In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Militia's commander sees fears coming true

Josey1Josey1 Member Posts: 9,598 ✭✭
edited November 2001 in General Discussion
Militia's commander sees fears coming trueBy JANE O. HANSENAtlanta Journal-Constitution Staff WriterWhen the first jetliner slammed into the World Trade Center that morning, Jimmy Wynn was in bed asleep after working the night shift. Within minutes, his phone began ringing, his e-mail bleeping. This is the beginning of the end, the messages all said.By the time the second plane hit, Wynn had seized the helm. Jenni Girtman / AJCDan Roberts (left) and Dennis Bellew apply map reading and compass navigation skills with other members of the militia in a training session near Winder.
"Take it easy," he says he told callers. "And if you think you're going to have to run out of town, go ahead and pack your survival gear."As commander of the Militia of Georgia, Wynn, 44, keeps his finger on the pulse of those who distrust government and see a broad conspiracy to strip people of their individual rights.After years of declining numbers, Sept. 11 has breathed new urgency and a renewed sense of purpose into the paramilitary organization, Wynn says."As far as recruiting, it was a boon," he says.Short and stocky with dark hair and a mustache, Wynn speaks gently but writes aggressively in his monthly newsletter about the threat to civil liberties since Sept. 11. The survival preparedness group eschews violence and once rejected as a member a man who wanted to blow up Buford Dam, Wynn says.Last weekend, he put out a statewide call to anyone interested in honing survival skills and getting out of town at a moment's notice.On a near perfect, springlike day, about a dozen survivalists spent their afternoon near Winder, practicing the fine points of reading a compass and maps to navigate their way through the woods."I've heard rumors that they're now training the Georgia defense forces for how to search your house and seize your weapons," Wynn told them as they sat in rows in a makeshift shack. "They're getting ready to come around with the new world order, the national ID."After an hour of classroom instruction by Jaimie Blackstone, a camouflage-clad consulting engineer and expert in land navigation, they spent the rest of the afternoon trekking through the woods and practicing what they'd learned.The way Wynn sees it, the terrorist attacks were not the work of Osama bin Laden and his henchmen. They were the work of the U.S. government."The Bushes want a one-world government," he says. "When George Bush Sr. was president, he said over and over, 'New world order.' Those are the same words Hitler used. ... Hitler wanted to identify everybody with a tattoo. George [W.] Bush wants to identify everybody with an identity card."Wynn believes the CIA attacked the World Trade Center and the Pentagon to justify passage of new laws that take away constitutional rights."A year ago, if somebody came to this country and said they wanted to have a national ID, total gun control and monitor everything you did from the womb to the tomb, we would have kicked them out of the country," he says."So they created the problem, which is terrorism. Then they offered the solution. They say the majority are willing to give up civil liberties in exchange for safety."Wynn joined the Militia of Georgia to protect gun rights. Since 1994, he's been commander off and on of an organization whose hierarchy includes majors, unit captains and a rules committee.But experts say militias in general have fallen on hard times.Wynn has had trouble getting people to meetings, but he disputes the numbers are on the decline. Statewide, he estimates there are 20 units with a total of 300 hard-core members, although he admits the numbers are loose. Some enlistees exist only on the Internet. "I call them the Cyber Space Patriots because you never really meet them," Wynn says. "The Internet's taken over everything." He claims to have a mailing list of 3,000 and says he gets regular hits on his group's Web site.Last weekend, Wynn told the group he wants to step up the meetings from once to twice a month. He hopes to change the group from "an eat, meet and retreat study group" into one more focused on survival preparedness and education, like last weekend's exercise.At home, Wynn keeps 55 gallons of drinking water in case "these people hit the water supply with anthrax." He has radioes that operate off solar power, TVs that work off batteries and camping gear in case both his electricity and gas are shut off or he needs to take to the woods."We try to maintain a defensive posture," he says, adding that President Bush's Office of Homeland Defense is a waste of money. "We already have homeland defense. It's called militias." http://www.accessatlanta.com/ajc/terrorism/homefront/1125militiab.html

Comments

• Options
    ED PED P Member Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Part of me is glad there are guys like this mixed into the population, like splinters on a board that isn't smooth and easy to grab, and part of me is very scared of guys like this.
  • Options
    travelortravelor Member Posts: 442 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know if this guy is on the up-n-up or not...but I wish I knew someone here in Wisconsin that could provide the type of training he is, so that if ever there should be a call for civilians to take up arms, we wouldn't all be running around like Judge Dredd's chickens with our heads blown off. I go and buy all of these guns to be prepared, and have no real training other than basic experience as a hunter/shooter. I know how to point and shoot, but in a war like situation...I would like to know what to expect in a leader who can be trusted to set up proper defences..
    keep lots of extra uppers for your ar..you can change often enough to keep the thing from over heating...what ever caliber fits the moment..~Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Options
    concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Travelor, I wouldn't worry too much. Think about how many former military folks are out there. Heck, I know in my neighborhood alone there are several old Marines, a guy who was an Army officer and a few from other branches. I think that many of these people would become instant leaders during a local crisis. I think the militias are fine, but I doubt that they would be very effective if SHTF. There are just too many threats to prepare for. I mean, if we got socked by an Smallpox epidemic, what could they possibly do except get infected along with everyone else?
  • Options
    Judge DreadJudge Dread Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Many guys are out there with the proper training and morals to Save you people in the time of need , remember your prayers be it to Budda,God,Christ,Virgin Marry or Theface in a $100 dollar bill ,Be sure we willbe there when you need US ,but beware of the wolves and predators that may also roam for victims ,the best is to EDUCATE yourselves in order to be self sufficient inENERGY , FOOD , WATER , Transportation andLOGISTICS The last step is PROTECTION and DEFENSE ,in a properly UNITED community thereis NOTHING to be afraid of ,its not MILITIAits just being CIVIC.
    I judge Thee!, Not for what you are , but for what you say !
  • Options
    badboybobbadboybob Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How do I join? Do they take 65 year old farts?
  • Options
    SKGUNZSKGUNZ Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Am I the only one hearing banjo music playing??
  • Options
    gunnutgunnut Member Posts: 724 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    LOL, sure will sleep better knowing such highly trained profesionals will be on watch tonight! Someone's been watchin red dawn to much Stir, Stir, Stir
    ~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Options
    gunnutgunnut Member Posts: 724 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From a former FO, Looking at the above pictures maybe they needed some PT more than land nav? Doesn't really matter if you can find you way points if you cant make it to them. Oh wait, guess they will be traveling by apc's or milita helo? Guided by wal-mart GPS, hmmm guess Ill leave it to Stalone's army least I be judged. Stir,Stir,Stir
    ~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Options
    usmc2498215usmc2498215 Member Posts: 82 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    O.K. lets all take a deep breath, exhale, relax, and have these two guys spend a little more time with their grand kids...