In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What's digging...Weasel?

tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
edited August 2015 in General Discussion
..Our garden now has three mounds of dirt, each about 1/2 bushel on the surface. The holes are only about 2" in diameter. It's not gophers (13 stripe ground squirrels) as they've been around forever and stay in the ditches and don't make mounds. I'm thinking a weasel of some sort. They can shinny down a mighty narrow hole.
..They/it doesn't seem to bother anything in the garden. If it's a weasel, am I correct in thinking they're carnivorous and maybe keeping the mice under control? Quite the quandary whether to trap it or leave him alone..What ya think?

Comments

• Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Dale, I think I would HAVE to trap one just to see what it is!! If it's a weasel just let it go.[^]
  • Options
    wiplashwiplash Member Posts: 7,146 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any tracks?
    There is no such thing as Liberal Men, only Liberal Women with Penises.'
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wiplash
    Any tracks?

.. No, it's been too dry. These mounds just appeared over the last ten days. I suppose tilling will even it out, as long as "it's" not hurting anything. Maybe I'll try a live trap with meat or fish. I'd been thinking about a Conibear but if it's eating mice, I want to leave it alone.
  • Options
    craigroopcraigroop Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ..I set a live trap with hard salami for bait. If it's a weasel,
    I'll let him go back to do his thing. I hope he's killing
    mice...[?]
  • Options
    diver-rigdiver-rig Member Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Corn's starting to turn here in the Midwest. 1st of Sept next week.

Ya'll know what that means-

Corn monkey rut will be kicking into high gear.

They do like digging. Better have someone there to watch your back while you're checking your traps!