In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Visit GLOCK Factory

sodbustersodbuster Member Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2002 in General Discussion
A friend of mine is stationed in Germany. He has a special invitation to tour the Glock Factory the first of next month. He says that he has to get an Austrian passport and figure out a way to get there. Public tours are nonexistant,and this was only accomplished after lots of letter writing, and I wish him the best of luck after months of boring 'gate' duty.

"Just my opinion."

Comments

• Options
    Gordian BladeGordian Blade Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why does he need an Austrian passport and how can he get one if he isn't an Austrian citizen? Something doesn't add up.
  • Options
    Bushy ARBushy AR Member Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I was stationed in Germany,I traveled all over.My military I.D. was all I needed to go to Austria,Holland,Belgum,and elsewhere.Why does he need a passport?When the train stopped at various borders,they would check civilian's passports and look at my I.D. and then we could continue.

Little people talk about people,regular people talk about things,and big people talk about ideas.
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,442 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your friend can't get an Austrian passport unless he is Austrian. There is an open border between Austria and Germany. If you are driving it's just like going from Indiana to Illinois. I assume he is an American, and so he will have no problem flying into Vienna. I was in Vienna 3 weeks ago and looked into a visit. You are right, there are no public visits. I happen to have a couple of Austrian Voere rifles and visited their factory in Kufstein. It was only an hour away from where I was staying in Salzburg. Your friend has a great opportunity. Encourage him to go.

cbxjeffIt's too late for me, save yourself.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys,,this passport thing really had him worried, he was thinking that it would take weeks to get the passport. He was sincere enough about the passport thing that he thought he might have to try to rescedule the tour. I will E-Mail him with the info!!

"Just my opinion."
  • Options
    airborneairborne Member Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I was stationed in Germany, I was at Bad Toltz. It was nothing for us to drive to Salzburg, Austria for dinner. At the border all we had to do was show our Military ID and get waved across. It's more of a hassle for US citizens to cross into Canada and Mexico than for us to enter Austria from Germany.

B - BreatheR - RelaxA - AimS - SightS - Squeeze
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Military ID is a great thing when travelling. However, it can be a double-edged sword. Not all countries accept it in lieu of a passport. While on official military orders to Honduras, my military ID was not enough to get me into the country. I had to have a passport. Also, not possessing a passport while on a trip to a foreign country is a tip to hi-jackers that you are military. It is always good to have a passport even if you have a military ID.
  • Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Probably got some crossed wires here. I imagine if someone said it would be good for him to have a passport, they probably meant an American passport. I envy him the tour, in any case. Heck, I'd be content with Smyrna, if I ever get down that way.

- Life NRA Member
    "If cowardly & dishonorable men shoot unarmed men with army guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary...and not by general deprivation of constitutional privilege." - Arkansas Supreme Court, 1878
  • Options
    edited November -1
    He already had found out that no passport was needed by the time I E-Mailed him back. He's got the pass papers in the works and going to rent a car. He is stationed at Schweinfurt. Anyway, I sure do envy him.

"Just my opinion."
  • Options
    Warpig883Warpig883 Member Posts: 6,459
    edited November -1
    Doesn't Glock own Tupperwear
  • Options
    will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    Toughest Tupperware I ever owned.

~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Options
    concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    CBXjeff, how'd you like Salzburg? That's where my mother is from. We've gone back to visit a few times, once last summer. Nice!

Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT Criminals
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My dad was stationed in Germany between "wars". He drove a tank. One of the coolest things he ever did was give me his tanker jacket. It says Furth-Nurnberg on it, (amongst other things), he told me today that Furth is a suburb of Nurnberg. He always brings up "The Wall" with a smile on his face,,can you guys clue me in??

"Just my opinion."
  • Options
    Shootist3006Shootist3006 Member Posts: 4,171
    edited November -1
    quote: Doesn't Glock own Tupperwear
    NO just the other way around - Tupperware owns GLOCK Have your buddy ask for one of those cool orange peelers that they give away as samples.

Quod principi placuit legis habet vigorem.Semper Fidelis
  • Options
    Matt45Matt45 Member Posts: 3,185
    edited November -1
    Sodbuster-

"The Wall" is part of the old city defenses, when Nuremburg was not much more than a castle and when combat was a muuch more up close personal affair. Nowadays "The Wall" is home to some of the coolest bars at one end (The Green Goose, The Irish Pub), and the prettiest, uhhhh, "Ladies of the evening" at the other.

I can't remember any tank units in Nuremburg proper, (past or present), so, it sounds like your Dad was stationed at either Erlangen or Bamburg. I was a grunt, stationed at Ferris Kaserene (Erlangen) after the Gulf War for about 2 years, and had some really great times there, and abroad in Europe.

Matt

(Hi Guys! Long time no "See")

Reserving my Right to Arm Bears!!!!