In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

357 SIG

Gene B.Gene B. Member Posts: 892 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2002 in General Discussion
What are your thought on a 357 sig? Looking at one but don't know alot about the round. Thanks for you input[:D]

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Anyone know of a factory load heavier than the Hornady and Double Tap 147gr?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ammunition depot has some good prices on range ammo in 357 SIG, comes out to about 30 cents a round which is not too bad.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    A fellow worker at the shop said it's not much fun too shoot (too much recoil) and doesn't offer much in terms of ballistics. What do y'all think?

signew.JPG
    1ashcroft05-07-02.jpg
    "The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long..."
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Is the 357 sig better than a .45? And if it is, in what ways?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My Wife got me a new to me used G32 here on GB while I was gone. I ordered 500 rds of CCI Lawman ammo 125gr FMJ @1350 fps to test the piece.

I have not shot many 40 S&W's so I was not expecting the recoil, blast and snappyness(If thats a word[;)]) of the gun. I was thinking of replacing my G19 with this as my carry gun. I put 100 rds out of it on steel only. I like it but my follow up is not as fast as with a G19 or G34 but its hits with authority.

In centerfire handguns I shoot about mostly 9mm with a mix of 45 acp, 41 and 44 magnum, I don't own a 40 cal.

Anyone shoot this number or carry it?

You thoughts are appreciated.

FWIW I like the gun(I like Glocks), it is accurate and after I work on iut the trigger will be fine. The gun is a TX Highway patrol gun and I plan on replacing the springs before I shoot it a lot.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    looking at 2 pistols any feedback on any of them first the glock 32 and the sig sp2022 both chambered for the 357 sig
  • Options
    simonbssimonbs Member Posts: 994
    edited November -1
    Here is the way I understand it (keep in mind that I am simple minded):.357 sig - small and fast.45 acp - big and slow
  • Options
    gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    We are getting into velocity vs weight. The same old 9mm vs 45 issue. The 9mm / 45 issue never died so the question you are asking is the same. the 357 sig will give you the same stats as the .357 mag or the 9mm+P+. Do you really want to open this can of worms again?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    which one will do more damage if you are shot by it?
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 357 is flatter shooting and in the 125 grain weight has a better history of one-shot-stops. The cartridge weight is lower and the gun frame size is smaller, making for a lighter total weight of gun and ammo.
  • Options
    .250Savage.250Savage Member Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It depends on which philosophy you ascribe to. Light and fast means shock, expansion, and a relatively large wound channel. Slow and heavy means penetration, more initial knock-down, and no real need for expansion, since it's already .451" in diameter. Both have their adherants, but thus far neither one has conclusively proven their case. To me, this means both are effective. I would not feel ill-armed with either .357 Sig or .45 auto. Choose one or the other, and don't loose any sleep over it. Bullet placement is king.
  • Options
    ebeshirsebeshirs Member Posts: 382 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actually v35, According to Evan Marshall, the .45 230gr. Federal Hydra-shok has a rating of 96% one-shot stops (out of full sized handguns). This is the same as several different 125 gr. JHP out of the .357 mag or .357 Sig (out of 4" barrelled handguns).As to the original question, it's really clear as mud. It's all personal preference.Caliber selection is not nearly as important as bullet selection.(i.e. a good JHP in 9mm is far better than a .45 FMJ). That being said, the Texas DPS switched from the SIG 220 in .45 to the SIG 226 in .357Sig because they were unhappy with the lack of penetration in vehicles of the .45. They are reportedly happy with the preformance of the .357sig.
  • Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 357 Sig was designed as a clever way to get the best .357 Magnum ballistics out of a semi-auto pistol cartridge that functions in a 9mm-sized gun. At that, it succeeds (I hear) beautifully. I agree with comments above. I would feel as well armed as you can get with a defensive handgun with either a 125 grain HP 357 sig, or any good .45, even in round-nose. Although the .40 is still proving itself, I feel equally confident about my G27 for deep concealment when loaded with Cor-Bon or HydraShoks. I might add that I would feel about as well armed with the corresponding revolver calibers, in 357 magnum and the best 44 Special loads.
    "The 2nd Amendment is about defense, not hunting. Long live the gun shows, and reasonable access to FFLs. Join the NRA -- I'm a Life Member."
  • Options
    RUGERNUT3RUGERNUT3 Member Posts: 247 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gene..I carry a full size semi in .45 alternatley loaded Hydro's(for 1st.shot stopping,or best to be expected),,FMJ's to get thru car doors etc. and FED. 165grn. personnel defense HP's to back up the Hydros.My extra mag is loaded similarly. But I just ordered a CZ 100 in .40...racked my little brain to get a gun in .357 SIG or ,40. Just could not find enough info about "so called one stops" or ballistics to sway me from my .40 choice..the rounds seem to be pretty similar...cept off the shelf at this point in time I can find more selection of .40 than .357 SIG, .357 is so new yet. If you handload you may not be as resticted with choices.
    "ANY" EXCUSE IS A GOOD REASON TO BUY "JUST 1 MORE".& VICIE-VERSIE!
  • Options
    ebeshirsebeshirs Member Posts: 382 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rugernut, the .357sig is not new. It has been commercially loaded since 1994.As far as information of the effectiveness, try this website http://pub58.ezboard.com/bthestoppingpowercommunity As for loading different bullets, that seems like a bad idea to me. That would be a defense attorney's worst nightmare; and a prosecuting attorney's best dream: "Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury, the defendant was so hell-bent on killing someone, that he loaded "special" bullets in his gun so that he could kill someone plumb through a car."Just my opinion. A lot of people carry the bullets that their local cops carry since that would be easier to defend in court.