In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Shipping ORM-D

mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2005 in General Discussion
I'm sure this has been covered before.............but..........could someone with experience shipping ORM-D via UPS give me the quick basics?

Can I just do a handwritten ORM-D label?
Packaged on my own? Do they have to inspect it before shipping?
What is the extra cost associated with ORM-D?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    just draw a box on the package and put in "ORD-M" under line and "consumer comodity (or ssa (small arms ammo)). this is just a ground only designation, no extra shipping charges.
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mohawk, the italicized is my boilerplate reply to this inquiry . . . .

(1) On the label, it really depends on how * the terminal manager & driver may be. I used black marker for years then had a bunch of packages returned for "improper labeling" so I had to cobble some up on the computer. I can send you a .jpg you can print out and use if you wish to contact me via the eMail icon.

(2) You can pkg on your own and they don't inspect.

(3) No extra cost on ORM-D . . . it is NOT HazMat!

Unless state or local regulations / laws specify otherwise, you may ship ammo within the continental US w/o an FFL (don't need it for AK or HI, but see below) to another party who does not have an FFL. Be aware that some jurisdictions have stringent restrictions on the types & calibers of ammo which may be received (particularly military surplus loadings); check with the ATF website to determine if this foolish PC nonsense applies to you or the recipient. Also be aware that MA requires you have a copy of the recipient's FOID - possibly IL as well. Live ammo may *only* be shipped by common carrier (i.e.: UPS, FedEx) by *ground* transport (unless you invest in expensive Hazmat training with the carriers). No 'hazmat' penalties apply; however, the container must be marked on one side "Small Arms Ammunition Cartridges ORM-D" (short for "Other Regulated Material - class D"). Technically, this verbiage must be outlined by a line box at least .250" larger than the verbiage. For years, I just marked my boxes with marker, but then I ran into a real * set of hoplophobic types at the local UPS termninal who sent back all my boxes, opened, because the labels were not *exactly* as specified by regulations. It is illegal to ship by USPS (Postal regs, Pub 52, Section 341.21c). Be aware that both of the common carriers apparently give the terminal managers and drivers wide latitude in accepting / rejecting packages, so a UPS location in your area may refuse to accept a package while FedEx will, or vice versa. If you are frustrated by the locals, a call to the national customer service center with a request for them to contact the local terminal will usually - but not always - resolve the problem. Cost varies by weight, distance and recipient. In reference to the latter, there are surcharges for residential deliveries and deliveries to 'rural' zip codes. You can determine the charges in advance by accessing the carriers' websites and entering the zipcodes, weight, insured value, dimensions, etc. These charges are front-end loaded, so shipping a ten pound package will often cost less than twice the charges on a one pound package. On small items, cost typically runs $6 to $11. FedEx Ground is usually cheaper than UPS, but their drivers have much more difficulty with rural addresses. OTOH, FedEx seems to have far less political problems with ammo and similar material.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the french." (Mark Twain)
  • Options
    MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    If you plan on selling and shipping a lot of ammo look at the se nice ormD stickers[:D]
    http://www.mavericklabel.com/products/convert-category_browse&product=41&category=65.php

ALL AMERICAN INFIDEL
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Let me get this straight....
    Loaded ammo is NOT Haz Mat...
    Primers ARE Haz Mat
    Powder IS Haz mat....

DO I have that right????
  • Options
    PJPJ Member Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You do.
    Pete

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live"
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bpost: yes.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the french." (Mark Twain)
  • Options
    MosinNagantDiscipleMosinNagantDisciple Member Posts: 2,612
    edited November -1
    My UPS hub uses a more detailed ORM-D label. They have you list what it is in the top box (Small Arms Cartridges) and then the caliber in the bottom box. In my view this would make the package more conspicuous and more likely to be stolen, but what choice do I have?

mnd.jpg
  • Options
    MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    You can get an account with UPS and print and pay online, slap an ORM D sticker on it and drop it off at the brown store counter. They never said a word about it.

ALL AMERICAN INFIDEL
  • Options
    EOD GuyEOD Guy Member Posts: 931
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost1958
    Let me get this straight....
    Loaded ammo is NOT Haz Mat...
    Primers ARE Haz Mat
    Powder IS Haz mat....

DO I have that right????

No, loaded ammunition is a hazardous material under Department of Transportation regulations and is classed as a Division 1.4S explosive material. It can be reclassed as ORM-D if packaged properly in limited amounts (<66 lbs) and does not usually incur a Hazmat charge.

Even when reclassed as ORM-D it is still a hazardous material and subject to the DOT regulations.
  • Options
    woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    Don't take your package to a UPS storefront operation, ie Staples, etc. I believe it needs to be shipped from an actual UPS counter. The UPS rules and regulations are on their website. There is no requirement that you label caliber or any such detailed info. ORM-D and ammo-small arms is all that is required.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Here are the actual DOT regulations concerning the shipment of small arms ammunition:

quote:Code of Federal Regulations, Title 49, Part 173

173.63 Packaging exceptions

(b) Cartridges, small arms, and cartridges power devices. (1) Cartridges, small arms and cartridges power devices (which are used to project fastening devices) which have been classed as a Division 1.4S explosive may be reclassed, offered for transportation, and transported as ORM-D material when packaged in accordance with paragraph (b)(2) of this section; such transportation is excepted from the requirements of subparts E (Labeling) and F (Placarding) of part 172 of this subchapter. Cartridges, small arms, and cartridges power devices that may be shipped as ORM-D material is limited to:

(i) Ammunition for rifle, pistol, or shotgun;
    (ii) Ammunition with inert projectiles or blank ammunition;
    (iii) Ammunition having no tear gas, incendiary, or detonating explosive projectiles;
    (iv) Ammunition not exceeding 12.7 mm (50 caliber or 0.5 inch) for rifle or pistol, cartridges or 8 gauge for shotshells; and
    (v) Cartridges power devices which are use to project fastening devices.

(2) Packaging for cartridges, small arms, and cartridges power devices as ORM-D material must be as follows:
    (i) Ammunition must be packed in inside boxes, or in partitions which fit snugly in the outside packaging, or in metal clips;
    (ii) Primers must be protected from accidental initiation;
    (iii) Inside boxes, partitions or metal clips must be packed in securely-closed strong outside packagings;
    (iv) Maximum gross weight is limited to 30 Kg (66 pounds) per package; and
    (v) Cartridges, power devices which are used to project fastening devices and 22 caliber rim-fire cartridges may be packaged loose in strong outside packagings.

Part 172 (Marking)

172.316 Packagings containing material classed as ORM-D

(a) Each non-bulk packaging containing a material classed as ORM-D must be marked on at least one side or end with the ORM-D designation immediately following or below the proper shipping name of the material (Cartridges, Small Arms). The ORM designation must be placed within a rectangle that is approximately 6.3 mm (0.25 inches) larger on each side than the designation.

(b) The marking ORM-D is the certification by the person offering the packaging for transportation that the material is properly described, classed, packaged, marked and labeled (when appropriate) and in proper condition for transportation according to the applicable regulations of this subchapter.
  • Options
    mrjkbmrjkb Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is a great source for ORM-D labels. http://www.adazonusa.com/ormdlabels214x1381000perroll-p-90.html
    Many gun shops buy and use these labels from this source and they are the official, approved label.

Barcode Labels, Barcode Printers, Bar Code Scanners and Laser Labels at www.AdaZonUSA.com
  • Options
    jdyerjdyer Member Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just curious - what if you don't mark the box at all and pretend it's a toy or something?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jdyer

Just curious - what if you don't mark the box at all and pretend it's a toy or something?

You would then be in violation of DOT regulations (49CFR) for offering an undeclared hazardous material shipment. The minimum civil fine for such a violation is $15,000 a DAY for each day the package is in transportation. That doesn't include any criminal penalties.

DOT is very proactive in prosecuting undeclared HAZMAT shipments. An undeclared HAZMAT shipment is what brought down the Valuejet flight in Florida which killed everyone on board. The shippers in that case went to jail.
  • Options
    jdyerjdyer Member Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oops! - I'll never do that.

What's the penalty for sending handguns via ground service? As an FFL I have received several handguns from sellers from USPS and UPS ground. And, how do they find out; random X-ray?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jdyer

Oops! - I'll never do that.

What's the penalty for sending handguns via ground service? As an FFL I have received several handguns from sellers from USPS and UPS ground. And, how do they find out; random X-ray?

Via UPS, no violation of law, just of UPS policy, as long as the recipient is a licensee. If shipped via USPS by a nonlicensee, the shipper is the one who violated the law. I don't know what legal obligation the recipient of an illegal shipment has.