In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

need camo paint

kevin@digital-link.netkevin@digital-link.net Member Posts: 65 ✭✭
edited September 2002 in General Discussion
I just made a very large ladder stand out of steel tubing and I would like to paint it in olive drab anyone know wher to pick up a quart The local stores only mixes gloss I wanted flat Thanks Kevin

Comments

• Options
    mcneely77mcneely77 Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know about in your neck of the woods, but I can get cammo paint at the local Army Navy Surplus. He even has the sand (no slip) paint we used to use on the truck floors. He has quarts and gallons of it all. Good luck.

Do not mistake my kindness for weakness.

IALEFI, ASLET, NRA, and proud owner of a pair of S&W revolvers.
  • Options
    maggiethecatmaggiethecat Member Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    army navy stores. i go to cheaper than dirt or bass pro. try a home depot or lowes type store for flat od. a friend got 1 gallon latex in flat od at home depot, yes they had to mix it.

Give your kids roots and wings. and dont forget the guns!!
  • Options
    218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    Kevin,what stores are you going to?I
    never heard of a paint store that only
    mixes gloss.Kinda like a candy store that only sells black jelly beans,and nothin` else.

I`m a painting contractor,I`ll get back with a couple ideas.

• Options
    nelchrisnelchris Member Posts: 557 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hi you should be able to get spray paint at any hardware or bigger sporting goods stores
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:
    hi you should be able to get spray paint at any hardware or bigger sporting goods stores

Yeah,Rust Oleum is good,Krylon is good too.They both make a good grey primer,
    which is the way to go..primers are flat.Auto parts stores have good primers as well...it fact I`d apply a grey primer,then paint the whole thing brown,then spot it in with a grey finish.

Another thing,if it is new galvanized tubing,
    rince it off with viniger,or nothing will adhere very long.It will look good for a few months,but start to peel,if it isn`t treated first.

I`d grab:

2 cans grey primer
    2 cans grey flat finish
    2 cans brown flat finish

• Options
    edited November -1
    Sorry man,forgot you wanted olive drab...
    ..but everything else still go`s.

• Options
    edited November -1
    I guess I could go with gray primer than fill in with olive drab, brown, green, and black Also tubing is plain steel I used 16ga square tubing Very heavy stand but I will only be putting it up and taking it down once a year I really wanted a quart so I could spray with paint gun I like in central pa anyone know any stores in that area I tryed Lowe, and local hardware store only gloss in oil Thanks Kevin
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    www.surplusjeep.com
    They sell Mil-Spec, oil based, flat paint in all military colors. Spray cans and gallons. I painted my hunting truck with it, and it's great.

A great rifle with a junk scope,....is junk.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just got two quarts of oil base satin at sherwin williams ended up only paying $6.85 each and they mixed esactly what the right color Thanks everyone Kevin
  • Options
    LSandBincLSandBinc Member Posts: 216 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try automobile primer, black, red and grey.
  • Options
    nitrouznitrouz Member Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am just in your specialty. To make paint that is glossy- flat simply add baby powder to the paint. Works with car paint, house paint, everything- stir or shake well.
    To get Mil-Spec paint, don't go to the stores. The paint we use in the military has a shelf-life, after it is up we have to ship it to DRMO because the military thinks it is no longer servicable. Most of it is and you can buy it at your local Defense Marketing and Reutilization Office (DRMO) cheap.
    Another painters trick, ever paint a car or truck and get fish eyes from oil on the truck? Simple fix from an 'ole guy I met, put a few drops of Automatic Transmission Fluid in the paint. She'll flow right out.
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    nitrouz, THANK YOU for sharing that 'inside knowledge' - I may never need it, but most valuable to have it!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    nitrous...cool stuff,man!

• Options
    edited November -1
    Regular baby powder? and how much for a quart Thanks Kevin