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jev1969
    I don't have the expertise to answer your question but I can say that a laser, flashlight and some black spray paint will make it rare AND tactical. [8D]

We only do that to our AR's and lever actions.
    [;)]
  • Options
    cranky2cranky2 Member Posts: 3,236 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If your selling list it as super rear. No one else has one.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As hens teeth. [:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have never seen a laminate stock that was lightweight. How did they do that?[:)]
  • Options
    jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,218 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would say by 2120 that rifle will bring a premium if you kept the box.
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,198 ******
    edited November -1
    I can't believe no one has mentioned it is too light for shooting hogs. [:D]
    Not sure on the worth but, I think it is a very nice looking rifle.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Member Posts: 8,471
    edited November -1
    Take a look in the Blue Book!!

Model 70 Lightweight Rifle Win-Tuff stock.
    possible Carbine?

$190 to $500 ?????
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ""I have $300 in her, and turned down $1,300 for it with the scope.""

Value is relative.

Could or would you get a replacement for it with the $1300?

I have a marlin model 60 that I will not sell for $600!!

It's worth more to me because of emotional reasons.

I have sold $800 shotguns for $500, because they didn't "fit" me, and I couldn't hit anything with them.
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    I have never seen a laminate stock that was lightweight. How did they do that?[:)]
    MPI makes one...
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    well to you IT IS WORTH MORE THAN $1300.00 TO ANYONE ELSE WE WILL NEVER KNOW UNTIL THEY OFFER A PRICE that you will sell it to them .
    I for one would only be willing to PAY about 1/2 of what you turned down WORTH is only when a buyer and seller agree on a price and an item changes ownership
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,371 ******
    edited November -1
    It might be tactical. Not sure about rare.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just to be sure, I'm not selling it. I'm just curious of the value and is it considered a rare option for a Win Model 70.

I'll be passing it down to my oldest son some day.

It's certainly not tactical at all.
    It's a straight up deer rifle.

I would place a value of it in the $575 range at best, but to me it's priceless and won't be sold.

I have searched since I had internet for another. None so far, thus the rarity question.
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    If it were mine I would have taken the $1300 and found another rifle. But that's me. Rare does not always mean its worth more. My 2 cents.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, it's been a fun day!
    I must have a rare rifle. LOL!

I'll keep looking around for another.

I'm moving my folks this weekend, and about to start.
    Enjoyed it ya'll!

[:D]
  • Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey Chief, there are people that really think a 270 is not enough gun for hogs?? Wow. Just wow.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I laughed. The .270 is more than enough for hogs. A few of mine went 300# on an actual hanging scale.
    I'm sure he was joking. [^]
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,687 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dreher
    Hey Chief, there are people that really think a 270 is not enough gun for hogs?? Wow. Just wow.

There's quite a number of elk that would disagree with that. Every one I ever shot with my .270 was a one shot kill. LOVE that round! Nice lookin' rifle, Topkick.
  • Options
    LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rare rifle?? No
    Worth a lot?? Not really.

A "Push feed" Lightweight Win-Tuff Model 70 from the 80's may be worth $500 to $600 tops. Add $100 to $150 for the scope and you have a $750 rifle. If it had a Mauser "claw extractor" bolt the price would be higher.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LesWVa
    Rare rifle?? No

A "Push feed" Lightweight Win-Tuff Model 70 from the 80's may be worth $500 to $600 tops. Add $100 to $150 for the scope and you have a $750 rifle. If it had a Mauser "claw extractor" bolt the price would be higher.

Just for fun, show me another for sale.

And I'm not arguing your estimate at all.
  • Options
    shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a the exact same gun for sale in the store for in a 7mm rem mag. I usually have between 1700-2000 fund for sale in the store at any given moment and don't see them often but I wouldn't say they are rare, they were made for a few years and are nice looking guns.

Here is one that was relisted a bunch of times with a $750 BIN:
    http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=470855398

Here is one that sold, the buyer got a fair price on it evidently.
    http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=478038433

My opinion would be to call the guy that offered you $1300 and buy two of them with money left over[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Topkick
    Rare rifle?? No

See my above post, seriously, find the guy that offered you $1300. You should be able to end up with two of these topped with the same Burris Fullfield scopes.
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,198 ******
    edited November -1
    I laughed. The .270 is more than enough for hogs. A few of mine went 300# on an actual hanging scale.
    I'm sure he was joking. [^]

Twas a joke. Hence the smiley face.
    Just pointing out that when you ask a question here, you most often get an answer to a question that you did not ask. [:D]
  • Options
    FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since the rifle's (perceived) worth has been (re)established ... [:p]

What comes out of a .270 (and it's variants) is relative due in part on set-ups; I have a .270 Win that I turned into an AI (http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=570860&SearchTerms=my,budget,.270,AI). My current accuracy loads (WW brass, BR2, 175 Matrix VLD, H4831SC) in .270 Win (pre-fireformed) is 2919 FPS and AI is 2993 FPS (I've loaded near 3100 FPS but was too hot and group opened up)out of a 30" 1:8, 3-groove Lilja barrel.

P3031670_zps133ec313.jpg
    (.270 Win with 150g NBTs and .270 AI with 175 Matrix VLDs)

1116141048_zps31535348.jpg
    (topped with Burris Veracity 4-20x50 FFP, Burris signature zee rings with inserts, and Horus Vision ASLI on a 20 MOA EGW HD rail)

My AI is performing near my friend's factory 7MM Mag rifle with factory 180 HSM ammo. [:D][}:)][^]
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,803 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can mirror what some others do and put a starting bid of 5 times what the gun is worth and see if someone bites. Maybe listed for years however.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Rare rifle?? No

Just to be unbiased. Sold on another Gun Auction site.

WINCHESTER - Model 70 .270 Win 'Lightweight Win-Tuff'...Mint, Unfired...

Auction: 9942083
    AUCTION CLOSED
    WINNER: b*********t
    HIGH BID: $510.00

GB does not allow for anyone to link to competitor sites.
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    This is a rare rifle, and if the seller would simply answer my request for more photos of certain parts I would have bid by now.

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=479790145
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by GuvamintCheese
    This is a rare rifle, and if the seller would simply answer my request for more photos of certain parts I would have bid by now.

That one photo looks "suspicious" of the stock,,he definately needs more and better photos to sell it at that kind of scratch.
  • Options
    edited November -1

You want a .458 Win Mag?

Look into the Winchester African Big 5 set of Model 70's. If you can get all five that has the same sequence number and the set (serial numbers). You are looking at upwards to $25K for the set.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Crap photos...quote:Originally posted by LesWVa

You want a .458 Win Mag?

Look into the Winchester African Big 5 set of Model 70's. If you can get all five that has the same sequence number and the set (serial numbers). You are looking at upwards to $25K for the set.
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,803 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Crap photos and not answering questions has saved me a great deal of money here.
    Anyway, I can't help to think there are reasons for both aforementioned problems and end up feeling better by my avoidance.

There was one rifle I was interested in sometime back. The rifle was listed for well over a year and I tried to contact the seller more than once, to no avail. Things worked out as I found a more motivated seller and a better deal.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just checked on the one we have here in the store, it is actually a .270, the same as the one you have. It is in excellent condition but has kind of a cheap older scope on it. I have it marked $575.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by FEENIX

What comes out of a .270 (and it's variants) is relative due in part on set-ups; I have a .270 Win that I turned into an AI (http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=570860&SearchTerms=my,budget,.270,AI). My current accuracy loads (WW brass, BR2, 175 Matrix VLD, H4831SC) in .270 Win (pre-fireformed) is 2919 FPS and AI is 2993 FPS (I've loaded near 3100 FPS but was too hot and group opened up)out of a 30" 1:8, 3-groove Lilja barrel.

P3031670_zps133ec313.jpg

(topped with Burris Veracity 4-20x50 FFP, Burris signature zee rings with inserts, and Horus Vision ASLI on a 20 MOA EGW HD rail)

My AI is performing near my friend's factory 7MM Mag rifle with factory 180 HSM ammo. [:D][}:)][^]

I think you are too high for pigs dude.
  • Options
    texaswildmantexaswildman Member Posts: 2,215 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hhjquote:Originally posted by He Dog
    quote:Originally posted by FEENIX

P3031670_zps133ec313.jpg

I think you are too high for pigs dude.

But it is a long range rifle..... And down hill..... [:D]
  • Options
    FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Indeed I am too high for pigs. The only pigs we have around here are the ones that belong to the farmers or Hutterites Colonies. [:p]
  • Options
    texaswildmantexaswildman Member Posts: 2,215 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    TK - I don't know about rare, but those kind of things never really mattered to me. I have a 66 model 70 in 30-06, that I wouldn't take $5K for. And yes I have been offered that. Also been offered a custom $4K rifle for trade. It has a 2 lb trigger as an upgrade and is worth about $300 to most. Yes, I thought both guys were nuts. Point is, I can cover 5 rounds at 100 yds with a quarter and anyone else I let shoot it could too. My buddies nicknamed it "Death"....