In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

4 rocket-launcher tubes confiscated

Josey1Josey1 Member Posts: 9,598 ✭✭
edited October 2001 in General Discussion
4 rocket-launcher tubes confiscatedBy The Denver Post Tuesday, October 09, 2001 - Military investigators confiscated four inoperable rocket-launcher tubes from an arms dealer in Aurora last week and destroyed them, putting an end to a bizarre tale. Dan King, 46, an unlicensed arms broker who works as a middleman selling weapons over the Internet, said he has sold more than a dozen military rocket-launcher tubes this year. King said he buys them for an average of $70 each from a gun dealer in Arizona and others at the Tanner Gun Show in Denver. He said he then resells them for an average of $200 each on eBay, one of the online auction sites on the Internet. King recently sold an LAW (light anti-tank weapon) tube and an AT-4 tube, a larger version of the same weapon, to a man in California, shipping them by UPS, he said. King accused the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms of intercepting the packages, opening them and confiscating them. He has not been charged. But ATF officials in Denver say the California buyer received the inoperative tubes, was dissatisfied with the purchase and told UPS to send them back to King. When the UPS driver showed up at King's house on the 1200 block of Dayton Street, King wouldn't sign for them but told the driver to throw them over the back fence and his dogs would guard them, the ATF said. The driver accidentally broke open one of the packages and notified police, who notified the ATF, officials said. The ATF notified Special Agent Brian Phillips of the criminal division of the military police at Fort Carson. With King's consent, the Army searched his house Oct. 2 and found two more rocket-launcher tubes, which were confiscated. All four tubes were destroyed. At least one of the rocket-launcher tubes had been stolen from Fort Leonard Wood Army Base in Missouri, according to ATF officials. ATF records show that King purchased the stolen tube from a gun dealer in St. Louis. Because the tubes cannot be fired and cannot be reloaded to be fired, they are not classified as weapons or destructive devices, ATF officials said. The military is treating the tubes as stolen government property. http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1002,53~174368,00.html

Comments

• Options
    wiredogwiredog Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    when I was in the army we used to run over the tubes with a vehicle to break or damage them. the only thing i want to know is WHY anybody would even want one? and i damn sure wouldn't pay $200 for one if I did. just goes to show you p.t. barnum was right. there is one born every minute.
    I spent all my money on guns, women, and beer. The rest I just wasted.wiredog70@hotmail.com