In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

yellow jacket, fun times

1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
edited October 2018 in General Discussion
no i'm not grumpy [:D]

cleaning off our patio getting ready for city clean up with my wife and son, he picked up a rug that had a German yellow-jacket nest in it and got stung twice, as soon as he was hauling * so did i, the wife how ever did not and got stung 6 times, i evaded it at this time and of course you never tend to extend sympathy when it happens

well im up next, the rug is about 3x6 but kinda folded up with a large nest inside, so i get on long pants, leather jacket with hood, leather gloves and start a fire in a burn barrel about 15 yards away from the burn barrel, with son holding the back door , i snatch up the rug holding it out from me, run towards the fire, about 6 feet away my left calf gets hit with what feels like a 2x4 and a rusty nail, my leg starts to give out i got 10 more feet to safety but i dont give in until i make it into the house, i pictured myself falling and getting 100 stings and just cant go down now

in the house and safe, no hitchhikers, not sure how many stings i got, it doesnt really hurt till i take a step, then damn feels like a torn hamstring does, but on my calf

last week i got it 3 times from wasp i one of the sheds, i dont think they have jack on these little bastages

and yes she now has my sympathy

Comments

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Know the feeling. Got it 11 times last month in 1 day, but was okay. Itched for a week though. Neighbor had to go to the ER since he didn't know he was allergic to them.. Evil little buzzards, I call them the devil's doves..
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,035 ******
    edited November -1
    Dammm!!!!!![:0][:0][V][V]
  • Options
    wiplashwiplash Member Posts: 7,146 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would call out for full blown War! Including Nukes![:(!]
    There is no such thing as Liberal Men, only Liberal Women with Penises.'
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am a little confused. Yellow jackets are ground nesters, and the German wasps are not yellow jackets. If you have them correctly identified as the imported German wasp, they are very aggressive and are mass stingers. A professional colleague died from over 100 stings from them.

When wasps and bees sting, they also spray you with a pheromone that tells their nest mates, "Sting here." A hasty retreat is definitely called for.
  • Options
    Cornflk1Cornflk1 Member Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Next time I think I would go with chemical warfare as opposed to scorched earth[^]
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Cornflk1
    Next time I think I would go with chemical warfare as opposed to scorched earth[^]

+1

When they are yeller and black, it don't matter what country they are from, they are bad dudes.

Damn lucky you did not fall down and get mauled severely.

I would have used chemical warfare, but not report it to the United Nations.
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Still have my problems, but been lucky only stung once so far. But that one put me down for most of a day.

Picked up my tailgate and felt it buzzing. Drowned all of them.

Then I was putting in some better reverse lights(led flood lights) Had the tip of my screw driver break off. Took a hammer and chisel to get that screw out. Should have seen the yellow-jacket nest that dropped off the truck while I was hammering.

Looked under and cannot see them.

Think I need to go park in the Willamette and drown them.[8D]
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My neighbor ended up waiting until it was dark and they were in their little home watching tv for the night, then all of a sudden a pressure washer and about 10 minutes made a real nice smoothie out of them and they were no longer around..[^]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1-fan
    https://ento.psu.edu/extension/factsheets/german-yellowjackets

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vespula_germanica

https://www.rescue.com/bugs/yellowjackets/german-yellowjacket/

some days it just doesn't pay to post anything here

Well shut my mouth, learn something new every day.[:I] I have never seen them called yellow jackets before, but I guess that name is only used in the U.S. Anyway, stay away from them!
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Once upon a time we owned a washing machine but no dryer, clothes always were dried outside on the line.

One the the Wicked Itch brought clothes in and folded them neatly placing them in the drawer, I was just getting out of the shower. Dried off, went into the bedroom and started getting dressed. Pulled pit a freh pair of jeans and slipped them on, a few seconds later my inner though started burning. I reached down to my thigh as a normal reflex and felt what reminded me of a mini vibrator, that?s when I realized something was wrong. Yanked those pants off in record time while doing an exxagerated version of the Pee Pee dance.

There was a pair of wasps in those jeans, I?m screaming bloody murder, panicked because that was close to my manhood and I wasn?t sure that there wasn?t anymore wasps getting ready to attack.

The Wicked Itch, that was the funniest crap she had ever seen, I resisted the urge to plant my foot square in her mouth.

I bought a dryer that weekend and tore down the clothes line.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    day 2

i don't think it was a sting after all, i believe i tore my calf muscle, it looks and feels like the time i pulled my hamstring 30 years ago, a black and blue stripe on it, no sign of a sting, swollen and hard as a rock, severe pain if any weight is on it, and the whole leg collapses
  • Options
    84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Big Sky Redneck
    Once upon a time we owned a washing machine but no dryer, clothes always were dried outside on the line.

One the the Wicked Itch brought clothes in and folded them neatly placing them in the drawer, I was just getting out of the shower. Dried off, went into the bedroom and started getting dressed. Pulled pit a freh pair of jeans and slipped them on, a few seconds later my inner though started burning. I reached down to my thigh as a normal reflex and felt what reminded me of a mini vibrator, that?s when I realized something was wrong. Yanked those pants off in record time while doing an exxagerated version of the Pee Pee dance.

There was a pair of wasps in those jeans, I?m screaming bloody murder, panicked because that was close to my manhood and I wasn?t sure that there wasn?t anymore wasps getting ready to attack.

The Wicked Itch, that was the funniest crap she had ever seen, I resisted the urge to plant my foot square in her mouth.

I bought a dryer that weekend and tore down the clothes line.

You have "Manhood?" Who knew? [:0][B)][:D][}:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1-fan
    day 2

i don't think it was a sting after all, i believe i tore my calf muscle, it looks and feels like the time i pulled my hamstring 30 years ago, a black and blue stripe on it, no sign of a sting, swollen and hard as a rock, severe pain if any weight is on it, and the whole leg collapses

Not sure that is better, but at least a pulled muscle can't kill you. I prescribe a new gun.[:D]