In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

"Beat em Up" guns

idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
edited December 2001 in General Discussion
Does anyone here own a few guns just for functionality but that were inexpensive and were purchased primarily because they could be dragged through hell and back without worry of cosmetic flaws caused by abuse? I have a couple that fit that description. I own a Mossberg 835 and a Remington 597 and both serve their purposes for which I purchased them but I don't "baby" them like I do a few other guns that I own. BTW, if you had a cheap .22 (like a Remington 597) that was primarily used for plinking and small-game hunting, what kind of scope would you throw on it? Many threads in the past have raised the question with regards to high-end rifles and the scopes that should be used to complete them. How about suggestions on a cheap scope for a cheap gun?

Comments

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,960 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got a Bushnell rimfire scope, I picked up from Cabela's for $45. Works just fine for my old model 30 from Sears.
  • Options
    robsgunsrobsguns Member Posts: 4,581 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just sold my real beat it up gun, Win. 94 in 30 30. It had no finish left on the stock, but no scratches or nicks, and I reblued the receiver myself, cold blueing, looked better than the rust. Now I guess my beater gun is actually my prize gun, Ruger with a synthetic stock, you just cant hurt a stainless steel synthetic stocked gun, just watch the scope.
    SSgt Ryan E. Roberts, USMC
  • Options
    Mr. LoboMr. Lobo Member Posts: 538 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use and maintain all my guns. I found that the special keepers got in worse shape if I didn't use them than if I did. I do however have a 12 guage Winchester I picked up for $50 and a Winchester Mdl 94 30-30 that I got for $75 that would fall into the toss it in the back of the old truck kinda gun.
  • Options
    7mm_ultra_mag_is_king7mm_ultra_mag_is_king Member Posts: 676 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a marlin 880 sq that is an excellent beater gun. paid $135 for it and put a $200 nikon 3-9 on it. The gun lives in my pickup and looks like crap but shoots well. I also have a mossberg 500(worn out) that is used for bunny warfare in heavy briars and my trusty 'ol rem 760 gameblaster in '06 that has been beat, dropped, dunked even run over with a pickup and still outshoots even my $1500 custom 7mm. Best dang beat up club I ever invested in. Only problem wit it is it will kill even the best tasco scopes, cant keep scopes on it.
    when all else fails........................
  • Options
    SXSMANSXSMAN Member Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Benelli Nova camo,not a beater but not afraid to take out in a down pour.A 10-22 that I'm not afraid to drag through the woods .
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,960 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    7mm try something other than Tasco.
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mossberg 500, Russian SKS & CZ-52 pistol ... all cheap-beaters when I bought them. Even though I maintain them like everything else, I don't worry when I throw them in the back of the truck, all look like crap but function perfectly.
    GUN CONTROL: If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    Matt45Matt45 Member Posts: 3,185
    edited November -1
    All of the guns I own are tools and I basically treat them as such. I use them when and where appropriate, and when I am done they are cleaned/wiped down and stored in my safe. If I were to say I have a "beater" it would be my folding stocked Mossy 590, it stays underneath the back seat of my P/U truck and is taken out occasionaly at the range, once during hunting season. (I was driving along a logging road headed to deer camp, saw a few quail and didn't have my Dbl Bbl., I still had #6's in the truck and was close enough that the open choke issue was nil.)
    Reserving my Right to Arm Bears!!!!
  • Options
    Mark IIMark II Member Posts: 247 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like Matt45, I maintain all of my firearms to the best of my ability. However, there are two that I have no fear of them getting beat-up and that I have available most of the time: Mossberg 500 w/synthetic stock, and Glock 23C.
    "To meet with ill fortune is to meet with good fortune. To meet with submission is to meet an enemy."Mark_II@gunbroker.zzn.com
  • Options
    jetjet Member Posts: 543 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    most of mine are like that,30-30 12ga 22lr.they're woods guns.even if bought new, after a few days in the brush and rain they'd be beat. so thats the way I bought them.The only exception is defensive guns the are the best i can afford.
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have a Carcano & three Nagants I picked up for $30 (as a pkg deal, not each) in the old days. Ugly looking things, all chopped & sporterized, but plenty good enough to get dinged up behind the seats & do the job inside of 50 yds.
  • Options
    arthur wellingarthur welling Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Marlin .22 with a nicely refinished stock, and a Rossi 12 double. Either one will be pushing briers out of my way when I go bunny hunting. They get all the care they need, but they get USED when I am out hunting.Scope: The marlin has a Simmons 6x on it.The cheap scopes do fine as long as you stick with NON variable scopes. Once you throw in the mechanism for a variable scope things get hairy on the cheap stuff.
  • Options
    .250Savage.250Savage Member Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got a cop trade-in S&W 66 .357 and a 98 Mauser carbine in .30-'06 that ride in the truck.
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    arthur welling -- I learned that lesson with a Simmons Whitetail Classic in 3-9X40 which I put on my first bolt-rifle (Remington 700 in .30-06). I was so annoyed that the point of impact was changing drastically with changes in the magnification of the scope.
  • Options
    gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    I purchased an FR 8 about 2 years ago for $99.00. It is the best .308 for the bush I ever owned. I still have it today. I dont mind taking it any where. One tough rifle.
  • Options
    simonbssimonbs Member Posts: 994
    edited November -1
    Ruger P89. Paid 250 for it brand new. Its not brand new anymore, but it is clean. It could use a finish job, a new guide rod, and spring though.