In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Just wanted to share my good fortune

Matt45Matt45 Member Posts: 3,185
edited October 2001 in General Discussion
I know this is long but, I just had to share all of this with folks who might appreciate it.My wife bought me a Bushmaster XM15E2S 20" as a wedding gift just prior to our wedding last year. The only problem was when I went to zero it, it would not print a group and the strike of the round would not adjust very far. I took it to a friend and mentor of mine who was a shooter and coach on the Air Force Rifle Team. In about 5 minutes,he advised me that the front site was not assembled correctly and had most likely slipped in the jig when it was pinned to the barrel. This was last September.I sent an e-mail to Bushmaster after I returned from my honeymoon in Ireland (Pheasant and partridge hunting was GREAT! But that's another story.)I was told to ship the upper back to them and it would be repaired at no other cost than my postage. Awesome. Great. Wonderful.I then proceed to think about upgrading the reciever to an A-2. Time goes by.Last February I sent them another e-mail. They responded that it would cost me the same. Postage only. If I wanted to upgrade the reciever, they would look at mine (as I did fire an extensive number of through it to determine the intial problem) to determine if they could accept it as a trade, but I should send a check for the full amount of the A-2 reciever.Just when I am all ready to do this, the economy bites me in the shorts. MORE time goes by. I send an E-mail in May- "No problem, same deal sir" is the reply.I finally send the thing to them in September. It comes back in about two weeks, A-2 reciever, teardrop FA, and appears to be repaired. On my way out to the range, I look in the mailbox- a check is in there for $104.00 from Bushmaster. They have only charged me $55.00 for the upgrade and the 'smithing.What a great company! They never asked for proof of purchase, never hassled me about the time frame, and did me a real solid on the upgrade. Like my older Bushmaster, it shoots sub 1" groups at 100 yds.Not only this, but it would seem lightining struck twice. Or maybe three times. I recently purchased a .54 Cal TC Renegade, used from a local shop I've only visited once in a while and this was my first purchase from there.The first ball I loaded "lost" the rifling after about 8" into the barrel and regained it in the last 6" of the barrel.I was not able to get over to that shop for about another month. When I did, the first thing the guy said was, "Well, I don't want to make you mad" and offered to apply my purchase price to another gun. Well OK, but, no .54's on the rack. I really like .54 Cal.His son overheard the conversation and asked me to wait. He leaves and comes back to the counter with a .54 cal barrel, with the tang, rib, and breech- all in the white. The owner proceeded to offer to have this blued for me and installed on my rifle-free of charge.I took his offer.When I went back to pick my rifle up, I asked about .30 carbine dies, and also mentioned that I was looking for another M-1 as I am unhappy with my Universal knock-off.He went in the back and returned with an IBM with matching serial numbers. He then offered it to me for $275.00.I can't pick it up or fill out the paperwork because he just bought it last Monday.I'll have it on Saturday.
Reserving my Right to Arm Bears!!!![This message has been edited by Matt45 (edited 10-26-2001).]

Comments

• Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like another case of good business practices ... take care of the customer and he takes care of you!Congrats! and thank you for supporting your local gun dealer!
    GUN CONTROL: If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes Matt, that's nice, but what I'd really like to know: Does your wife have any single sisters?
  • Options
    whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I want to hear about the bird hunting. Were they driven or did you walk them up? Did a bit of that in England.Clouder..
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Nope, sorry! No single sisters and I kinda like my brother-in-law, he owns a bar.'Nuff said?As far as the Bird hunting, My father-in-law paid for our honeymoon and since we were going to Ireland, he ensured that we stayed at least one night in a castle. When we arrived I was blown away, Castle Killkea was a 5-star hotel and resort. Now, after refreshments, a four course dinner(I had the duck--WOW!), and smoking a really nice cigar while drinking an after dinner cognac in the lounge next to a roaring 15 foot tall fireplace, (eat your heart out those of the Sauve Stylish Smoking Jackets!) I mentioned to the waiter about the lush game I had seen in the area on the drive in. No sooner than did he refill my glass of cognac, did the hotel manager appear asking if I was interested in bird hunting. My eyes musta departed their sockets and I think I remember de-linting my tongue at some point, but, I am reasonably sure I managed to mumble a pathetic yes. Sure enough, "Padraig" arrived in the lounge and asked if I was the American gentleman who wanted to go "..fowling on the next morn?" Again, in a dreamlike state, I belive I replied in the affirmitive, and arraingements were made to meet in the morning at 5 a.m.Sure enough 5 am arrives and Padraig is waiting at the front desk, brief discussion of the mornings hunt over scones, marmelade and hot blck coffe and we were off. We loaded up in his Land Rover and I noted that he had a pair of Brittany Spanials in the back.We unloaded out the Rover about 3 miles from the castle on the side of a road near a break in the hedgerows. Padraig then showed me to the rear of the Rover and presented me with what turned out to be a Browning O/U Ultra XS. WOW, whatta gun! And I don't even really like O/U's! If I recall correctly we were using Eley Grand Prix, High Pheasant #6 with double paper wadding.At any rate, and he was super polite about it, but Padraig wanted to be sure I could hit a Pheasant on the wing, so we shot about 20 clays a piece or so and that seemed to satisfy him, even though I dusted two and missed one. So we loaded back up drove another 4 or 5 miles, unloaded the dogs and began walking through that awesome mist that covers the Emerald Isle at that time of the morning, not enough to hamper you from getting a good clear shot, but enough to keep you from working up a good sweat. About fifty yards into the hunt one of the dogs locked onto a bush in front and to my left, Padraig asked if I were ready, as soon as I said I was, he commanded the dog to flush the bird. One shell, one bird. That's the way it outta be.We hunted in this fashion for about 3 more hours and returned to the Rover, myself with three pheasant, two partridge, Padraig with one peasant and two partridge. Man, those dogs were great! It was like they knew they were on the payroll or something! I know the hual might seem light to some, but I figured out pretty quick that we were not here to shoot everything that presented itself. Back to the castle for a traditional Irish breakfast, (I could care less if it's my heritage-I can't stand blood suasage!)at the conclusion of which I offered to help clean the birds and the guns. Jeez, you woulda thought I just slapped the poor fellow from the look on his face. I began to apologize, and as I did, Padraig told me that mine was the first offer of it's kind in the last 8 years of guiding for this castle.At any rate, no, I didn't clean my own birds or gun, but when I told him I was departing the castle in the afternoon he asked what i would like to do with my game. Since I couldn't send it back to the states, I told him to enjoy! He wouldn't let me off that easy, and asked where we were staying the next night. I told him that we were to stay with a friend of my father's who ran a B & B in my ancestral hometown of Boyle in Co. Roscommon. He called ahead and the lady of the house was apparently very adamant us bringing the bird to her, and dinner plans were made accordingly.
    Reserving my Right to Arm Bears!!!!
  • Options
    .250Savage.250Savage Member Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Damn, Matt45, there aren't really still places and people like that left in this world, are there? C'mon, you're funnin' me, right?
    I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.--Voltare~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes, .250 Savage, indeed there really are! I keep razzin' the wife I'm gonna quit my job and become a full time professional guide back on the Emreald Isle!In reality- Hopefully our 25th Anniversary will hurry the hell up! Hmmm, only 24 more now........
    Reserving my Right to Arm Bears!!!![This message has been edited by Matt45 (edited 10-27-2001).]