In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Toys with my tax refund

idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
edited September 2001 in General Discussion
I have a quick question to run by the collective audience here. I was at a gun store today looking at some old rifles. One was a Russian M-44 in 7.62X54 in good condition and the other was labeled as a "Steyr Manlicher" in 8mm which was in unissued condition. Both were about equally priced at about $80.00. Which do you think would be the better buy and which do you think would bring better shooting enjoyment? Can non-corrosive 8mm ammo be found at reasonable prices or do I have to go with the more expensive Remington Cor-Lokt if I want to avoid the hassle of corrosive ammo?

Comments

• Options
    lrarmsxlrarmsx Member Posts: 791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the Steyr you are referring to is the M95 or M95/34 straight pull, you won't be finding any Remington 8mm for it. The Steyr Mannlicher is a chambered in 8x56R, not 8x57 mauser. I've been having several individuals ordering that ammo from me as of late. It is not currently produced by anyone, not even Norma. All of the ammo that I've ever seen, goes back to the early days of WW II, 1937-1939. All of this ammo is corrosive and berdan primed. I've got it, but they aren't making more of it. The gun is neat in its design, but there are very few accessories available for it. As for the 7.62x54 ammo, there's a lot of that out there cheap. And as for reloadable, Winchester started making it this year. There is also a number of accessories for the M44, scope mounts, stocks, etc.
  • Options
    sealyonsealyon Member Posts: 313 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the Styer is a 98 in good condition ( bore ) and you reload you have another option. Have it rechambered to an 8mmx06. Unless you want to keep it original this makes a very good deer and bear gun. Just a thought since I don't know your intentions. No matter---Buy one( or both),---Shoot a lot,----Have FUN
  • Options
    Mark IIMark II Member Posts: 247 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Personally, I would buy the Steyr. You don't see too many straight-pull bolt actions, and I consider them kinda interesting. And, you should be able to pick up a russian M-44 just about anywhere if you later decide you want that one too.
    "To meet with ill fortune is to meet with good fortune. To meet with submission is to meet an enemy."