In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

gun caliber comparison

beaverislandbeaverisland Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited February 2002 in General Discussion
I would like to find a resource that can provide information on the differences between calibers for rifles. I am going moose hunting this fall and would like to determine what my firearm options are before I buy a rifle.

Comments

• Options
    ysacresysacres Member Posts: 294 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The shooters bible has everything you would ever need to know.You can pick one up at wal-mart (sporting goods dept) for $24
    chity chity bang bang
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Gun Digest also has listings,ballistics charts etc. It would be a good idea to stop in a large gun store and handle the various types of rifles in the heavier calibers to see which style you're most comfortable with.Look at bolt actions, pump actions,lever actions and semi automatics in .308 or above.A scope sight might not be appropriate.
  • Options
    agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    I've harvested 19 moose so maybe I can be of a little bit of help. 270 with 150 grainers, 7mm Mag with 175's, 308 Win with 180 grainers, 30-06 with 200 grainers and the 338 with 225 or 250 grainers are all preticle choices. Don't get to wrapped up in ballistic charts as foot pounds of energy don't have a lot of persuasion with me. Moose are not really hard to put down, they just don't seem to know when they are dead and will just stand there and dare you to try it again.
    AlleninAlaska
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,977 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not to suggest that a guy who has shot 19 mooses did not give you good advice, but if you also want a book on cartridges Cartridges of the World 9th Ed. is a great resource.
  • Options
    REBJrREBJr Member Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    he dog, ain't that 19 meese?
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,977 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ain't my face red! Actually I suspect moose is both singular and plural.