In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ruger P-95 question

idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
edited May 2002 in General Discussion
I purchased a Ruger P-95 w/decocker within the last few months. I wanted an inexpensive semi-auto to bang out 9mm ammo. I took it to the range and put about 500 rounds through it on Saturday to celebrate my birthday. I had 100 rounds of cheap CCI Blazer ammo that my gun ate up happily. Then I ran 50 rounds of Winchester Silvertips through it without a single hangup. Then I pulled out 350 rounds of NATO-headstamped ammo that I purchased from a local sporting goods store for about $5.00/box. This ammunition also functioned flawlessly in my gun with one exception. I'd empty a magazine, drop it, insert a loaded magazine and hit the slide release. The slide would move forward very slowly. I could look down and watch it slowly push the round up the feed ramp and into the chamber. This didn't happen with the CCI ammo. The gun was properly lubricated prior to firing and the ammo seemed to be of good quality with the exception of one that had a smushed primer. After this occurred over and over again with this ammunition I began doing something differently. Instead of hitting the slide release, I pulled back on the rear of the slide. The slide snapped forward at its normal velocity and chambered the first round without a problem.

What seems to be the problem with my gun? Is it the gun or the ammo? I purchased almost 1000 rounds of this ammo last summer when it was on sale. I ran 500 rounds of it through a Hi-Power clone and a Kel-Tec P-11 this past winter. It caused other problems with those guns. Is it the ammo? Is it the gun? I guess I'm going to have to buy a whole lot more ammo and do quite a bit more shooting in order to figure it all out. Ain't that a shame?

P.S. I'm LOVIN' this gun!

SSG idsman75, U.S. ARMY

Edited by - idsman75 on 05/30/2002 23:43:05

Comments

• Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd bet the CCI Blazer and Winchester silvertip had 115 grain bullets; the NATO stamped is probably loaded with 124 grain ball--the "contact points" on the bullet during feeding is different between the ammo. A little stronger friction point is occuring with the NATO causing the slow feed.
  • Options
    simonbssimonbs Member Posts: 994
    edited November -1
    My P89 does this after firing 100 - 150 rounds. It just needs to be disassembled and wiped down/reoiled. Only takes about three minutes.

I don't think it is the ammo. I bet if you shot the cheap stuff first, it would funtion fine for the first two or three boxes and then start that slow-mo thing again.
    I'm not afraid of the dark...the dark is afraid of me!

Edited by - simonbs on 05/31/2002 10:16:47

Edited by - simonbs on 05/31/2002 10:18:49