In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Browning Hi-Power

Gene B.Gene B. Member Posts: 892 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2002 in General Discussion
Why is a Browning Hi-power called "HI-Power"? Does it shoot its bullets faster than a regular pistol?

Comments

• Options
    OtomanOtoman Member Posts: 554
    edited November -1
    Great question GeneB, I have been wondering the same thing for a while myself, Hope someone comes along and has the right answer! It is also refered to as a P-35 and I believe that was the year it was first produced in! 1935....
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sir Rembrandt of the esteemed SJC would probably be the resident authority on that question.
  • Options
    YankeeClipperYankeeClipper Member Posts: 669 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What happened to all the Hi Powers? I remember a time and not that long ago almost every gun store had a few, in fact I remember one store that wouldn't take one on trade because he had 4 lined up for sale at $135.00 ea. I'm sure I could be persuaded to give that for one now.
  • Options
    k.stanonikk.stanonik Member Posts: 2,109 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It seems that Browning was going to stop production of these fine guns, but now after colt stopping production of some of their models, browning is going to continue production is what i was told by a browning employee. THere is a long back order list.
  • Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looked through one of my reference books last nite, couldn't find any mention why it got that name.....I'll do a little more checking tonight.
  • Options
    thunderboltthunderbolt Member Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe High Power was used in reference to the 13 round capacity.
  • Options
    FitzFitz Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was able to find this much out for you,"Some modern literature refers to the gun as a "Hi Power". Early literature refers to it as a "High Power", this is a translation from its original title given to it by FN "Grand Puissance"."Source: http://www.recguns.com/IIIC2d2.html Sorry I couldn't find a link to why he chose the name "High Power". Maybe thunderbolt's got it.Fitz[This message has been edited by Fitz (edited 03-28-2002).]