In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Drunk driving conviction

jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
If you are convicted in Tennessee of a drunk driving offense it looks like they are going to get pasted a law that the drunk driver will have a special license plate that is yellow and has red numbers on it.

I sure wouldn't want one of these and it would be embrassing to your family. Others states are thinking about doing the same thing.

Does anybody think this is a good ideal? I sure do, at least it will give you warning to watch out.

Comments

• ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think, that if you're convicted more than once you should NOT ! be allowed to drive (or own a car) at all.

[:(!] [V] [:(]

standard.jpg
    Limerick.gif
    It's my cat's world. I'm just here to open cans.

We got rid of the kids. The cat was allergic.

ATF,Eagle Guns
  • woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    Unconsbreastutional political grandstanding.
  • woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    Unconsbreastutional, I shouldn't try to type and watch tv at the same time.

I agree, after the second conviction, take away the keys. The problem is that taking away the license doesn't keep them off the road.
  • 925925 Member Posts: 441 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the scarlet letters,and numbers
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,717 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    atf has it right ....many times you see a drunk that has finally killed (as direct as using a gun to me) after many offenses, no drivers license, liberal judges ( he might be inconvenienced if he can't drive...poor baby)...individuals like this are no more in control of their actions than a pedophile so swift & permanent action must be taken for the protection of society..
  • RustyBonesRustyBones Member Posts: 4,956
    edited November -1
    great idea, dont do the crime if you cant take the punishment.
  • punchiepunchie Member Posts: 2,792
    edited November -1
    I actually like the idea but am afraid that some liberal judge would throw it out as 'profiling'.

AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY
  • kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So the old man get a ticket for DUI ... gets the yellow tag with red numbers ... everybody that drives that car gets looked as though they are guilty ... the wife, kids ect.

How long before something like that gets abused by LEO's as an excuse to pull someone over for "probable cause"

How long do they have to have the "special" tag ... what if the "guilty party" has more than 1 vehicle - such as the wife's car, the kids car ect ... do all the vehicles in the family that have the old mans name on the registration get the scarlet letter?

Would this be retroactive to include anyone that has ever had a DUI?

Lastly, how many $$$ do you think states can waste on this?

The cure is simple, since most people go their whole life without a DUI this would rule out it effecting lots of people ... but to those few it does effect ...

1st conviction big fines court costs and grant a diversion.

2nd conviction confiscate vehicle, 5 years jail time ... no exceptions ... just like a fellon caught with a gun.

===========================
    Chance favors the prepared mind [8D]

Topeka.gif
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • trstonetrstone Member Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Public humiliation as a punishment. Gee, and we gave up putting people in the stocks in the public square for what reason again?

It's the same thing.

Punish drunk drivers, yes, but come up with a more sensible way to do it....
  • Gibbs505Gibbs505 Member Posts: 3,175
    edited November -1
    I think that he should have to wear a sign around his nec that says in BIG letters, "Drunk Driver"

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
  • gun_runnergun_runner Member Posts: 8,999
    edited November -1
    Its like the modern day Scarlet Letter. I think a little humility will go a long way. Good Idea.

Larry
  • RUGERGUNZRUGERGUNZ Member Posts: 5,638 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I happen to like the idea. Wouldnt mind it going further even. If you are a convicted child molester, a different color, etc. And fancy this, if you dont want the shame or humiliation of it, just DONT BREAK THE LAW. Dont drink and drive and you wont have to worry.

RUGER.jpg

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." -- Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoanalysis