In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

belt-fed 223 AR upper no longer a myth

GreenLanternGreenLantern Member Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭
edited August 2002 in General Discussion
Take a look. The Shrike does exist. I've seen a lot of speculation in the last year or two that this company didn't even exist any more. Nobody had heard anything when they tried to contact the company. Pretty sweet looking but at $2500 for just the upper? Whew, pretty rich for my blood. Anyone going to put money down on one?

Comments

• Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey GL (my favorite superhero! :)

Do you have a website or something where we can see this critter?

Thanks GL!

=================================
    The only bad thing about choosing a Kimber ...
    ... there are so darn many models to choose from!
    kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com

Edited by - kimberkid on 08/01/2002 09:37:57
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    GreenLanternGreenLantern Member Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oh yeah! I suppose it would help to add that wouldn't it?

http://www.aresdefense.com
  • Options
    concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Who's that idiot lefty in picture No. 2? Nice finger on the trigger!

Looks like it might be a fun accessory. Too rich for my blood, though!

G36

Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT Criminals
  • Options
    guns-n-painthorsesguns-n-painthorses Member Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, I must admit,,, It sure looks like fun. Oh I bet Sara Brady would just sh*t her britches!

Got Guns?
  • Options
    airborneairborne Member Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One mean looking weapon. Very little information on their site, down loaded the order form, and will call them tomorrow.

Does anyone know if it comes in semi-auto or does it reguire a Class III permit?

B - BreatheR - RelaxA - AimS - SightS - Squeeze
  • Options
    RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Would this be legal if a person had a legal full auto lower? Also, what would be the advantage over the saw?
  • Options
    BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    I'll take an M60E3. Indeed, why limit yourself?
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like I get to tote the M60 when we go to the field in August. Woo-Hoo! Lugging around all that weight might be worthwhile if we did more than just fire blanks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Isnt the weight worth it to know that you're carrying The Hog?
    *fud-ududududududud-dum*

Are you gonna be toting the original M60 or the E3? If it's the former, dont forget your asbestos glove! tee hee Yeah yeah, they fixed it in the later model.
  • Options
    lrarmsxlrarmsx Member Posts: 791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IDS, we good sized guys always get to be the ones that carry the pig. It could be worse, they could have you just carry several belts of ammo for someone else who will get to shoot it. That would be worse wouldn't it?
  • Options
    Matt45Matt45 Member Posts: 3,185
    edited November -1
    lrarmsx-

You know that's a good point about being the AG, but, everywhere I've ever been, it's the sawed off little fireplugs who carry the Pig. Usually that was me.

Bullz-

Once again your overwhelming LACK of experiance is showing. I've toted the M-60 in all of it's guises, and have never even scorched myself. But I'm sure you will have some re-buttal from "A veteran you SPOKE with" or some other such "research" you've done. And as far as the extra weight being worth the glory, grow up.

Abe Lincoln once said something that applies to you about 35% of the time. It basically follows along the lines of "Sometimes it's better to be thought that you're a fool, than to open your mouth and prove it."

Reserving my Right to Arm Bears!!!!
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey! Easy on Bullzeye yous guys ... I like him ... he makes me chuckle ... and sometimes laugh my * off

Besides, have you never been young, excited, foolhardy and want to impress your peers?

Truly though bull ... sometimes you may want to check things out a little further ... but if you have really exhausted all your resources and still don't have good info, its better to be wise enough to ask a question than make a statement and thought of as a fool.

=================================
    The only bad thing about choosing a Kimber ...
    ... there are so darn many models to choose from!
    kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Way to be harsh, Matt.

I was under the impression that in the M60 and M60E1 an asbestos glove was a necessary part of the gunner's kit, being that there was no barrel handle, and the bipod attached to the top barrel.

Resultantly, the gunner had to grab the barrel with the glove, take it out, take off the bipod, put the second barrel in, and put the bipod back on, all while holding the entire thing in the air (since the bipod had to clip onto the top barrel).

All of those issues were fixed with the E3, which has grips on both barrels and a bipod which is fixed to the reciever.

If I've got that wrong somehow, feel free to correct me...

Edited by - Bullzeye on 08/01/2002 00:34:37
  • Options
    dads-freeholddads-freehold Member Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    greetings, i saw it done in simulated combat on the old pig, but never in a firefight, have to agree with lts. respt submitted dads-freehold

rodney colson
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:
    I can`t remember the last time a M60 barrel was changed during a firefight.

It doesnt matter what you've seen or not seen. That's not my point. I guarantee you lots of M60 barrels have needed changing in firefights. All I wanted was some verification on whether the assistant gunner in the 2 man team needed an asbestos glove to hold the barrel while doing a barrel change.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Allright Bullz-

I'll give you an opportunity here- perhaps you are crossing a few wires with your information.

Changing the barrel on an M-60 is tricky, but it can (and has!) been done in the prone- you know the carboard box and the bandolier the 100 round belts of '60 ammo come in?? Not everyone carries Ammo "Rambo" style, Uh Huh, you only have to snatch the barrel for a second, but never, I repeat NEVER in a firefight. That weapon is considered your most casulty producing weapon, therefore for it to be down would be considered a serious loss of firepower.(Don't confuse this as a statement on the weapon itself, this just means that when wheather it's an M-249, M-240E, or M-60 that is the weapons system that fills the role of machine gun in an infantry squad, it is considerd the primary casulty producing device).

LTS is absolutely correct, at a proper, or even sustained rate of fire and infantry squad doesn't hump enough ammo to warrant changing a barrel, therefore, no changee barrel.

On the other hand, with the M-2 .50 Cal BMG, if you don't have 2 gloves, you will not get near that barrel after you've shot 1500 rounds in about 12-13 minutes, which I belive is near the sustained rate for that weapon in a defensive fixed role, as in perimeter defense, where you would (hopefully!)have scads of ammo availible.

And another thing- LTS is probably only the fourth person I've spoke to who has seen a weapons system shot so hard and fast that you can watch the barrel lose it's temper. We fired up a Iraqi 12.7 (Commie .50 Cal) and linked together all the ammo we could find, about 6,000 rounds worth. We depressed the trigger and held it down. Three gunners later the barrel was past cherry, completely white and "drooping" we allowed it to cool, and when we came back the weapon was unusable, the barrel frozen in the reciever, and about a 7 degree "bow" in the barrel.

• Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the heads-up Matt. I'm always interested to hear the straight-dope from guys who have actual experience.

I'm surprised that 12.7x107mm didnt kaboom on you. Must have been funny as hell to see that barrel go white and start melting. Since the Iraqis were using it, it was probably either a Russian NSV or a Chinese Type 77.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    No doubt Bullz- we let go of the trigger quite a few times just to experiance the "cook-off" effect. I'm pretty sure it was a Soviet gun, all of marking were Cyrillic, not Asiatic. Also don't forget that in that region you never know what you're going to find or come across- During the Iran-Iraq war lots of equipment got traded back and forth on the battlefield, and both countries had multiple suppliers, who were in turn, supported by Eastern and Western powers.