In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Why do I take my new guns apart?..Do ya'll do it too?

rodgergliderodgerglide Member Posts: 184 ✭✭✭
edited October 2001 in General Discussion
Having brought home a new gun,I am compelled by some strange need to take it apart,clean it,oil it,and then put it back together.This is before taking it to the range to shoot it.I would not do this to a new car,or appliance.As a long time aircraft mechanic,I like to know how things work,but I don't take them apart unless needed.So..what is this need with guns? Do I need the help of a shrink,or is it normal and I am not the only one.

Comments

• Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actually, understanding the internal working mechanisms of your firearms is responsible and sensible. Grasping that understanding prior to shooting them will enable you to trouble-shoot problems and enable you to make more informed decisions when trying to customize or improve those firearms in any way. When I was young and new to the firearms scene (shortly after I changed my liberal views on firearms) I found myself doing the same thing. I can think of one or two firearms I purchased and did the exact same thing before trading or selling them so I could afford to get another one and do the same thing. Now I only buy what I know I will hold onto for a very long time.
  • Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have suffered from this condition since I was a small child. I would take apart my toys to see how they were put together...unfortunately this curiousity continued well into my adult life. Several examples come to mind, once took a coo coo clock apart, cost me $125 to have someone reassemble it. Another time I disassembled a Luger, that cost me about $75. Now I try to understand my limitations and read instruction manuals.
  • Options
    compgunfirecompgunfire Member Posts: 95 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Taking apart your new and used firearm purchases prior to firing them for the first time is a very good idea. Many gun mfg. coat the weapons they make with a light grade machine oil to protect it from rusting while in transit, stortage and awaiting sale in some gunstore. Ask your local dealer how many firearms he receives without some kind of oil and/or grease on the weapon on it that he has to wipe off before he puts it in the display case.Taking this gun out and firing it without a through cleaning is a mistake (read the instruction manual, it usually tells you to clean the weapon before use - you did read the owners manual first, right ?). By shooting the firearm without cleaning it first, you bake on that inital coating of oil and/or grease. Making the gun harder to clean.
  • Options
    badboybobbadboybob Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Read the owner's manual? I thought it was just packing material
    So many guns to buy. So little money.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dont take a guilt trip on that account. There's often had good reason to examine gun innards to inspect for damaged or broken parts and to clean,degrease,derust,deburr or polish parts.An occasional flying spring and follower may be the cost of the game. A benefit of looking was in finding a cracked gear with broken out tooth in the accessory drive case of a E-185-8 (O-470) engine.
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    I do it every time. As an engineer and former tool maker, I take the time to inspect it, remove any burrs, (only found on true production guns) and clean it and reassemble. I think you would be crazy to fire a gun that hasn't been disassembled and cleaned before hand.
    Save, research, then buy the best.Join the NRA, NOW!Teach them young, teach them safe, teach them forever, but most of all, teach them to VOTE!
  • Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    No way. Ever since I took my clarinet apart, with the goal of putting it back together, and then realizing I could not put it back together, I leave technical things to the experts.
  • Options
    john carrjohn carr Member Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a Nagant carbine at the last gun show, thought the bolt opened with a little difficulty, didn't know it was a cock-on-opening, took the bolt apart and almost didn't get it back together, and I'm not a novice with guns. But that's part of the fun.
  • Options
    mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rembrandt....my man....we of the testosterone gender DO NOT ask directions and DO NOT read instruction manuals....for ANYTHING.We may have to take a closer look at your Smoking Jacket club application.Mudge
    I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!
  • Options
    varmit huntervarmit hunter Member Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just take them apart.I have to polish every moving part.What is this dirctions thing of what you speak?
    A unarmed man is a subject.A armed man is a citizen.
  • Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mudge, sorry I slipped up....it won't happen again.
  • Options
    will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    I do that too! Good thing though, I found a broken rail in my 597. If I had fired it I could have possibly hurt the gun or myself. Other than that I think it's just a man thing, I just can't help myself. (Hard to stop me when my tool box is 6'2" and jammed packed full!)
    If you run, you'll just die tired! will270win@aol.com
  • Options
    shaneshane Member Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also feel the need to tinker with my new guns. I consider it part of the breakin period.
    Sir Shane of the~Secret Select Society of Sauve Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Options
    .250Savage.250Savage Member Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've done it a lot too. It's natural to want to see how the thing works, and guns are such intricate little mechanisms.
    I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.--Voltare~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Options
    218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    And then mrs..218,comes out to the garage,and says"it`s going to be 3 oclock in the morning".And that don`t help a thang!!!.218
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Well, I take some apart. If it's a complex little pistol, forget it- but a military rifle, oh yeah.
    "...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conference in 1899.
  • Options
    Matt45Matt45 Member Posts: 3,185
    edited November -1
    Seems like sound practice to me. I bought an SKS for my little brother and during disassembly found that the gas piston was sheared off.That coulda taken a nice day of shooting and put it 180 degrees out from good.
    Reserving my Right to Arm Bears!!!!