In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Could you make it?

TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
edited March 2002 in General Discussion
This is the eighth-grade final exam from 1895 from Salina, Kansas. USA. It was taken from the original document on file at the Smoky Valley Genealogical Society and Library in Salina, Kansas and reprinted by the Salina Journal.8th Grade Final Exam: Salina, KS - 1895
Grammar (Time, one hour)1. Give nine rules for the use of Capital Letters.2. Name the Parts of Speech and define those that have no modifications.3. Define Verse, Stanza and Paragraph.Orthography (Time, one hour)1. What is meant by the following: alphabet, phonetic, orthography, etymology, syllabication?2. What are elementary sounds? How classified?3. What are the following, and give examples of each: trigraph, subvocals, diphthong, cognate letters, linguals?

Comments

• Options
    LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    I saw some women at the beach wearing those diphthongs.OOOOHHHHH BAAAABYYYYYY!!!!!!
    Lord Lowrider the LoquaciousMember:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets She was only a fisherman's daughter,But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • Options
    j2k22j2k22 Member Posts: 329 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    which led to the linguals!
  • Options
    old single shotsold single shots Member Posts: 3,594
    edited November -1
    Diphthongs huh? I always thought they were just called taint covers.Anyway,now i can't wait for warm weather to get here.
  • Options
    varmit huntervarmit hunter Member Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OOOOHHHH BAAAABYYYYYYY. Must be a subvocal.
    A unarmed man is a subject.A armed man is a citizen.[This message has been edited by varmit hunter (edited 03-05-2002).]
  • Options
    old single shotsold single shots Member Posts: 3,594
    edited November -1
    If i had gone to school in Salina,Kansas in 1895 i would still be there today trying to pass that final exam.
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Of course, our educational institutions have improved w/ the passing of 110 years, as has the public vernacular. NOT!!!!!!! They weren't teaching that level of grammar even 40+ years ago.
  • Options
    O'ReillyO'Reilly Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am a Air force Military Brat, Army Vet and went to 2nd and 3rd grades in Salina, you cannot imagine what I do know for a living and did it all without having to graduate from there. Lucky to get out I guess!!!
  • Options
    Gordian BladeGordian Blade Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This points up an interesting feature of education 100 years ago: It was centered around memorization of definitions rather than using general concepts to solve specific problems.Translation: I don't think I could pass that test either.
  • Options
    travelortravelor Member Posts: 442 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thats how I became a cunning linguist
    keep lots of extra uppers for your ar..you can change often enough to keep the thing from over heating...what ever caliber fits the moment..~Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Options
    Gordian BladeGordian Blade Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ... and a Master Debater.
  • Options
    concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you guys Tom Lykes fans? Those are his lines!(Cunning Linguist and Master Debator).I think he's got a good radio program. It's on locally from 7-10 p.m. I think he's out of LA, though.
    Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT Criminals
  • Options
    Ms. BeastMs. Beast Member Posts: 496 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ummmmmm......what? Do I have a week or so to take the test, can I use my computer?
  • Options
    simonbssimonbs Member Posts: 994
    edited November -1
    Whiteclouder, can you help us out here? I'd like to know what some of that is without spending hours looking for it. Thanks.