In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Opossum and Dogs

bullseye119bullseye119 Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
edited April 2017 in General Discussion
Hi Everyone,
I have been an enthusiastic observer here and I am always amazed at the group knowledge. I need some advice. I was in my backyard in Houston, tx and my dog came running up with a baby opossum in her mouth. No marks on my dog. Shots are up to date. Do i have anything ro worry about? I am city folk and I have no idea if I have a problem or just a great dog.

Now that I have dipped my toe in the water on posting, this is one of my favorite things to check in the morning! You guys are really a lot of fun
You

Comments

• Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Probably nothing to worry about, but a call to your vet wouldn't hurt.

And welcome to the asylum. Grab a straightjacket and join in. [:D]
  • Options
    RadarRadar Member Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dog will be fine, but you ?
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,047 ******
    edited November -1
    Was the possum dead or alive?

A baby possum means there's a momma possum and probably more babies in the liter. Your dog may go back for another.
    Posum can carry rabies.
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk
    Welcome!!

No way to tell if a dog has rabies without killing it anyway, so I wouldn't worry about it unless it starts acting weird or really thirsty.

Nothing you can do. Dog's probably fine.

Yep,about what I would've said, only adding that a baby possum has a less chance of having rabies than an adult.

Also as said by others, there will be the mother hanging around, so keep your dog at bay so she does not get scratched or bitten by the mother that might have rabies
  • Options
    randomnutrandomnut Member Posts: 942 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have Drahthaars. They bring me so many possums, *, skunks, etc. Hell, anything they find, they normally kill and bring to hand.

Possums usually play dead, and after the retrieve, I thank the dogs and release the possum. Unless it was a defiant possum, I'm sure you're all good.
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dog is fine.
    Skunks, Raccoons, Foxes, and Bats are the major carriers and it's quite rare anymore.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hasn't your dog had his shots? I wouldn't worry about it if my dog had his rabies shot.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How is the possum doing?
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by montanajoe

A baby possum means there's a momma possum and probably more babies in the liter. Your dog may go back for another.
    Posum can carry rabies.

While they Can carry rabies, it's rare that they do.
    A possum's normal body temp is so low the rabies virus seldom survives in possums.
    http://www.wildlife-removal.com/possumrabies.html
    The best defense is to keep dogs properly vaccinated.
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not much risk, don't worry about it. Running * hounds we get into lots of possums when training pups. Your dogs shots are up to date and there is little risk the possum had anything to start with.
  • Options
    84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
    edited November -1
    OMG!!

Is the Possum gonna be okay??

I would not be concerned with my dogs shots up to date. Also (as previously stated,) with it being a youngster, extremely doubtful it would have rabies. I would be more concerned about a bite from an adult.

(And) Welcome to the forums. Keep on posting. Just maintain a thick skin.
  • Options
    TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do possums carry diseases?
    Opossums carry diseases such as leptospirosis, tuberculosis, relapsing fever, tularemia, spotted fever, toxoplasmosis, coccidiosis, tricsameniasis, and Chagas disease. They may also be infested with fleas, ticks, mites, and lice. Opossums are hosts for cat and dog fleas, especially in urban environments.
  • Options
    beneteaubeneteau Member Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by montanajoe

Posum can carry rabies.

Any mammal can get rabies. However, the chance of rabies in an opossum is EXTREMELY RARE. This may have something to do with the opossum's low body temperature (94-97? F) making it difficult for the virus to survive in an opossum's body.
    0M9InwN.gif[
  • Options
    rambo rebelrambo rebel Member Posts: 4,028
    edited November -1
    since they eat dead things, usually road kill (natures clean up crew)they will have a lot of bad bacteria in their saliva but other than infection from that I wouldn't worry about much else. check the dog for bites, treat those well and all will be fine. I would NOT call authorities for "help". if an infection happens tell the vet you have no clue what bit the dog or you may very well lose the dog.