In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Selling a gun

1022man1022man Member Posts: 512 ✭✭✭
edited March 2004 in General Discussion
When ever I sell a gun I always have the person sign, + driver license #, a paper stating that I sold them so and so gun SN#'s so and so. Here lately the past three I've sold at gun shows, I've had problems with. Actually had one guy cuss at me for not selling the gun. I'm not wrong am I? I'd be willing to gve the same info for one. And I figured if they're aren't willing, then there's a reason for it.

Comments

• RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are asking for their SSN which is (In Indiana at least) on there then I don't blame them. There is no way in hell I would give that out.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    DL# = OK
    SSN = no way.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What you're wanting is a "receipt" and you're the seller--normally the buyer is the one with more potential usage for a receipt (in case someone questions his ownership rights to the gun, he has the receipt showing he purchased it from you).

As long as you are willing to give the same to the buyer, I see nothing wrong with you wanting basic identification information from the buyer. And since you're probably thinking of "liability" issues for yourself, you might want to have the person sign a statement on the "receipt" you keep, that says something to the effect, "I, Mr Smith, certify that I have no criminal record and there is nothing prohibiting me from owning firearms."

As for the "resistance" you get--it could be that you're dealing with people who can't pass a background check and are trying to purchase (illegally) from a private individual, but it's more likely that a lot of gun owners are "just suspicious" and "afraid" of all the records being kept on them--they get excited thinking they're going to be able to buy a gun (from you) that the government will never be able to know that they own, and now you want to make a paper trail! You're sort of going against the "etiquette" of gun show sales--of course to "cuss at you" for not wanting to complete the sale without a receipt is just bad manners.

I'd just say to people who resist, "Hey, a receipt protects you just as much, if not more, than it protects me; I can't risk the liability issues of selling without a receipt, sorry." Then let them go their merry "uninformed" way if they don't want to buy on your terms.
  • rmeyerrmeyer Member Posts: 566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks to me like sn=serial number not social security number.
  • punchiepunchie Member Posts: 2,792
    edited November -1
    The way I see it as long as you comply with the law; Your guns, Your rules.

Cartoon_truck.gif

AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY<P>
  • jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    Never sell any guns. just keep getting more safes.
    Look at ATF. When ever anyone mentions even an obscure model, he's pull out three variations.[:D][:D]

There are three guns I wish I didn't sell; just cause I wans't shooting them half the year means they gotta go!
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    If I stood in front of you with cash in hand and you asked me for that info I would move on and search out another seller. I wouldn't be rude about it, but I wouldn't give you the information either.
    This is just how I do things and it's worked so far (knock on wood).
    [:)]

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • john wjohn w Member Posts: 4,104
    edited November -1
    I sold an extra glock 19 at a gun show here in ohio to a guy who looked to be a great guy. About 6 weeks later i got a call from the batf and they wanted to know what the guy looked like (for their verification) that i sold the glock to. It seems this guy shopped the gun shows and was selling to minors and doing dirty dealings and the BATF sent in a minor and bought my glock from this guy. I had sent the gun into glock for some warranty work and they simply called glock for records and lo and behold i popped up in their files having sent it in for repair. The batf was decent about it but said for my own protection i had better be more careful in the future and document and transactions for any future problems. This was about 3 yrs ago and i have sold a few pistols and always ask and write down the info minus ssn and give him the same. I have had a few guys act like butt heads and told them to move on and thank you.

It's All Crapola!!!