In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Green Hornet

wipalawipala Member Posts: 11,067
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Hey guys remember the Green Hornet?

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Kevin Smith is creating new buzz around "The Green Hornet."

The filmmaker behind "Chasing Amy,""Dogma" and the upcoming "Jersey Girl" will write and direct a new film about the masked crimefighter and his martial-arts sidekick, Kato, Miramax Films announced Wednesday.

"Long-time comics geek gets to make comic book movie?" Smith said, speculating about a possible newspaper headline. "This is a dream come true."

"The Green Hornet" chronicled the adventures of billionaire vigilante Britt Reid as he rode around catching bad guys in a sci-fi car. It was created by Fran Striker and George Trendle, who also worked together to create "The Lone Ranger."

The story started out as radio serial that launched in 1936 and later became a popular comic book. But it's probably best remembered as a 1966 TV series with Van Williams as the Hornet and Bruce Lee as Kato.

Smith, who often plays the mum, comic-book loving character Silent Bob in many of his movies, is a real-life comic lover who sold most of his collection to help finance the $27,000 budget of his 1994 black-and-white comedy "Clerks."

In addition to his film work, Smith has written for the Marvel Comics book "Daredevil" and the DC Comics character "Green Arrow." He also owns a comic store in Red Bank, N.J.

"Kevin knows more about comic characters, books and the creative process than anyone else I have ever met," said Miramax co-chief Harvey Weinstein, who approved the project.

Smith promised his "Green Hornet" adaptation would be an "exciting, chop-socky-filled action flick, but it's gonna have a compelling story, believable characters, and great dialogue to boot! Let's roll, Kato!"

Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: And he that hath no sword,let him sell his garment, and buy one

Comments

• wipalawipala Member Posts: 11,067
    edited November -1
    Do not see it in 3D not that great. One of those they made to get on the 3d band wagon.
  • gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    Good Idea. How about the Green Lantern? Now here is a real super hero. [8D]

Greg
    Former
    USMC
    ANGLICO
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    You Bet! The Green Hornet theme song is one of my favs of all time!

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get a copy of "Flight of the Bumble Bee" Classical work, forgot composer.
  • mpolansmpolans Member Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's probably going to be a great flick. Kevin Smith has a knack for good dialogue and he is definitely a comics buff.
  • mandersonmanderson Member Posts: 533 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Used to have a record album called "The Horn Meets the Hornet". Had a picture of Al Hirt (trumpet player) and Van Williams in the Green Hornet costume on the cover. Man that was a cool record! Think I played it as a kid until the grooves wore out. Wish I could find it.
  • 0311marine0311marine Member Posts: 3,233
    edited November -1
    wasnt the green hornet bruce lee?

sspic.jpgPistol-01.gif
    sealriverth.jpgdk_marinereconth.jpg
    SEMPER FI
  • mpolansmpolans Member Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nope. Bruce Lee was Kato, the Green Hornet's sidekick.

quote:Originally posted by 0311marine
    wasnt the green hornet bruce lee?

sspic.jpgPistol-01.gif
    sealriverth.jpgdk_marinereconth.jpg
    SEMPER FI
  • chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
    edited November -1
    About 2 mo's ago I bought a used Toyota 4x4 Pick Up and named it the Green Hornet.
    Back in the late 40s He was on Radio on Sunday Afternoon, After church. [:D][:D] BEFORE TV.[:0]
  • bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    One would think that with all the supposed "talent" on tap that they could come up with something a little more imaginative than re-hashing 50-year old funny books.
    Or are they just adapting to the American mentality?
    [?][?]barto

Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names.-JFK
  • mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov.

Barto....lighten up...it's for FUN. Has nothing to do with the real meaning of life. Don't ask me what the real meaning of life is cause I don't know, but I'm pretty sure this ain't it. [:D]
    "Just funnin', son. Just funnin'."

A bit of Green Hornet trivia.
    The program was on every week. On the programs before Pearl Harbor, Kato was Japanese. The week following Pearl Harbor, he was Philipino.
    I was 6 at the time and used to listen every week.

Mudge the reminiscing geezer

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!<BR>
  • kriskris Member Posts: 973 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    remember the batman show where robin fought kato and it came out as tie...?...now that was a true reality show[:D]

it is good that we meet in the struggle of life or death.. .....it shall be life!
  • chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
    edited November -1
    HEY Barf, Are you trying to start a Fight this morning???[:D]
  • chunkstylechunkstyle Member Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Green Hornet, heck! How about Green Arrow? or Silver Surfer? I'd love to see those in movie form.

"Go to Lakedaemon, stranger passing by;
    And say there, that in obedience to her law, here we lie"
  • 4GodandCountry4GodandCountry Member Posts: 3,968
    edited November -1
    I want to see Selma Hayek in a Wonder Woman outfit.[:D]

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet."
  • wipalawipala Member Posts: 11,067
    edited November -1
    Check out this site for movies based on comics

http://filmforce.ign.com/?fromint=1

Yes WonderWoman is in the works with Sandra Bullock[xx(][xx(]

Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: And he that hath no sword,let him sell his garment, and buy one
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,451 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Huh, I thought Kato was OJ's sidekick?!?!?!

He Dog
  • RUGERGUNZRUGERGUNZ Member Posts: 5,638 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is another Green Hornet out now..

"Teen Who Took Herbal Stimulant Describes Nightmare
    'Scariest Moment In My Life,' Says Teen About Green Hornet Experience

POSTED: 10:37 am MST February 17, 2004

A teen who overdosed on an herbal drink described his harrowing battle with hallucinations and the fight to keep a friend from swallowing his tongue while in convulsions from his own overdose.

Billy Rocha, 18, of Colorado Springs, told the Colorado Springs Gazette that he and three friends bought a 16-ounce bottle of Green Hornet Friday and checked in to a local motel to take it.

After taking one ounce of the "dietary supplement" with no effect, Rocha said they each took a second ounce and that's when the trouble started.

One of his friends stood up and then collapsed in convulsions, his lips turning blue.

"It was the scariest moment in my life. I thought he was going to die in my arms," Rocha told the Gazette.

Rocha said he tried to keep his friend from swallowing his tongue as his spasms continued.

Rocha said he tried to make himself vomit, in order to get the liquid out of his system, but he began hallucinating.

"The sink came out of the wall and started chasing me around the room," he said, describing his hallucination.

One of the other teens who didn't have as intense a reaction ran to a friend's home. The friend called police.

All four teens were rushed to a hospital for treatment.

Dr. Mark James was working at Memorial Hospital Friday night when the boys arrived.

He said herbal products, such as Green Hornet, are not regulated by the Food and Drug Administration and that makes it difficult to know what's in them.

"I think it's Russian roulette," James said. "You don't know what's in the chamber."

RUGER.jpgNRA_FLAG_2.gif8.jpg

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Ben Franklin