In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

old case knifes question

beltfedbeltfed Member Posts: 690 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Hello Ya'll
I picked up some knives at a yard sale. One is a case doctors knife with what looks like cranberry bone handles. It is marked SR6185 and underneath is stamped SSP,on the other side of blade is stamped casexx underneath that is ....ss... with dots that are in the middle of SS. And USA underneath the ss. The ss looks a lot like lighting bolts. The knife looks like it has never been carried or sharpened. Also picked up a case duckunlimited 1992, marked DU104L FGSS. It is in the original sheath thier again never used or sharpened. It has beautifull wood handles with a gold duckunlimited logo. It also has a duck head had ducksunlimited on the blade. I would greatly appreicate any help on the valvue of the knives and when the doctors knife was made. Thankyou Beltfed

Comments

• n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    One Question then I will answer all the questions about the DRs knife,, Is the S in CASE a standard S or a Jagged "Lightning S" I guess I should have read it all, ok How many dots on the blade>?? start with 10 in 1980 and take off a year for every dot not there, IE 4 dots, would have been made in 1986 6 dots would be 84 and so on

animatflip.gif

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows.
    Hudson.gif
    900.gif
    edited November -1
    Also with case knives the serial number tells ya everything about the knife,, 1st number ===Handle material 2nd number === Number of blades,,3 4 and 5 and letters that are left are the style of knife, IE serpentine jack, whittler, peanut, coke bottle.

the 1st number in this case is 6 which denotes BONE , the 1 denotes one blade, and the 85 is the numbers for DRs knife. the SS denotes stainless steel and the SSP denotes Stainless steel Polished. That knife is worth about 40 bucks according to the knife collectors guide.

The DU for 1992 is worth around 60.00

animatflip.gif

Hudson.gif
    900.gif
  • jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    What Classic stated was great info. Another thing as to dots on case knives, dots over top USA=1980-1989 but dots under the USA=1970-1979. I collect Case knives that are in the 70s or below. When you stated never been sharpened, that is exactly what collectors want. If you plan on selling them or just want to collect them, keep them unsharpened.

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
    Rita Mae Brown
    edited November -1
    The lightning S is the giveaway that the knife was in the 80s 90s the fact there are dots put it in the 80s the 90s used the actual date on the blade IE 19USA93, in 2000 went to X0X0X0X0

OLDER case knives did not have numbers stamped on the blades so only way to date them was by the blade stamp IE CASE XX or CASE TESTED, Case BROS , older ones are harder to tell unless you have a book of their early stampings..

animatflip.gif

Hudson.gif
    900.gif
  • beltfedbeltfed Member Posts: 690 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thankyou for the help guys, I appericate it. Thankyou Beltfed