In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

See if this makes sense...

RedlegRedleg Member Posts: 417 ✭✭✭
edited April 2002 in General Discussion
1) I am on active duty in the Army.

2) Everybody (well, mostly everybody) in the U.S. pays taxes.

3) Taxes pay my salary.

4) I pay taxes on my salary.

Question: If the government collects taxes, and from that pool of taxes pays my salary, why don't they just "keep" the taxes I will end up owing at the end of the year? Saves me money and them manpower.

BTW, I ABSOLUTELY HATE TAX SEASON!!!

Brian

Comments

• Options
    MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Brian,
    I used to question that logic when I was in the USAF. Then a co-worker made a point of saying how he got back so much because he had kids....more than he paid, I think it was. :(

Sickens me that single people/childless couples subsidize other people's children.

Hey, *I* don't want kids.....why should I have to pay for THEIRS? Bad enough I have to deal with the screaming brats in public....heheh.

How does that go? Stir, stir, stir. :)

Merc-Childfree and Proud!

If you can't feed'em, don't breed'em!

NO! You may not have my guns! Now go crawl back into your hole!
  • Options
    Gordian BladeGordian Blade Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's a great question. The short answer is our highly nonlinear (bureaucrats call it "progressive") income tax system, where if you make an extra dollar, that is taxed at a higher rate than your first dollar and also higher than the average for all your dollars. Since they don't know if you have additional income from other sources, you have to go through the same accounting process as we civilians do. Personally, I think they should just take out 15% and do away with returns for everyone except the self-employed, and that would be a 3-line return (total income minus expenses = profit or loss), but that would be too easy and it wouldn't allow the bureaucrats to micromanage our lives.

You think you hate tax season? My wife and I are both self-employed (but different businesses) so we have to file 1 return for each business, plus a joint return, plus one for each of our kids, times two for federal and state, for a total of 12 tax returns each April. No wait, I forgot, my wife has a second small business that files state and federal tax returns. That's 14 total.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    15% is more than they need 7% would more than cover there needs welfare is not a need IMHO

Some guys like a mag full of lead, I prefer one round to the head.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actually, if everyone including the corporations paid 10% with no loopholes or deductions, that would do it. It is not the welfare (which is actually mostly old age benefits, not ADC), it is the Corps. not paying taxes that kills the rest of us.
  • Options
    niklasalniklasal Member Posts: 776 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another sick thing about taxes is when you win a prize, such as the lottery.

The lottery itself is a voluntary poor tax. The government collects the money and only a small portion of that which they collect goes to the grand prize.

No matter who wins, they take ANOTHER 50% of that money. There is some technical term for this... What is it? Oh i remember now...

ROBBERY

NIKLASAL@hotmail.com
  • Options
    COONASSCOONASS Member Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    REDLEG you answered your own question.......the answer
    is the third word in your question...........................................................................................................................................................GOVERNMENT.....................................

• Options
    simonbssimonbs Member Posts: 994
    edited November -1
    You're wrong Nik...Its Fraud.

Damn, *, you made the thread wwwiiiiiiiiide

We only have a few special years with our children in which they desire our time, attention, and love. After that time is over, it is gone forever, and we will be the ones that desire their time, attention, and love. Make those few, short years count -