In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Kimber First Day

Mr. LoboMr. Lobo Member Posts: 538 ✭✭✭
edited May 2002 in General Discussion
Well I picked up the Kimber Gold Match yesterday at the gun show. This morning I took it to the range and boy am I a happy camper. The trigger is sweet the recoil is a little more than I had hoped but I am sure that I will get used to it. That's what you get with a 45 cal. The precision of the manufacturing surpasses anything I currently own. I still need to work on my target group but time will help me there. All in all this is by far the nicest piece that I own. Thought those of you that are sitting on the fence trying to decide which single action 1911-style handgun might find this interesting.

Jim

Comments

• Options
    SXSMANSXSMAN Member Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For me it may be some time before a new gun purchase,so I for 1 enjoy hearing about others guns.What are you thinking about buying next?

Have guns,will travel
  • Options
    edited November -1
    SXSMAN, Remington Mdl 700 30-06 and Sig Pro 40 cal which one and when I am not sure of...

Jim
  • Options
    PDF.44PDF.44 Member Posts: 97 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mr.Lobo,
    I own a Gold Match also. I have had it for a couple of
    years and I agree with you. Most accurate hand gun I own.
  • Options
    badboybobbadboybob Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the Kimber Ultra Carry CDP and it's the finest piece of work I've ever owned.

PC=BS
  • Options
    CAndres35CAndres35 Member Posts: 453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    badboy,sounds like you have just what i have been wanting! i just cant convince myself to put out 1700.00 for somthing i can hardly afford to shoot, enough to become proficient. i have had a ruger in 40cal for about 4 years and put about 4 boxes of shells through it. the same goes for my high powered rifels[243,270,35rem 44mag]. ithink this is why the lowley 22 is the most poplar gun going. i have put probably 5000 round through it in the last six months.
    carl
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,635 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mr. Lobo, congrats on the KGM...I have had mine just over three years and just love it. My first suggestion is to take off those beautiful
    rosewood grips and replace them with a set of Hogues. I have large hands and the Hogues fill my hand better and with the finger grooves, a far better grip....
  • Options
    badboybobbadboybob Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    CAndres the Kimber Ultra Carry CDP II costs much less than $1700. I bought mine new on GB for $850 plus shipping. It really is a fine piece of work and shoots better than I can with these old eyes.

PC=BS
  • Options
    edited November -1
    William81, I agree totally so much so that I picked a set up at the gun show. I took off the Rose Wood before I ever shot it. The Hogue's round off the perfect 1911 for me. I could not find a plastic holster so I picked up a leather setup. Not the top of the line just something to get by with till I find the one I have to have. Thanks to all for the response.

CAndres35, You need to take up reloading if you haven't already.

Jim
  • Options
    edited November -1
    BADBOYBOB: thank you,i might consider 800.00 i saw them advertised in several magazines and that is where i got the price{memory may not be accurate] and i only use network at work. i would sure like to own one but will have to check out price more closley. thank you for the reply though. CARL
  • Options
    edited November -1
    mr lobo: i do some reloading including the 40 cal.,38 357,44mag. looking for dies for my 243.dont do a lot of target shooting mostly hunting and in the great daley state of illinois we cant use a rifle for deer so only use for groudhog and coyote that i never get to see except when totaly unprepared for them.[ha ha]CARL
  • Options
    SUBMARINERSUBMARINER Member Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    LOBO,HAD A SIGPRO 2340,LOVED IT.SOLD IT AND BOUGHT A SIG P-226 IN .40,LOVE IT EVEN MORE.FOR AN EXTRA $75-100 THE 226 IS THE WAY TO GO.JUST 2 CENTS FROM SOMEONE WHO HAS OWNED BOTH.IVE BEEN LOOKING AT A KIMBER AS MY NEXT BUY,LATELY BEEN THINKING ABOUT THE SIG P-220.LOVED THE KIMBER I SHOT THE ONLY DRAWBACK TO IT WAS IT ONLY HOLDS 7 RNDS,AND THAT IF YOU CARRY IT YOU PRETTY MUCH HAVE TO CARRY IT COCKED AND LOCKED AND I DONT KNOW HOW COMFORTABLE I WOPULD BE WITH THAT.ANY INPUT ON THE COCKED AND LOCKED ISSUE,ANYONE?

SUBMARINE SAILOR,TRUCK DRIVER,NE'ER DO WELL, INSTIGATOR,AND RUSTY WALLACE FAN
  • Options
    edited November -1
    SUBMARINER, Thanks for your comments, My son is a LEO and he cannot use the SigPro that we got him for his birthday for a backup pistol. He has to go 9mm. So he was going to trade in the SigPro 40 cal on a Sig 9mm. I hate to see a firearm leave the family so I told him we would buy it. I really like the 226 and if I was going to buy new then the 226 in 9mm would be my choice.

Jim
  • Options
    edited November -1
    anybody carry a .45 cal cocked and locked?pros cons?

• Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mr. Lobo--

Why would you rather have a plastic holster? I'm not trying to be a smart@$$. I'm just curious.

Any opinions on the Kimber Eclipse II? I was looking at one in Sioux Falls this week and boy she looked pretty.

SSG idsman75, U.S. ARMY

Edited by - idsman75 on 05/04/2002 19:33:55
  • Options
    edited November -1
    idsman75, I did some research at Front Site and they recommend a 1911 in .45ACP in a Kydex holster worn on the waistbelt. I plan on going there soon for some additional training. I like leather but if the plastic is going to draw better/faster I thought I should give it a try. What are your thoughts?

Jim
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,635 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mr. Lobo, have you had the chance to fire your KGM a second time yet ?
    I had mine out last week, it is far more accurate than I will ever be.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    William81, Tomorrow morning will be the second time. I tried to get out today but the honey-dos got in the way. Next Saturday is my first combat event with it. I am real happy with the fit and feel. When I raise up the pistol the sites are on the target. I knocked down some steal with it, after punching holes in paper, last weekend and it was amazing. Everytime I pick it up it feels soooo good. Definitely the right choice. Thanks to all for the advice.

Jim
  • Options
    rogerreloaderrogerreloader Member Posts: 107 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I own a custom shop eclipse II and love it. If you load your own 45s you can down load them to a comfortable level for target a target load. I would advise anyone shooting competition on trying one.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am looking for the dies right now so I can start reloading. I want to soften the recoil and still get the lead to the 50-yard target. I think I can improve my time during the combat shoot with less recoil. I also want to go lead because the copper jacketing is flying back and hitting me. No blood just annoying. I like to shoot with my son's and I don't want to chance a minor injury that my wife would never let me forget.

Jim
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It sounded like you knew something I didn't know about plastic vs. leather. I had heard that the Kydex holsters enabled a faster draw. Now it's confirmed. Thanks!

SSG idsman75, U.S. ARMY
  • Options
    rogerreloaderrogerreloader Member Posts: 107 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try RAINIER 230gr tcj bullets with 4.5gr of aa#2. I shoot that in competition at steel targets at closer dist. than that and get no splatter back on me.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    as far as reloads dont go too skimpy or you will have cycle problems.every powder ive tried needs about half a grain more than what the reloading book calls for to cycle properly.dont know if my sig just has a stout spring or what.just got done shooting 250 9mm loads that my bro in law accidentaly loaded with .40 grain weights,stout ha ha,he didnt reset our powder dump and got carried awayonly split 2 cases

• Options
    edited November -1
    SUBMARINER, In regards to carrying "cocked and locked" that is the only way my holster works. With the third new safety in the Kimber II I feel even safer than before. The timing on hitting the safety while drawing is something I have not mastered. I am practicing the draw without the clip and with the chamber checked prior to practice. I will keep the cycle vs powder ratio in mind. Thank you. Careful with those hot 9's.

Jim