In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Strangest/oddest/rarest gun in your collection?

jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
edited December 2001 in General Discussion
For me it is probably the Portuguese Kropatschek. They are on the market now, but as only 49,000 were made, it isn't a common piece. I'd like to get the carbine and colonial models as well and have a set of these odd rifles. How about you all? What's the rarest, most valuable, strangest piece you got?
"...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conference in 1899.

Comments

• Options
    compgunfirecompgunfire Member Posts: 95 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an AMT Backup in .22lrThey are not as common as the .380's, but it a great little pocket gun.
  • Options
    218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    My two Model-1920-Savage bolt action rifles! They were built in the early 20s to be light,and beautiful..and they are the most beatiful rifle ever built..I saw a Newton rifle the other day and thought ,for a second I had found my third Savage M-20.If you have never seen one,..at least find a picture and see what ya been missin`.The Frank de Haus book"BOLT ACTION RIFLES" has a great section on it. .218[This message has been edited by 218Beekeep (edited 12-12-2001).]
  • Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rarest would be a toss up between a Browning Renaissance High power and a Peters Stahl Omega three barrel set (10mm, 38super, .45acp)...very few were brought into this country.
  • Options
    muleymuley Member Posts: 1,583 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rarest? I don't know. Strangest, maybe. I've got a single shot 410/45LC pistol with about a 12" barrel, made by Stephens that my gradfather owned years ago. Button on the left side breaks it open. Illegal in Kal because the bank robbers used to love them.
  • Options
    boogerbooger Member Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Probably a Daisy/Heddon Presentation VL 22. Thats the gun of the future, (yeh right) you know, shoots the caseless ammo with a burst of air igniting the "charge". Not worth much but rare and weird. Heh, got two cases of ammo to go with it. Just great.More traditional is a Trap grade Model 12 16 gauge. Gold trigger too! I haven't seen many like it but the good part is I do shoot it. It's not just leaning in the corner getting dusty.
    Them ducks is wary.
  • Options
    timberbeasttimberbeast Member Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Single-shot 12 gauge, says Russo on the side and has a picture of a rooster engraved on the receiver. Chicago, Illinois is stamped somewhere. No serial #. Was my dad's when he was a kid, then he bought a '97 and it became the "barn gun", thus is pitted from all the years leaning in the corner of the cowbarn. Have it on the wall, don't dare shoot it with all the pitting inside and outside of the barrel. Besides, it weighs about as much as a cheesburger, so I think it would be a tad painful to fire.
  • Options
    DENWADENWA Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    German WWII trainer in 22lr great shape and still shoots 1" groups!
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's the Sharps prime device on an 1864 Sharps carbine that launches a fulminate pellet when the hammer is released. It's timed so the hammer catches it and drives it onto the nipple, firing the gun. The magazine located in the sideplate,holds about a dozen "Sharps Primes".I'd love to get some to try.
  • Options
    smooth_operatorsmooth_operator Member Posts: 227 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    AMT Baby Automag 22lr with 8" ribbed barrel, original wood grips, etc. Scaled down version of the Automag which is based on a Ruger MK2 platform. It was a NIB hand me down from a very generous brother. -Smooth
  • Options
    legn4legn4 Member Posts: 481 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Browning A-5, ser# 3XX , You know John Moses proably checked it out. Also a Remington 76.
    Work'n like a dog all nite
  • Options
    COWBOYKIDDCOWBOYKIDD Member Posts: 239
    edited November -1
    Strangest weapon = Cane that you might use to aid in walkin after you've been thrown off too many bulls//// but if you raise it up and press the little button out comes a 22 AKA cane gun.Wheel guns Rule but Machine-guns Rock-N-Roll[This message has been edited by COWBOYKIDD (edited 12-13-2001).]
  • Options
    woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My favorite is a S&W 1st model .44 hand ejector (a.k.a. Triple Lock) WOODS
  • Options
    wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A 1906 Winchester Expert 22. The only difference between it and a standard 1906 is that it has a pistol grip stock and a slightly different fore arm. This gun is in really good shape and has a lyman WS-1 peep sight also. I'm like.218 I can't stop with just one. I also have a pretty nice Winchester thumbtrigger 22, shoots 22 short, longs and extra longs. Cute little gun.
    standard.jpg
  • Options
    edharoldedharold Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have about a 1940 "gitter gun" which is like a small trap to which bait is attached. You pull on the bait, you get shot with a 22 short. They were used for varmint control.
    "They that would give up liberty to obtain safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"Benj. Franklin, 1759
  • Options
    .250Savage.250Savage Member Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would have to say it's a tossup between my 9mm C96 "Broomhandle" Mauser (with the wooden holster/shoulder stock) or my CZ 52 9mm pistol, with its weird roller-locking action (which is why I bought it).
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I feel kinda left out here , but I do have a Erma Werks model 68A(9mm Kurtz) which looks like a Luger, but about 1/3 smaller ... unfortunately the cocking povit hinge (for lack of knowing the correct terminology) broke the 1st time I fired it, and I haven't been able to find the replacement part.
    GUN CONTROL: If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    1863 Tower .59 Cal smoothbore
  • Options
    GreenLanternGreenLantern Member Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's not in my collection but my girlfriends Grandfather has it.It's got a stock that looks like it was made out of a LARGE 2x4. And I use the term 'stock' loosely. The barrel two piece, one sliding inside the other with the diameter of about a 12 gauge. There's a screw with a large knob that screws into the right side of the barrel. Then on the stock, it's stamped/burned 'Phillipines Guerilla Gun'. I've been meaning to get a picture of it to post to see if anyone know anything about it or it's just something someone built in their garage.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,969 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Walther PP "liberated" from the Walther factory- not one of the pearl handled nickle plated ones Eisenhower took out by the truck load and gave to campaign supporters when he ran for Prez.H & R 300 Ultra.
  • Options
    simonbssimonbs Member Posts: 994
    edited November -1
    Colt Commando or Commander, DA, .38spl, 3.5"bbl, with clear platic grips that have old aluminum foil under them. used by my wife's Great-Grandfather as his duty weapon while employed with B'ham P.D.Its now my wife's carry gun because she shoots it better than any other. She refuses to let me put some Houges on it. She says Great-Grandad helps her shoot it.
  • Options
    Old hickoryOld hickory Member Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Daisy "Buck Jones Special" made from1933 -1937 -not a good time to be inthe air rifle business. Mine is near mint - bought at a garage sale28 years ago.
  • Options
    daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
    edited November -1
    F/N 9mm shotgun. 9mm brass shotshell rimfire bolt action, 24" barrel. Usually called a "parlor" gun.
  • Options
    gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    Mine is the Timber Wolf .357 mag pump rifle. I just love the thing.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,017 ******
    edited November -1
    Colt .38 Super Commander, circa 1956. Not an unusual gun, but the grips are. Hand carved ivory Oriental dragons. Well-yellowed with age. Beautiful.
    Certified SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of the General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com, the premier gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net Jesus is Lord!
  • Options
    dhdh Member Posts: 127 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not mine but my pa-in-law's.Smith and Wesson 6" barrel .38.Nickel or stainless,I haven't looked at it in years, and on the left side of the barrel it is engraved and highlighted "TEXAS PRISON SYSTEM #12.It is very old and as far as I know my pa-in-law has never fired it.
  • Options
    sig-mansig-man Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    An old German EMGE double barrel over and under double action .32 acp pistol, complete with waffens, it is a top break style, and has ported barrels, it's just plain weird looking...
  • Options
    biganimalbiganimal Member Posts: 135 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ruger number 3 in 44/40. won over $700 showing this rifle to folks that bet me that ruger didn't chamber the 3 in this caliber!!!!
  • Options
    Mark IIMark II Member Posts: 247 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't have too many old or rare ones, just a 1915 Carcano 6.5 marked "brescia" and a Winchester model 74 .22 in near excellent condition.
    "To meet with ill fortune is to meet with good fortune. To meet with submission is to meet an enemy."Mark_II@gunbroker.zzn.com