In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

GUN CONTROL ADVOCATE MAY HAVE VIOLATED GUN LAWS

Josey1Josey1 Member Posts: 9,598 ✭✭
edited March 2002 in General Discussion
Gun control advocate may have violated gun lawsBy TIMOTHY J. BURGERNew York Daily NewsWASHINGTON - Gun-control advocate Sarah Brady bought her son a powerful rifle for Christmas in 2000 - and may have skirted Delaware state background-check requirements, the New York Daily News has learned.Brady reveals in a new memoir that she bought James Brady Jr. a Remington .30-06, complete with scope and safety lock, at a Lewes, Del., gun shop."I can't describe how I felt when I picked up that rifle, loaded it into my little car and drove home," she writes. "It seemed so incredibly strange: Sarah Brady, of all people, packing heat."Brady became a household name as a crusader for stricter gun-control laws after her husband, James, then the White House press secretary, was seriously wounded in a 1981 assassination attempt on then-President Ronald Reagan.Brady writes in "A Good Fight" that the unnamed gun shop ran federal Brady Law and Delaware state background checks with great fanfare.The book suggests that she did not have her son checked, as required by Delaware state law."(W)hen the owner called in the checks, it seemed to me he spoke unnecessarily loudly, repeating and spelling my name over and over on the phone," Brady writes.Amy Stillwell, a spokeswoman for The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, said the federal Brady Law does not require background checks for intrafamily gun gifts.Stillwell said she did not know whether her son was checked under the state law. The Delaware Department of Justice says the state does not have an exemption for family gifts."Scott is not a convicted felon, and he is not prohibited from owning a gun," Stillwell said. "Scott Brady could walk into a store and buy a - he is not a prohibited purchaser."Delaware Justice Department spokeswoman Lori Sitler said the purchase could be illegal under state law if Brady did not also say who she was buying the gun for and submit his "name, rank and serial number" for a full check."You can't purchase a gun for someone else," Sitler said yesterday. "That would be a 'straw purchase.' You've got a problem right there."Anti-gun control advocates were surprised to hear of Brady's foray into their world."We hope that it's innocuous and there's been no laws violated," said James Jay Baker, chief lobbyist for the National Rifle Association. "It's obviously interesting that Sarah would be purchasing firearms of any kind for anybody, given her championing of restrictive guns laws for everyone."

Comments

• Options
    BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    Arrest her, sieze her property. She is the last person that could plead ignorance of laws as an excuse. Maybe she will finally get the point of just how onerous / ridiculous some of these laws are.This has got to be the most amazing story yet. Thanks, Josey you made my day. Boomer
    Protect our Constitutional Rights. [This message has been edited by Boomerang (edited 03-22-2002).]
  • Options
    Gordian BladeGordian Blade Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just when I thought I'd heard everything, I read something new. Is this for real? As hard as I try, I can't put myself into her mode of thinking. "I want to stop handguns because that's the kind of gun that shot my husband. I'll have a new law named after me (OK, him) that requires checks of all gun purchasers. But long guns are OK, I'll buy one for my son and since the law is named after me (OK, him) I can cheat it a little by saying the gun is for me." I think my brain would shut down if I tried to think those thoughts.
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What a wonderful opportunity for someone in Delaware to file suit for unequal treatment under the law!
  • Options
    mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Anybody on the forum from Delaware? If so, how about asking the State AG to go after her as hard as he/she would if it was "Joe Average Citizen" who made the purchase. Point out to the AG that her notoriety does not exempt her from the law, nor should it prevent him (the AG) from charging her. Let's see if he's got any cojones."C'mon Sandy. I'd do it for you!"Mudge the vindictive
    I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!
  • Options
    pikeal1pikeal1 Member Posts: 2,707
    edited November -1
    The best part about this, is that the most well known crusader for gun control is out buying guns (ok, a gun) for her son. This is a great thing! I was reading in a post here yesterday how all the different gun control groups really don't get along all that great. I'm sure this is only going to worsen the relationships between the Brady campaign and the rest of 'em.
  • Options
    Evil ATFEvil ATF Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ok, here's the "Straw Purchase" law as I understand it. Correct me if I am wrong:If you buy a firearm for someone else with the intent of bypassing the NICS check, then you have made an illegal "Straw Purchase". However, if you buy a firearm as a gift, without intending to bypass the NICs check for yourself and do not deliver the firearm to a known prohibited possessor, then you're okay and it wasn't a "Straw Purchase".As much as I'd like to see the beast nailed to the nearest courtroom wall, I have to say that she is innocent of a "Straw Purchase". What she did was perfectly legal, although blatantly hypocritical, since she purchased a "high-powered sniper rifle" for her son. (Insert Sarcasm Here)Why does he need that kind of power and range?! You can easily take deer with a .308, so why the need for a cop-killer like the 30.06?!
    Stand And Be Counted
  • Options
    KnifecollectorKnifecollector Member Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Someone was asking about this topic so I thought I would bring it back up.
  • Options
    Matt45Matt45 Member Posts: 3,185
    edited November -1
    BTT- This really deserves all the attention it can stand- Gee, I wonder why I didn't see this on CNN??????
    Reserving my Right to Arm Bears!!!!